REVISED OWNER REVIEW - Black Rock 'Sportsman' Down Beanie

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2012
      Black Rock 'Sportsman' Down Beanie
      BY PETER RAIFF
      OR
      November 16, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Peter Raiff
      EMAIL: raiffnuke@...
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: North Adams, Massachusetts, US
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      I consider myself a lightweight backpacker that is tending towards Ultra Light.
      I hike with a typical overnight pack weight of 15-20 lbs (6.8-9.1 kg) and a
      multi-day weight of 20-25 lbs (9.1-11.3 kg). I am a, experienced and dedicated
      hammock camper that enjoys spending time in the outdoors with my family and
      dogs.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Black Rock Gear
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.blackrockgear.com/"
      LINK TEXT = "Black Rock Gear">>
      MSRP: US$85
      Listed Weight: 1.09 oz (31 g)
      Other details: Size Large, head size 21-23.5 in

      FIELD USE

      I decided that I wanted a down hat for winter camping, and being in the North
      East with the unpredictable weather in the mountains, I wanted a waterproof hat.
      Then I ran across the Black Rock <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE -
      "http://www.blackrockgear.com/sportsman.html" LINK TEXT = "Sportsman">>! This
      hat fit all of the requirements that I wanted: lightweight, warm, waterproof,
      and blaze orange for safety in hunting season.

      I have worn this hat between 30-40 nights on the trail, camping in all types of New England weather in temperatures ranging from 50°F
      (10°C) to -5°F (-20°C). Most of my trips that I worn the hat has been during the winter in windy and/or snowy conditions on hikes to places like Stratton Pond in Vermont. The Sportsman has proven to be an extremely warm and water resistant beanie. As I am a hammock camper and use a top quilt instead of a mummy bag, I even sleep in my Sportsman during the winter weather to keep my head warm. The Sportsman works well in cool fall weather as well. I have worn it on many cool nights on Mt. Greylock in Massachusetts. I roll the bottom edge of the hat up a little bit to regulate how warm the hat is, and that makes a real difference if I find that my head is getting too hot. I have also found that due to its waterproof shell that it does not breath very well (the shell acts as a vapor barrier), so I cannot wear it while hiking as my head quickly overheats and gets sweaty.

      Available Colors (From <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.blackrockgear.com/"
      LINK TEXT = "Black Rock Gear">>)

      Hunters Orange - A brilliant Orange fabric that showcases the unique fill
      qualities of the down with its semi-translucent sheen.

      Expedition Black - A beautiful run of black double sil coated nylon. The deep
      sheen gives this Black Rock Hat a stunning and impressive look.

      SUMMARY

      This is a great hat if you are looking for warmth, lightweight, and packability.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight
      Extremely warm
      Packability
      Available in Blaze Orange

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Not very breathable. (Acts as a vapor barrier)

      SIGNATURE

      Peter Raiff

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2012
          Hello Peter,

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest (BGT). Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please. You can also put a copy of the review, in HTML form, in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
          http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          Ray

          *** I am a, experienced and dedicated hammock camper that enjoys spending time in the outdoors with my family and dogs.

          EDIT: I am "an" experienced and dedicated hammock camper

          ***Listed Weight: 1.09 oz (31 g)

          EDIT: I see it listed in Large as 30 g. Was yours different?

          EDIT: you also need to list the actual weight, taken by you. If you don't have a scale (yet) you can take it to the post office and use the one at the self-serve packing center.

          ***Other details: Size Large, head size 21-23.5 in

          EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc.

          ***Then I ran across the Black Rock <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE -
          "http://www.blackrockgear.com/sportsman.html" LINK TEXT = "Sportsman">>!

          EDIT: you don't need the link again, just up in the product info.

          This hat fit all of the requirements that I wanted: lightweight, warm, waterproof,
          and blaze orange for safety in hunting season.

          EDIT: OK, that is a good start. Now you need to write a description of the hat in your own words. (Not pasted from the company website.) If you want to shoot me an email (rayestrella AT hotmail DOT com) I will send you the new lessons that explain it much better than the current ones do. Or take a look at some existing reviews from veteran writers and look at how they handled it.

          ***Most of my trips that I worn the hat has been during the winter

          EDIT: Most of "the" trips that I "have" worn the hat "have" been during the winter

          *** I even sleep in my Sportsman during the winter weather to keep my
          head warm.

          EDIT: delete "weather"

          ***Available Colors (From <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.blackrockgear.com/"
          LINK TEXT = "Black Rock Gear">>)

          Please delete the link. We only allow the top level URL as product links change too often. In fact your color is not even available as I edit this, so just remove all the color info and let the reader see what is available themselves.

          ***This is a great hat if you are looking for warmth, lightweight, and packability.

          Comment: you like its packability yet there is no mention of it in the review. How do you stuff it? Into a pocket or just shoved in the pack? How small does it get to? That would be good info to include.

          ***Available in Blaze Orange

          EDIT: since it is not available this needs to be removed. Or changed to: Was able to get it in Blaze Orange