OR - Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent - David Willoby

  • dwilloby@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23 3:47 PM
      Good afternoon. I thought I had this submitted yesterday, but I don't see it in the posts anywhere. I apologize if this is a double-submission. This is my first owner review. Any help, comments, or edits are welcome.

      KELTY GRAND MESA 2 TENT
      BY DAVID WILLOBY
      OR
      September 22, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: David Willoby
      EMAIL: dwillobyATrocketmailDOTcom
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Central Ohio, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)

      I started backpacking just over a year ago. The majority of my trips are 3-day, 2-night excursions in the Midwest or Appalachian regions in 3-season weather.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.kelty.com" LINK TEXT = "www.kelty.com">>
      MSRP: $139.95
      Listed Weight: 4 lb 10 oz (2.10 kg)
      Measured Weight: 4 lb 9 oz (2.07 kg)
      Listed Length: 82 in (208 cm) ~ Measured: 80 in (203 cm)
      Listed Width at Head: 58 in (147 cm) ~ Measured: 57 in (145 cm)
      Measured Width at Foot: 43 in (109 cm)
      Listed Floor area: 29 sq ft (2.7 sq m)
      Listed Height: 44 in (112 cm) ~ Measured: 43.5 in (110 cm)
      Number of poles: 2 ea. 9 mm DAC Press-fit Poles
      Number of vestibules: 1
      Vestibule area: 6 sq ft (0.6 sq m)
      Packaged Size: 7 in x 20 in (17.8 cm x 50.8 cm)
      Number of doors: 1
      Seasons: 3
      Wall Material: 68D polyester
      Floor Material: 68D nylon, 1800 mm
      Fly Material: 75D nylon, 1800 mm

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Grand Mesa 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of Kelty">>

      The Kelty website describes the Grand Mesa 2 as "a feature-rich backpacking tent ideal for the budget conscious shopper. Freestanding design, color-coded clip construction and under five pounds, will ensure for many hassle-free nights under the stars." It comes packaged in a stuff sack that is appropriately sized to carry the tent, poles, stakes and footprint. The footprint is sold separately (MSRP $34.95) and adds 7 oz (198 g) to the total weight of the shelter.

      The Grand Mesa 2 is a two-person double-wall tent. It has a single door and vestibule at the head of the tent. This makes it a little tougher to enter and exit without bothering a second person in the tent, but really no more than a single-door side-entrance tent. It does make the vestibule more accessible to both people. Each person also gets a mesh pocket at the head of the tent.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mesh Pocket">>

      All of the seams are factory taped, and the floor is bathtup-style to add additional protection for surface water. The top half of the tent body itself is mesh, to increase air circulation and decrease weight. The tent body is a taupe color at the bottom and light gray in the middle. The fly is the same gray and a light moss-green.

      The tent comes with aluminum hook stakes, which I have continued to use. The guy-out lines included are black, and I replaced them with Kelty's Triptease Light line ($15.95 for 50 ft (15.24 m),) a 3mm reflective nylon cord to improve visibility in low light.

      I have found the tent to be incredibly easy to set up by myself. It has two cross-poles that are placed in grommets at the corners of the tent floor. There are matching grommets in the footprint as well to hold the footprint in place. The straps holding the grommets are color-coded grey and orange. Matching straps on the fly help in setting it up as well. There are clips on the straps that make attaching the fly easy, and hook-and-loop straps inside the fly that hold it firmly to the poles.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Straps and Grommets" IMAGE CAPTION = "Straps, snaps, and grommets">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Pole Hooks">>

      FIELD USE

      I've used this tent for about eight nights this year. Two nights in April in Kentucky's Red River Gorge, we experienced overnight lows just below freezing. Coupled with my Exped Synmat 7 sleeping pad and North Face Aleutian 20 bag, I stayed warm. I didn't experience any condensation, but I was the only one in the tent. This did leave plenty of room for me and all my gear inside.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Tent in camp">>

      I used the tent again in July in the North Carolina Smoky Mountains, this time with my 8 year old son. Although it was warm and humid, we didn't experience much condensation in the tent. The footbox of my sleeping bag was up against the foot of the tent, and it was damp in the morning, but not wet.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "N in Smokies">>

      Two nights I used the tent in the rain, and didn't experience any water entering the tent, either through the fly or the fly vent, or through the floor or seams. One night was particularly wet in Dolly Sods, West Virginia, in which it rained hard the entire night. The ground was soaked, but everything inside the tent remained dry. Through the wind, the tent remained stable, and there were no worries about it's ability to hold up.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Rear view of tent">>

      SUMMARY

      I've really enjoyed this tent, and it will spend a lot of time on the trail with me. To me, it's a great mix of lightweight, durability, and a price point that doesn't break the budget. Add to that the fact that it's easy to set up, and this one is a big hit.

      THINGS I LIKE

      It's light weight without having to worry about tearing the material.
      It stays dry in the rain and the wind.
      It's very easy to set up.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      It's pretty snug to be considered a two-person tent. That said, it makes for a very roomy one-person tent.
      It's not easy to enter or exit the tent with another person in it, especially if you're on the side of the tent opposite the vestibule door.

      SIGNATURE

      David Willoby

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24 2:29 PM