OR - Marmot PreCip Baseball Cap - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
      Thank you editors ... this is my rain hat ...

      HTML is here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Marmot%20PreCip%20Baseball%20Cap%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      MARMOT PRECIP BASEBALL CAP
      By Theresa Lawrence
      OR
      November 01, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Theresa Lawrence
      EMAIL: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      I have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Marmot
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: http://marmot.com
      MSRP: $30 US
      Listed Weight: 1.83 oz (51.9 g)
      Measured Weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)
      Colours Available: black, cardinal, eclipse, fatigue (reviewed)
      Sizes Available: one size unisex
      Made In: China
      Washing Instructions: hand wash, cold water, dry flat
      Warranty: for manufacturer defects, return to store for repair or replacement

      Product Description

      The Marmot PreCip Baseball Cap is intended for rugged outdoor activities. The hat is constructed out of seven nylon panels to contour the fit. The 100% nylon PreCip technology is designed to be lightweight, waterproof and breathable. It is comprised of a microporous polyurethane material impregnated with silicon dioxide particles. These particles create holes small enough for vapour to exit, but are too small to allow liquid in. The coating has ceramic particles for added durability, waterproof reliability and Dry Touch comfort. There is a DriClime sweatband that is intended for all-day comfort and dryness. The DriClime Moisture Management Technology is a 3-diminsional wicking system designed to draw moisture away from skin. The hat is lined with a 100% polyester mesh liner and has an adjustable fit with the use of a hook-and-loop closure.

      Field Use

      FIELD CONDITIONS: I have owned this hat for 18 months and have worn it on several overnight backpacking trips and dozens of excursions day-hiking, car camping, kayaking and search and rescue practices. This hat has seen temperatures as low as -2 C (F) and as high as 35 C (F) and everything in between. Many days of rain, sleet, snow and sun exposure have met this rugged hat.

      FIT & COMFORT: Most hats are too big for my little egg head, but this One Size Fits All hat seems to meld to my head with no problems. I think this is due to the 7 panel construction design. The sweatband also makes this hat very comfortable. While the hook-and-loop closure is quick and easy to fasten, it gets stuck in my hair and I have had numerous hair-ripping occasions.

      PERFORMANCE: I bought this hat primarily to keep the rain out of my eyes and keep my head dry and it has done this reliably well. This is an essential piece of my rain gear. The hat sometimes gets a little warm when I'm overexerting myself such as when I'm running in very hot weather. But I find even hiking on hot days, it is able to wick the sweat off my forehead and keep my head fairly cool. And on sunny days, it also keeps the sun out of my eyes. So, while I had originally bought this hat as a rain hat, it has also become my sun hat. The other thing I really like about this hat is that it's not ridged, the body of the hat can be folded easily into the visor and packed away into a pocket.

      DURABILITY: This hat has stood up to all kinds of weather and still looks new after 18 months. It has never been washed and doesn't smell. The sweatband still appears new. All the seams are holding up and looks like they will for a long time to come.

      Summary

      The Marmot PreCip Baseball Cap has been a fantastic asset to my rain gear and has made a case for keeping the sun off my head and eyes. It is reliably waterproof and breathable and has proved to be comfortable and durable. I continue to use this hat for hiking, kayaking, camping and search and rescue. In the winter, it keeps my head warm too and snow out of my eyes. And well, I like the way it looks!

      PROS
      - Nice looking hat
      - Waterproof and breathable
      - Comfortable contoured fit
      - Easy adjustability
      - Durable
      - Folds up, easy to pack

      CONS
      - Hook-and-loop fastener gets caught in my hair

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012

        Editors Team Director