OR Black Diamond Fleece Tights - Frances Penn [for November call]

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2012
      http://tinyurl.com/ae942br

      BLACK DIAMOND FLEECE TIGHTS
      BY FRANCES PENN
      OR
      November 19, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Costa Mesa, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Black Diamond Sportswear
      Model Name: Double Diamond
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.sierratradingpost.com" LINK TEXT = "www.sierratradingpost.com">>
      MSRP: US $24.95
      Listed Weights:
      Men's version: 10 oz (283 g)
      Women's version: 6 oz (170 g)
      Measured Weights:
      Men's version: 10 oz (283 g)
      Women's version: 6 oz (170 g)
      Materials: 100% polyester
      Inseams:
      Men's: 32" (81 cm)
      Women's: 30" (76 cm)
      Men's sizes currently available: Large and 2 Extra Large
      Women's sizes currently available: Small, Medium, Large, 1 Extra Large
      Made in China

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "courtesy website">>

      These microfleece tights are made of microsoft polyester that fits snug to be used as a base layer. They are lightweight and breathable. The seams and bottom hem are flatlock stitched for a smooth feel that does not bunch during wear.

      FIELD USE

      I have worn both the women's and men's models, but I currently wear the men's model because they fit me better. The men's inseam is longer, the waistband is not as tight. The fit is much tighter on the women's version. I have worn my fleece tights as pajamas on every backpacking trip for the last three years, which I estimate to be at least 25 trips or more. The temperatures are usually 30 to 40 (4 to -1 C). Depending on the temperatures, I wear them alone or over bottom thermal underwear. They are comfortable in both configurations, but obviously a little tighter when worn over thermals. All of the seams are flatlock stitched. The side seams only run along the inside of the legs. The bottom hem is flatlock stitched without being folded over so they don't create bulk under my fleece socks. The waistband is 1 3/4 inches wide and allows me to tuck in my thermal top for extra warmth. The wide waistband does not bind or restrict my movement. The material is just as soft on the inside as it is on the outside.

      What I really enjoy about wearing these tights is that I can wear them in camp while making dinner and in the morning during breakfast and it doesn't look like I have my underwear on. Once I wore them to a winter outdoor party and no one noticed I was wearing my backpacking pajamas. I usually wear fleece socks pulled up over the bottom hem as an extra measure to keep warm.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "in camp">>

      I have washed them in the morning during trips and hung them on a line during the day. They were dry by the time I returned from my day hike that afternoon. They are pill resistant and do not snag. The tag indicates to machine wash and hang to dry which is how I have washed them. They do not wrinkle and when folded, they fit into a gallon size Ziploc bag for packing along with my bottom thermals.

      They have a mild odor after a few evenings of wear but that odor is removed by a quick washing in camp. Even though they are wrinkled after being hung to dry, this does not affect the performance of the tights, and the wrinkles are not noticeable the next morning.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "tag and waistband">>

      I recently wore them on a backpacking trip where we estimated the temperatures were 10 F (-17 C) or colder at night. I wore them over bottom thermals and they were not warm enough. I had to add my rain pants for walking around camp and in my sleeping bag to be as warm as I prefer. This is the only time I have added my rain pants for warmth.

      SUMMARY

      I have really enjoyed wearing my fleece tights as backpacking pajamas. They are the best way I have found to stay warm and comfortable while sleeping, preparing meals in camp, and for an evening enjoying the stars. I have talked about them so much that my friends are starting to wear them. These tights will continue to be a mandatory piece of sleeping gear during all of my future backpacking trips.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17, 2012
        Hi Frances,

        Thank you for submitting an OR for November's call. It sounds like you found a really great product, unfortunately tights are a clothing item and therefore don't exactly fit into any of the three categories we are using for the call this month.

        With the new BP system in place I'd love for you to benefit from you review so do you want to shelve it for now and use it in the future when clothing items are part of the call or just proceed with the edits and use it as a regular OR?

        Let me know.
        Jamie D
        Editors Team Director
      • Frances Penn
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012
          Sorry but I thought the Nov. call included sleeping items.  Since I use the
          tights for sleeping, I thought they would qualify.  It looks like the best
          decision is to shelve the review and await a clothing call.  Thanks.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 20, 2012
            No worries Frances. I should have been more clear on the call. Since I'm the one who decides what we call for each month, I'll make sure clothing is in there soon. :)

            Jamie D

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Frances Penn <fpenn@...> wrote:

            > Sorry but I thought the Nov. call included sleeping items.  Since I use the
            > tights for sleeping, I thought they would qualify.  It looks like the best
            > decision is to shelve the review and await a clothing call.  Thanks.

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
              Hmm,

              (Ray starts digging through the Future OR folder...)