OR Riksak Daypack - Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2012
      http://tinyurl.com/cnfxmyx

      RIKSAK DAYPACK
      BY FRANCES PENN
      OR
      August 15, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Costa Mesa, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Gossamer Gear
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://gossamergear.com/" LINK TEXT = "www.gossamergear.com">>
      MSRP: US $30.00
      Listed Weight: 2.2 oz (62 g)
      Measured Weight: 2 oz (57 g)
      Measurements: 13 x 20 in (33 x 51 cm)
      Volume: 900 ci (15 L)
      Sizes available: One size
      Colors available: Royal Blue and Black
      Lightly padded straps measuring 18 in (46 m) long and 3 in (8 m) wide

      The RikSak is a dual use Ultralight daypack made of 30 denier 1.3 oz per square yard (44 g per square m) silicone coated ripstop nylon called silnylon. The pack compresses down to a sandwich size Ziploc bag for easy packing. According to the website, the pack can be used as a stuff sack, a pillow, a water carrier, a daypack, and a backcountry shower. It is also handy to carry in a pocket or purse on a multi-stop shopping trip around town. The pack is an ultralightweight bag with no padding except in the shoulder straps which are adjustable with snaps on the ends that fit together around the body. Once the shoulder straps are adjusted, the remaining portion of the straps can be snapped together or they can just hang loose. Mine fit around my ribcage, so they are neither sternum straps nor waist straps. The shoulder straps are amazingly comfortable considering the total weight of the pack. The pack is comfortable to wear whether the straps are snapped together or not. I have had no problem keeping the shoulder straps on my shoulders when the ends of the straps were not snapped together. The pack is comfortable to wear in either configuration.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "from website">>

      FIELD USE

      I have used this daypack for the past year which I estimate to be about 20 days of use as a daypack on every backpacking trip. My dayhikes are usually on dirt trails with rocky portions that become off trail bushwacking adventures to reach the peak or other destination. My backpack trips are usually at elevations of 8,000 to 11,000 ft (2400 to 3300 m) and the dayhikes are either to peaks or to explore other nearby destinations.

      The pack holds everything I need for a full day hike from camp to the destination with the return to camp later that same day. There is no extra room once I fill it for the day but as I consume my water and food, a little extra room is available. Since the pack has no internal pockets, I place my sitting pad against the inside back area of the pack for a little support against my back and then place my water bladder against that pad. I then pack the rest of the contents around the bladder where they fit best. This packing method maximizes the available space inside the pack. The bladder tends to slump as the water is consumed but it has not been a problem. I have found the pack comfortable to carry whether full or half full of gear.

      I was tired of carrying my full backpack cinched down as a daypack or carrying an extra daypack in my already full backpack for use as a daypack. I found this little gem and have been happy and comfortable on day hikes during backpack trips ever since. I wouldn't use it as a daypack without being on a backpack trip because I carry more gear on that kind of trip. For me, the whole point of using this day pack is so that I can have a day pack to use on backpack trips with a weight and size that I don't notice in my fully loaded backpack.

      I have carried this daypack on and off trail and have stuffed my hiking poles inside with the points sticking out of the top for short rock scrambling portions to off-trail peaks. The pack is tall enough to hold the poles in the straight up position until they are needed again.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "compressed in a sandwich bag">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "strap width">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "fully loaded">>

      I have used the pack to carry my empty water containers and water filter to the stream to fill up with water for the next day. The pack works well when the water containers are empty and is just as comfortable to carry back to camp once the water containers are full. I haven't figured out how to use it as a solar shower because the top closes with a drawstring. I am not sure how to keep the water from coming out the top of the pack once turned upside down when full of water.

      SUMMARY

      This is the best little day pack considering its minimal weight. It is the perfect size for a day hike during a backpack trip. I also appreciate the small size when compressed and packed in my backpack. The pack is comfortable to wear when fully packed, versatile, and ultra light weight.

      THINGS I LIKE

      The 2 oz weight and small compressed size
      The fully loaded pack holds everything I need for a day hike
      The fun blue color
      The material is durable
      The pack is comfortable against my back
      The shoulder straps are comfortable when fully loaded

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Sometimes I would prefer the pack to be a little larger, but overall it has worked well

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2012

        Editors Team Director