OR - pStyle - Katie Montovan

  • sull0294
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
      Hello editors,

      I have been waiting for an OR call that applies to this OR to help motivate me to finish this one. Here is the link to the html which has been uploaded to the test folder: http://tinyurl.com/c2tzgsw

      Best,
      Katie

      pStyle
      Owner Review by Kathryn Montovan
      August 14, 2012

      Tester Information
      Name: Kathryn Montovan
      E-Mail: sull0294(at)gmail(dot)com
      Age: 29
      Location: Groton, New York USA
      Gender: F
      Height: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)

      Biography:
      I have been backpacking, climbing, kayaking, canoeing and winter
      camping for over 10 years. My excursions are mostly weekend and
      occasionally weeklong backpacking and kayaking trips in the wooded
      and often wet, rolling terrain of western New York. I usually tarp
      camp with a small to large group and love to cook fun and delicious
      foods on my trips. In general, I strive for a compact and light pack
      but value well-made and durable gear over ultralight items.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: pStyle
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: www.thepstyle.com <http://www.thepstyle.com>
      MSRP US$ 12.00
      Advertised Weight: None
      Measured Weight: 0.6 oz (17 g)
      Dimensions: 7.25" x 2.9" (18 x 5 cm)
      Available Colors: blue, clear, green, purple, orange and pink

      Product Description:

      The pStyle is a stand to pee (stp) device for women that does not
      require undressing. It a uniquely shaped funnel made out of hard plastic
      that directs the urine away from the body. It is one piece of smooth,
      hard plastic which means that it does not fold and retains its shape
      around clothing layers. It does not come with a carrying case, but the
      company does offer an optional fabric case for $12.00 US.

      The instructions that come with the pStyle are: "Place the pStyle so the
      widest part is between your legs, centered under your urethra, and
      pressed firmly upward. Tilt the open end slightly down, relax, and pee.
      Bend your knees a little and pull the pStyle slowly forward with firm
      upward pressure to remove the remaining drops. Shake, wash with soap and
      hot water, and store in a secure place."

      Owner Review:

      I have had the pStyle for approximately 6 months and have used it on 6
      weekend trips, a 5-day canoe trip and many day outings. These trips have
      involved backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and hiking. Temperatures have
      ranged from 45 ? 100 F (7 ? 38 C) and I have encountered both sunny and
      rainy conditions. I spent most of the time in the field at sites and on
      trails without bathroom facilities. My clothing has included lightweight
      hiking clothes, multiple layers for cold and rainy conditions, tight
      jeans, a climbing harness, and a wetsuit and paddling gear.

      Initial trial runs:

      The instructions recommend practicing technique in the shower first, and
      that loose pants make the pStyle easier to use. Maybe I am gutsy, but I
      decided that the pStyle looked straightforward enough to skip the shower
      step and go straight to a first try with my pants well out of the way. I
      carefully placed the pStyle and it worked flawlessly. Next, I tried
      using while wearing loose shorts. Again, I was amazed at how easy it was
      to use. The firm upward pressure while removing the pStyle also did a
      surprisingly good job in place of toilet paper.
      IMAGE 2
      *The pStyle in my hand for size comparison.

      Since the first two tries went so perfectly I jumped straight to the
      ultimate at-home test: using the pStyle discretely with tight jeans. I
      simply opened the zipper and slipped the pStyle through the opening. It
      worked flawlessly.

      Field Use:

      The pStyle performed just as well in the field as in my house. I kept it
      wrapped in a bandana in the outside pocket of my pack. The first time I
      used it in the field I was amazed to see how far from my feet the stream
      hit. What a relief after years of squatting and trying to find the right
      position and location so that my feet don't get splashed or end up in a
      puddle. After I used it, I shook any remaining droplets off the pStyle,
      dried and wrapped it with the bandana and put it back in my pack. I am
      not prone to infections and have had no problems with this level of
      cleaning.

      While teaching a backcountry cooking class, I enjoyed the luxury of
      walking a short distance from the group and ducking behind a tree to pee
      discretely while remaining within earshot of my students. In the night I
      even felt confident enough to use it with my headlamp off and everything
      went well. On this trip the other female instructors had pee-rags that
      they kept on the outside of their packs. This was a new concept to me,
      but has been working well for me in combination with the pStyle. I use
      the bandana to dry off the pStyle and then place the bandana on the
      outside of my pack to dry in the sun.

      Multiple layers: I did find that it was difficult to use through
      multiple layers that don't have flies. On one overnight I was wearing
      two layers of long underwear and a pair of elastic waistband rain pants.
      I had some difficulty negotiating around all of the layers with so many
      elastic waistbands. If the future when I buy gear, I may start watching
      for long underwear and rain pants with built in flies to make this
      easier, but the pStyle worked despite the challenge and the
      inconvenience was minimal.

      Backpacking: On two packpacking trips I have had the pleasure of
      realizing I needed to pee, and instead of watching for a good place,
      removing my pack, hiking into the woods, peeing and returning (often at
      least a 5 minute endevor), I was able to reach back into the outside
      pocket of me pack, pull out the pstyle, step a little ways off the
      trail, pee, dry off the pStyle, stick it back in my pack and get back on
      the trail in less than a minute.

