Thank you Ray - Re: OR - Backpackers Pantry Cold Meals

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2 12:00 AM

      Editors Team Director
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 8:30 PM
        Hi Ray,
        I found a few edits, but it was a three-part review with a lot of info in it.
        Usual format - EDIT must change
        edit - my recommended change if you agree
        comment - just that

        I like your report and the very helpful reviews on the meals... Your html looks good too.
        Mike

        "Year manufactured: 2010-12"
        edit – The three items described all are under the "New for 2012!" according to the website – does not seem as if they would have been made in 2010. Is there a date on the actual product that confirms this? If not, I'd drop the 2010 part.

        "Because I take these when I know the temperatures are going to be extremely high the temps have been from about 50 to 118 F (10 to 48 C)."
        EDIT / comment – This sentence begins a new paragraph and it reads odd to me. I would drop "Because" as that leaves me thinking there is an additional thought that isn't there and then split the rest into two separate sentences possibly… comment – I "take" pills, vitamins, etc., but I "eat" meals. I don't know if that helps you, but I think of medication the way this was worded.

        "As part of my move to light weight hiking I ditched the big kitchen kit I used to carry, including its stock of spices."
        edit – If you agree, I would remove the space and combine "light weight" to "lightweight."

        "A half inch (1.2 cm) below the tear notch is a press-to-seal strip inside of the bag."
        edit – I think it reads better if you say "inside the bag" and drop the "of"… again, your call.

        "All of the salads come with a 0.5 oz (15 ml) packet of olive oil…"
        edit – since this is a liquid measure of olive oil, I would use " 0.5 fl oz"

        "Add 1-1/4 cup (300 mL) of cold water to all contents in pouch."
        EDIT – For consistency, I would pick one way to abbreviate milliliters – here it is mL, but later it is ml. Both are acceptable, but it would be clearer for the reader (I think).

        "In the picture below, taken at Sully Creek State Park (no, the wet shoes were not on the menu)."
        EDIT – this is a fragmented sentence. I would reword it and maybe join it with the next sentence as a thought…

        "This too I have many times added freeze dried cheddar cheese to, sometimes even fresh cheese."
        Edit – This reads odd to me. Maybe " I have often added freeze dried cheddar cheese and occasionally even fresh cheese to this meal. "

        "Then I stick a small Ziploc bag with shredded cheese, and once chopped hard-boiled egg, in the holder."
        EDIT – I think you meant "one chopped hard-boiled egg."

        "On trips that I want to be a fast and light as possible, with as small a pack as I can get, these meals along with some bars, nuts and jerky work great."
        EDIT – I want to be "as" fast and light as possible…

        That's it. Upload when you're ready and delete the test file copy please
        Mike
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3 4:25 AM
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for the edits. All have been made with one exception. Did you make a folder for it? I will go look,

          Ray

          > "Year manufactured: 2010-12"
          > edit – The three items described all are under the "New for 2012!" according to the website – does not seem as if they would have been made in 2010. Is there a date on the actual product that confirms this? If not, I'd drop the 2010 part.

          I explain in the review why:

          The first cold meal that Backpacker's Pantry made was the Pasta Salad. One thing differed from what is offered today, and that is just the size. Until earlier this year (2012) it was sold in a 9.6 oz (272 g) size that was very filling. This year they dropped the size as is listed below.