OR - Kakadu Soaka Hat - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2012
      Dear Editors,

      It's been so blasted hot here that I've actually been avoiding physical
      activity in the great outdoors, however, I have been wearing this hat any
      time I need to walk more than a short distance in the blazing sun. Which
      reminded me to finish this OR.

      Great hat! Text is below and HTML is at: http://tinyurl.com/72l2kdt

      Ready for your edits and comments.

      Stay cool!
      Kathy
      KAKADU SOAKA HAT
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS
      July 1, 2012
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy at backpackgeartest dot com
      AGE: 61
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Kakadu Traders Australia
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.kakaduaustralia.com
      MSRP: US $34.99
      Listed Weight: Less than 5 oz (150 g)
      Measured Weight: 3.5 oz (99 g)
      Colors Available: Black, Brown, Cherry, Grey, Khaki, Lilac, Mushroom, Olive,
      Pale Blue, Pink, Red, Rust & Sand
      Color Reviews: Red
      Sizes Available: Small to XXL (21.5 to 24.6 in/55 to 63 cm)
      Size Reviewed: Medium (22.3 in/57 cm)

      Other details:

      Fabric Type: Soaka micro-suede (100% polyester)
      Developed in Australia.
      Made in China
      Photo Courtesy of Kakadu

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Kakadu Soaka hat is an Australian cowboy style hat with a flat top and
      brim. The brim is just shy of 3 inches (7.6 cm) wide and the crown is 3.5
      inches (9 cm) high. The front of the crown comes to a well-defined point.
      The Soaka is made from 100% polyester in a soft brushed micro-suede which is
      smooth to the touch.

      There is a three-strand thin braided hatband which loops through itself and
      ends in a 3 inch (7.6 cm) "tail" at the back of the hat.

      A soft woven (feels like cotton to me) chin strap is looped around the front
      of the hat's crown, is fed through two eyelets on the alternate sides of the
      crown and then is tied together at the ends. There are clear aglets to
      prevent unraveling. The two sides of the chin strap are threaded through a
      small wooden bead that slides up and down the two straps. Sliding the bead
      upwards tightens the straps so as to secure the Soaka against the wind.

      There are 3 eyelets in a triangular shape on each side of the crown for
      ventilation.

      While there isn't a full, all-around the hat sweatband, there is an extra
      layer of micro-suede in the interior front of the crown where the hat rests
      against the forehead.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      Yellowstone National Park
      I have to confess. When I first spotted the red Kakadu Soaka hat on display
      I just had to try it on. I certainly wasn't thinking about backpacking at
      all - just how attractive it looked. Hats are my guilty pleasure and with
      this bright red beauty, that guilty pleasure certainly isn't a secret one!

      After I stopped ooo-ing and aaah-ing, I found out that "Soaka" wasn't some
      odd Aussie style name but that "Soaka" had a built-in feature making it a
      perfect backpacking hat. I can "soak" this hat in water and then wear it to
      cool off when I'm on the trail baking under the sun. Neat! This I had to
      try, so I took the Soaka home.

      Before I actually tried the cooling action of the Soaka I had worn it on
      numerous occasions "dry". In addition to lots of casual wear, the hat
      accompanied me on several backpacks, including day hikes in Yellowstone
      National Park, an overnight in Grand Teton National Park and two days in
      Dinosaur National Monument in October 2011. It also kept me warm while
      snowshoeing in Rocky Mountain National Park In December and Utah's Solitude
      State Park in January. During my October backpacks, the weather was damp,
      drizzling much of the time and I was very pleased with how the Soaka kept me
      from getting chilled. Even in a light drizzle, the hat didn't wet out.

      Hmmm. If a drizzle didn't wet the hat how would the Soaka work in the heat?
      I decided to experiment by soaking the hat at home where a possible failure
      would not pose any problem. When I put the top of the Soaka under the
      kitchen faucet water initially rolled right off but within a half minute or
      so, the color started to darken and I could tell the fabric was getting,
      well, soaked. I continued to let water run over the Soaka until the color
      was uniform. Now I had a dripping hat in my hands! At this point I
      remembered I was told to just "flick" the hat to remove the excess liquid. I
      did that and a spray of water was released from the hat. The Soaka was now
      ready for use so I jammed it on my head and was pleased to immediately feel
      cooler. Neat!

