OR - North Face Venture Pants - Andrea Murland

  • ringrat55
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
      Well, I can't let Theresa and Ray do all the writing this week!
      Only one from me though...
      Andrea

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/ac7u6ln

      Text:

      OR - The North Face Women's Venture Pants
      November 1, 2012

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: The North Face
      Manufacturer's URL: www.thenorthface.com
      Model: Women's Venture Pants
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      MSRP: US $80.00

      Sizes Available: XS-XL
      Size Reviewed: XS, Regular inseam
      Colour: Black

      Listed Weight: 270 g (9.5 oz), size not specified
      Measured Weight: 215 g (7.6 oz)

      Description
      The North Face Venture Pants are waterproof, breathable rainpants. They are made from 40 Denier nylon ripstop HyVent DT, which The North Face describes as using a polyurethane coating for waterproofing, moisture permeability, and durability. The seams are sealed. The inside of the pants feels very slightly textured.

      The elastic waist has a drawstring for adjustment. The pants have two zippered hand pockets, and the pants can stuff into one of the pockets for storage. The inseam of the pants is 71 cm (28.0 in) long, and the bottom of each leg has a 24 cm (9.4 in) long zipper behind a storm flap, and at the very bottom an adjustment to tighten up the bottoms with a hook-and-loop closure.

      The North Face logo is embroidered in white on the right thigh (and sealed on the inside), and HyVent DT is embroidered on the right hip.

      Field Conditions
      I purchased the Venture Pants in 2008 in preparation for a 2.5 month backpacking trip and they have been my rain pants since then. I wore them that summer in about 15 days of wet or snowy weather, as well as wearing them most nights to sleep in as an extra layer for warmth. Since 2008, I have worn them on a few rainy-day hikes as well as about 10 Search & Rescue missions or practices either in rain or when walking through wet grass/brush. I even wore them once for rock climbing as a windbreaking layer. I have worn them in temperatures from about -5 C (23 F) to 25 C (77 F).

      I have worn the Venture Pants over hiking pants, hiking shorts, long underwear, and alone. These days long underwear is about all I can get away with...they're not quite as roomy on me as they were in 2008!

      Review
      Comfort & Fit:
      In 2008 the Venture Pants were a comfy fit overtop of hiking pants or shorts – not baggy, but enough space to get them on and hike in them comfortably. These days, it's long underwear only. I have worn the pants alone as well, and the texture on the inside of the fabric keeps them from sticking to me too badly. They can become a bit clammy in humid, warm weather though. The length of the pants is good for me, a bit of a surprise in a regular inseam for my short legs.

      The zippers at the bottom of the legs are sufficient for me to be able to get the pants on without removing my boots. I've never really used the adjustment at the bottom of the pants to snug them up around my boots; I prefer to keep them open and let them fall all the way down onto my laces.

      Water Resistance & Breathability:
      I am happy to say that these pants have never let water in. They have successfully kept me dry every time I've worn them in wet weather. They breathe pretty well, but as I mentioned, if I'm wearing them alone they become a bit clammy in humid, warm weather. As well, because they're black, if I'm wearing them in sunshine they heat up pretty well...but they are rain pants, so sunshine isn't usually an issue!

      I have washed the pants quite a few times, either in regular detergent or in DWR-renewing detergent, and I have thrown them in the dryer briefly as the DWR-renewal instructions advise.

      Durability:
      I am sad to say that I have a rip in my Venture Pants on the backside. It happened in 2009 (I don't actually remember how), and has successfully been held together with duct tape since then. The tear hasn't spread at all since it originally happened. Also on the backside are some marks from when I sat on a stump covered in pitch. The pants are sticky anymore, but there are still some marks. Otherwise, the pants look pretty good...a bit scuffed but not faded at all.

      Summary
      The North Face Venture Pants are waterproof, breathable rain pants that have done a good job of keeping me dry. I reach for them anytime I'm expecting to be out in the rain or in wet bush.

      Thumbs Up:
      Never have leaked
      Breathability
      Not too long for my legs
      Can get them on/off over my boots

      Thumbs Down:
      Tear in the fabric
      Pitch didn't come off completely
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
          Hi Andrea,

          Thank you for your review in answer of the call. I really can't find any edits for you, so you may place it at:

          Reviews > Rain Gear > Jackets and Pants > The North Face Womens Venture Pants

          See you later this month I am sure,

          Ray
        • ringrat55
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012