Edit/Approval - Owner Review Dirty Girl Gaiters - Frances Penn

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2012
      Frances,

      Much better – an excellent Review, and just in time for a brownie point! A few edits, mostly suggestions, below. One of these deserves special attention. You note that DG's website states that the gaiters are intended for trail runners, not hiking boots, yet in describing how to attach the gaiters you consistently refer to "boots." Please consider moving the manufacturer's statement to your introductory paragraph (I'd make it the second sentence) and changing "boots" to "shoes" or "trail runners" throughout your report. As a careful reader can figure it out after reading the entire Review, this is an Edit not n EDIT, but I think it would greatly improve your Review. Also consider describing the shoes you've worn with the gaiters, either by brand or by category.

      Upload to http://tinyurl.com/9slh63t after revising, and don't forget to delete your Tests/OR folder copy.

      Cheers, Richard

      <<Warranty from website: "If you are not satisfied with your order, please contact me at dirtygirlgaiters AT yahooDOT com and I will make it right.">>
      Comment: This is one instance in which a quotation is preferable to a summary.

      <<It hooks under the front shoe lace and secures to the back of the shoe>>
      Edit: shoelace [one word. Here, one other place, and also "bootlace."]

      <<The top is much smaller so it hugs my leg above my boot and stays in place.>>
      Edit: Smaller than what? At first I thought you meant than the top of a standard gaiter. Either "much smaller than the piece that fits atop my shoe" or "The gaiters are much smaller at the top" would improve readability.

      <<Next, place the hook under the shoe laces closest to the toes, then adjust the gaiter over the top of the boots. The website indicates they should not be worn with hiking boots.>>
      Edit: See commentary above. Here's one place where I'd change "boots" to "shoes."
      Comment: This was news to me. I've used my Dirty Girls with mid-hiking boots many times.

      <<I tried wearing snow gaiters, but they didn't breath well >>
      EDIT: breathe well [An example of where a spell checker rarely helps.]

      <<Just for fun, I am thinking pink leopard might be a nice change of pattern. >>
      Edit: I couldn't find pink leopard on the website. Pink panther?
      Comment: Whatever it's called, go for it. It's you!

      <<They take a few extra moments to connect and disconnect to my boots, but the extra time is well worth it.>>
      EDIT: but I think the extra time is worth it [I agree with you but someone else might not. As written this is projection.]
    • Frances Penn
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2012
        Richard:  Thanks for your edits.  I made the suggested edits and uploaded to the
        test/owner review folder.  Since your e-mail indicated I should upload to the
        tiny url I sent you containing the review, I wasn't clear on where you wanted me
        to post the review.  Also, I didn't see a folder for this review.  I didn't post
        to the group because of my uncertainty.   Please advise how you would like me to
        proceed and I will get it done promptly.

        Also, FYI, the DG website indicates the gaiters are not to be worn with hiking
        boots under the Customer Service portion of the website.

        http://tinyurl.com/br4v4e6

        DIRTY GIRL GAITERS
        BY FRANCES PENN
        OR
        August 08, 2012

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Frances Penn
        EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
        AGE: 55
        LOCATION: Costa Mesa, California, USA
        GENDER: F
        HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
        WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

