OWNER REVIEW - Black Rock 'Sportsman' Down Beanie

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2012
      Black Rock 'Sportsman' Down Beanie
      BY PETER RAIFF
      OR
      November 16, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Peter Raiff
      EMAIL: raiffnuke@...
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: North Adams, Massachusetts, US
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      I consider myself a lightweight backpacker that is tending towards Ultra Light. I hike with a typical overnight pack weight of 15-20 lbs (6.8-9.1 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20-25 lbs (9.1-11.3 kg). I am a, experienced and dedicated hammock camper that enjoys spending time in the outdoors with my family and dogs.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Black Rock Gear
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.blackrockgear.com/" LINK TEXT = "Black Rock Gear">>
      MSRP: US$85
      Listed Weight: 1.09 oz (31 g)
      Other details:Size Large, head size 21-23.5 in

      FIELD USE

      I decided that I wanted a down hat for winter camping, and being in the North East with the unpredictable weather in the mountains, I wanted a waterproof hat. Then I ran across the Black Rock <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.blackrockgear.com/sportsman.html" LINK TEXT = "Sportsman">>! This hat fit all of the requirements that I wanted: lightweight, warm, waterproof, and blaze orange for safety in hunting season.

      I have worn this hat in all types of weather in temperatures ranging from 50°F (10°C) to -5°F (-20°C). The Sportsman has proven to be an extremely warm beanie. I even sleep in it during the winter weather to keep my head warm. I have found that due to its waterproof shell that it does not breath very well, so I cannot wear it while hiking as my head quickley overheats and gets sweaty.

      Available Colors (From <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.blackrockgear.com/" LINK TEXT = "Black Rock Gear">>)

      Hunters Orange - A brilliant Orange fabric that showcases the unique fill qualities of the down with it's semi-translucent sheen.

      Expedition Black - A beautiful run of black double sil coated nylon. The deep sheen gives this Black Rock Hat a stunning and impressive look.

      SUMMARY

      This is a great hat if you are looking for warmth, lightweight, and packability.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight
      Extremeley warm
      Packability
      Available in Blaze Orange

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Not very breathable. (Acts as a vapor barrier)

      SIGNATURE

      Peter Raiff

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2012
        Welcome to BGT Peter

        Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report. You will also want to add field information about a few of your outings. The phrase, "I've worn it in all types of weather" needs to be fleshed out a bit.
        Once you have added this info please repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

        I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Editors Team Director