      The very next opportunity to wear the Soaka on a backpack came up in early
      March when Colorado started to have some warm spells - which certainly
      haven't abated yet. My husband and I packed up for an overnight just north
      of where we live in the Cooper Mountain range near Canon City and wearing my
      Soaka hat, we headed for the hills. Shortly into our uphill climb as is
      usually the case, I started to get hot. Unlike most people, I can't just
      abandon wearing a hat when I heat up. I have eye challenges that require me
      to keep my eyes shaded. A brimmed hat is mandatory almost always. So as the
      sweat started to bead up on my forehead, I took off the hat and poured half
      of a 1 L bottle of water into the upturned hat, making sure to run the
      stream of water down the sides of the crown. Voila! Cool relief!

      Using a bottle of water isn't the most ideal way to soak the hat, a stream
      or lake works much better when in the backcountry, but sometimes (most of
      the time) there isn't that option, so I've gotten quite adept at pouring the
      water into the hat in the most efficient manner so as not to waste my water.
      And if it is hot when I start my trekking, I'll soak the hat before I even
      set out.

      In the high desert, evaporation causes the Soaka to dry out in a matter of
      90 minutes to 2 hours or so depending on the temperature. When the
      temperatures top 90 F (32 C) - like today - the hat is dry within an hour.

      The Soaka fits nice and snug around my 22 inch (56 cm) forehead, so if I
      keep my head down a bit I can keep it on my head in all but the windiest
      conditions. When the cruel winds blow though, the chin straps have been a
      real boon. Most of the times, I flip the cord up and over the brim where it
      rests nicely out of my way, but when it really starts a 'blowing, I quickly
      pull them down and cinch up the adjuster. Then I can go about my hiking
      holding onto my trekking poles and not my hat. The Soaka's chin straps
      remind me of my childhood cowboy hats.

      All this wetting and drying hasn't affected the look, shape or fit of the
      Soaka hat. The brim is still straight and properly stiff and the crown
      hasn't gotten lumpy, stretched or shrunken. It hasn't developed any musty
      odor either. And while I have had my 11-year-old, 55 lb (25 kg)
      granddaughter accidently sit on it, I haven't ever crushed it up and stuffed
      it in the corner of a backpack. Oh, and thankfully, the Soaka color hasn't
      faded or worse yet, run!

      When I am not wearing it on the trail, I let it rest on my back with the
      chin straps around my neck, but mostly I've got it on and I plan to continue
      to do so for a long time.

      STARRING ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Keeps me warmer in winter, cooler in the heat.
      2.) Chin strap can withstand windy conditions.
      3.) Good-looking!

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) When worn wet, I get a serious case of "hat head"!

      SUMMARY

      I love hats! I particularly love the look of cowboy-style brimmed hats. The
      Kakadu Soaka hat sports that western look I adore - with an Australian
      flavor - and it has function above and beyond that of all my other headwear.
      Not only does the Soaka keep my noggin warm when it's cold outside, but it
      cools me down when Old Sol is a' blazing hot! One quick dunk in a stream or
      lake and the Soaka is ready to go no matter what the mercury reads (and so
      am I)! This versatility makes the Soaka a valuable backpacking hat for me.

      The Soaka is not my only Kakadu hat; I have another style as well. But it
      certainly is my favorite! I just might have to get me another one. I'm kinda
      hankerin' for a lilac hat. Or maybe pink. But I like the pale blue as well.
      Maybe...

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
          Hi Kathy,

          Last one, sorry I made you wait, but here are your edits. You can place the corrected review at:

          Reviews > Clothing > Hats > Kakadu Traders Soaka hat

          Ray

          ***The Kakadu Soaka hat is an Australian cowboy style hat with a flat top and brim.

          EDIT: cowboy-style

          *** In addition to lots of casual wear, the hat accompanied me on several backpacks,

          EDIT: backpacking trips (unless you mean the hat was on the packs;-)

          ***The very next opportunity to wear the Soaka on a backpack came up in early March

          EDIT: same thing
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
            Ray,

            Thanks for editing the last OR on the list that isn't one of yours. No worry about the waiting, I wouldn't have gotten to it until this morning anyway due to a work-related crisis. Looks like my 4th of July plans have been doomed so I'll be cleaning up little things today. On that note, I've made the corrections, deleted the test file and uploaded the review.

            Funny about the "backpack" versus "backpacking trips" (since you dinged that several times over the last 4 ORs) - I'm guessing that's a regional thing as I often use "backpack" in that manner - "I'm going on a backpack." Once you pointed it out, it does sound off, so I'll have to watch that.

            Thanks and happy 4th of July,