        I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern
        California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras.  My total
        daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually
        28-30 lb (13-14 kg).  I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain,
        heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer:   Dirty Girl Gaiters
        Year of Manufacture:  2010
        Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://dirtygirlgaiters.com/"
        LINK TEXT = "www.dirtygirlgaiters.com">>
        MSRP: US $20.00
        Listed Weight: None
        Measured Weight: 0.9 oz/pair (25 g total)
        Height above high-top boot:  2 in (5 cm)
        Size Reviewed:  Medium (for my size 9.5 US high top hiking boots)
        Sizes Available:  Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large and an even
        larger size called Dang
        Color Reviewed:  Hottie (Flames)
        Colors Available:  62 different patterns and four plain colors
        Warranty from website:  "If you are not satisfied with your order, please
        contact me at dirtygirlgaiters AT yahoo DOT com and I will make it right."
        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Gaiter on boot">>
        Dirty Girl Gaiters are lightweight breathable running gaiters in fun colors and
        patterns.  The website indicates they should not be worn with hiking boots.  I
        wear my gaiters with Asolo FSN 85 high top hiking boots as shown in the picture
        above.
        The gaiter is made of soft four-way stretch Spandex material.  It hooks under
        the front shoelace and secures to the back of the shoe with a self-adhesive
        hook-and-loop strip. Each order includes enough self-adhesive hook-and-loop
        (hook side only) for four applications.  A 1.5 inch (3.8 cm) strip of the other
        side of the hook-and-loop closure is sewn to the inside rear bottom of the
        gaiter.  There is no elastic band needed on the top or bottom of the gaiter due
        to the stretchy material.  The gaiters are much smaller at the top so they hug
        my leg above my boot and stay in place.  The top and bottom edges of the
        material are turned under and stitched.  The inside of the gaiter is a plain
        buff color.
        To install, attach 1.5 inch (3.8 cm) of the self-adhesive hook-and-loop closure
        strip to the back heel area of new or clean and dry shoes.  Shoes with grooved
        or uneven heel surfaces may need glue to attach the strip.  Let sit for 12 to 24
        hours for maximum adhesion according to the website.
        Pull the gaiter over socks, put on the shoes and then attach the rear
        hook-and-loop on the gaiter to the strip on the back of the shoes.  Next, place
        the hook under the shoelaces closest to the toes, then adjust the gaiter over
        the top of the shoes.
        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "showing front hook &
        rear strip">>

        FIELD USE

        I have worn these gaiters on every backpacking and day hiking trip for the last
        two years which I estimate to be 50 or more days.  I usually backpack starting
        in March and ending in October.  I usually day hike year round on and off
        backpacking trips. These gaiters have seen field use in dusty, sandy desert
        terrain on and off trail at Joshua Tree, on and off trail on steep dirt and rock
        on peak bagging trips in the San Gorgonio, San Jacinto, and Big Pine areas, and
        on at least three or more days of light rain and subsequent muddy trail
        conditions on various trips.
        I have not worn them in snow.  Since these are lightweight running gaiters, I
        would not wear these in snow.  The one time I backpacked in snow, I wore a knee
        high waterproof type gaiter.
        The gaiters show wear in the front where they rub on the riveted boot lace loops
        and they have developed small holes near the back.  I will continue to use them
        until they fail so I have an idea of how long they will last.
        When hiking in the sandy desert terrain of Joshua Tree, California in the winter
        months, I noticed my boots were usually full of sand and rocks by halfway
        through the day.  I tried wearing snow gaiters, but they didn't breathe well and
        were too much gaiter for those conditions.  Then I found these gaiters and on
        the first use, I was happy to note they kept dirt and rocks out of my boots all
        day and were lightweight and breathable.  They worked so well on that first trip
        that I continued using them for all of my trips.
        I forget I am wearing the gaiters until someone comments on them.  They bring a
        smile to my face and are a fun and very useful addition to my hiking gear.   I
        hike with different groups and I have had people recognize me on the trail by my
        gaiters.
        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "showing wear">>
        Washing instructions from website:
        Place the gaiters in a lingerie bag to keep the hooks from getting caught  in
        the washer and dryer.
        I haven't washed mine and don't plan to.  The dirt shakes out during the removal
        process.

        SUMMARY

        I have enjoyed wearing these gaiters. The color has not faded but the gaiters
        show wear around most of the bottom half where they rub on my boots.  This wear
        has not affected the performance of the gaiters.   I plan to buy another pair as
        soon as these wear out.  Just for fun, I am thinking fetish (pink leopard) might
        be a nice change of pattern.  I wonder what comments I will receive on that
        choice.  I like to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.

        THINGS I LIKE

        Lightweight
        Breathable
        Fun color and pattern

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        They take a few extra moments to connect  and disconnect to my boots, but the
        extra time is worth it.
        Once in a while I forget to slide them over my socks before putting on my boots,
        but I am getting better at remembering.
        Not as durable as gaiters designed to be used with hiking boots.

        Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2012
          Frances, the tinyurl in my email is different from the one in yours. At any rate you found the proper folder, as I see that you did upload. Cheers, Richard

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2012
            Sorry for the e-mail.  I figured it out right after I sent the email.  Thanks
            for your help on this review.