      Kayaking: For kayaking, this was a great tool for addressing the problem
      of highly layered kayaking gear. This gear forms a complex layering that
      is a frustrating obstacle as I dance my way into the woods or to the
      latrine. First there is my hat, then my life-jacket, then my tow-belt,
      then my paddling gloves, then my splash-top, then my spray skirt, then
      my wetsuit, then whatever layers I might have under the wetsuit. The
      pStyle does not allow me to skip all of the layers, but it does make
      removing the final few unnecessary. Some wetsuits, and most drysuits
      have a relief zipper that, in combination with the pStyle, would put an
      end to the whole dance. I am thinking about adding one to my wetsuit
      for this purpose. Also, while kayaking I am often on islands with less
      cover than I would like. On my last kayaking trip we had lunch on an
      island without bathroom facilities and with very little tree or bush
      cover. It was impossible to find a place out of sight from the water or
      the other people on the island, but with the pStyle I was able to duck
      behind a tree and no one even knew what I was doing.

      Climbing harnesses: The other main area that I could see the pStyle
      being invaluable is for climbing. There are times while climbing when it
      is not safe to remove a harness to pee. If this device is able to work
      through a climbing harness and climbing clothes it could make my
      climbing adventures more enjoyable and safe. I have not gone on a
      climbing trip since I bought the pStyle, but decided to test it out with
      my gear and see how it would work around my climbing clothes and
      harness. I wore climbing pants with a zipper and put on my harnes as I
      would if I were climbing. It took me a minute to figure out how to undo
      the zipper around the harness, and to decide which loop to stick the
      pStyle through, but once I sorted it out, it worked just fine. I do not
      think I could use it if I was hanging on the rope, but could definitely
      use it while roped in on a ledge without ever having to put myself in
      danger by removing my harness. I think that it would also work with
      elastic wasteband climbing pants but would want to test it before I went
      climbing in them.

      Tight jeans tip: I found that it was helpful to press down firmly on the
      pStyle just outside the opening of my jeans and to bend my knees to help
      the pStyle point downward. This was a useful technique in general but
      especially important when I was wearing tight jeans.

      Performance: It has worked flawlessly for me. I have not gotten wet once
      with this stand to pee device and it is by far the easiest that I have
      tried to get positioned and to use. The hard plastic makes it possible
      to use it discreetly without removing any of my normal layers, even when
      wearing tight fitting clothing. Elastic waistbands present a small
      challenge, but even with multiple waistbands I was able to use it
      without mishap and without removing any of the layers. I also appreciate
      that the pStyle is long enough that the stream lands far from my feet.

      Durability: The pStyle is made out of a solid plastic that holds its
      shape well. I have stuffed it into pockets and packs without it bending
      or breaking. So far I have had no problems with the pStyle retaining
      odors and find it to be really easy to clean between uses and after
      trips. After trips I often toss it in the washing machine with all of my
      trip clothes and it comes out clean and ready for the next trip. It gets
      so clean that I am not uncomfortable handling it or having other people
      stumble upon it while in my bathroom.

      What I like:
      1) Does not require any undressing
      2) Easy to clean and sanitize
      3) Works for me every time

      What I didn't like:
      1) Too long to carry in a pants pocket but fits well in my raincoat
      pocket and outside pack pocket
      2) The hard plastic is not as comfortable as the silicone stand to pee
      devices, but well worth the 0% failure rate that I have experienced with it.

      I love the pStyle. It has elliminated uncomfortable hikes in areas where
      there was not enough cover to squat by allowing me to walk a little ways
      off the trail, turn my back, and pee against a tree without exposing
      myself. I am particularly fond of the simplicity of the device and the
      fact that I can count on it to work for me without fail. It even works
      with my kayaking gear and climbing harness. The pStyle is not compact
      enough for me to carry it in my purse all the time, but it is now a
      standard item in my daypack, backpack, kayak, and bike pannier. I have
      also started giving the pStyle as a surprise gift to female camping
      companions (including my mother) and wish that it had been around 10
      years ago when I started camping and hiking.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2012
          Hi Katie,

          Thanks for the OR in answer of the call. Here are your edits after which you may place the review at:

          Reviews > Personal Hygiene > Bathroom Sundries > pStyle

          Ray

          Comment: you may want to look at your Product Information header. It is showing in two font sizes on my pc.

          *** It a uniquely shaped funnel made out of hard plastic

          EDIT: It "is" a

          *** These trips have involved backpacking, canoing, kayaking, and hiking.

          EDIT: canoeing

          *** Next, I tried using while wearing loose shorts.

          EDIT: tried using "it" while

          *** This gear forms a complex layering that is a frustrating obstacle

          EDIT: forms a complex layering "system" that is a frustrating obstacle
        • sull0294
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2012
            Hi Ray,

            Thanks for your careful Edits!

            I have deleted the test file and uploaded the corrected report. It took me two tries to figure out the different text size in the Product Information header- so I am sorry for the doubled upload notifications that you may have gotten.

            Thanks!
            Katie