OR - Kakadu Kelly CC Vest - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
      Dear Editors,

      It's too hot to hike, so I guess I should at least finish up some
      long-overdue ORs.

      Here's another one for the list.

      Text below and HTML in the test folder at: http://tinyurl.com/7lmutuj

      As always, I look forward to your edits and comments.

      Kathy
      KAKADU KELLY CC VEST
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS
      JUNE 28, 2012
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy at backpackgeartest dot com
      AGE: 61
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Kakadu Traders Australia
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Model/Style: 8MV03
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.kakaduaustralia.com

      MSRP: US $129.99
      Listed Weight: NA
      Measured Weight: 33.5 oz (950 g)
      Measured Torso Length: 19 in (48 cm) - measured from collar bottom to waist

      Sizes Available: XS to 4XL
      Size Reviewed: XS
      Reviewer's Chest Size: 37 in (94 cm)
      Reviewer's Torso Length: 24.5 in (62 cm)

      Colors Available: Taupe, Loden Green, Mustard, Black, Tobacco & Blue
      Color Reviewed Tobacco

      Other details: The "CC" in the style name stands for "concealed carry". This
      vest features an interior pocket for a firearm.
      Photo Courtesy of Kakadu

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Kelly CC Vest is a classic, western-style vest. The "CC" in the product
      style name translates to "concealed carry" and describes the most prominent
      feature of this vest - Kakadu's Concealed Carry Internal System (CCIS). Two
      internal pockets, one on the left and one on the right for both left and
      right front concealed carry facilities are lined with black cotton and come
      with "anti-imprint pads". These pads are removable via an interior zipper in
      the lining and are held in place by two hook-and-loop strips for added
      flexibility and/or for cleaning (washing).

      The Gunn-Worn canvas has the appearance of denim and the vest body is
      topped with a washable cowhide leather collar. Kakadu's Gunn-Worn canvas is
      a tough canvas fabric scrubbed down to give it a "rugged vintage finish".
      Depending on the purpose, different canvas weights are used : 5 oz (142 g)
      for lighter wear, 10 oz (283 g) for tougher wear - the Kelly CC Vest is 10
      oz (283 g).

      Construction of the vest is trim, yet non-constricting with double front
      yokes, a paneled back with a nifty hanger loop and adjustable side tabs at
      the waist.

      There is a hefty front, top-to-bottom, brass zipper. Chest flaps cover two
      welted chest-high external pockets accented with stamped Kakadu logo metal
      buttons and corner rivets. Additionally, two side entry hand-warmer pockets
      with roomy 6 in (15 cm) openings complete the Kelly's storage options.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      My husband, John, owns two of these vests and when I got the chance to get
      one of my own, I grabbed it with gusto! Almost all of our backpacking takes
      place in the Rocky Mountains where mountain lions, bobcats, bears and other
      (sometimes) scary wildlife abound. My personal phobic critter is the
      rattlesnake. For this reason, John has always carried a firearm and when he
      discovered the Kakadu Kelly CC vest, he had to have one. Since I often am
      out in the backcountry by myself, this past year I decided to also get my
      concealed carry (cc) permit and so I too, needed an easily accessible way to
      pack a weapon. Since I really liked the style of John's vest, I ordered my
      own. There isn't a women's version, so after talking with Kakadu, I
      determined an "XS" would probably work. It fits perfectly! I do have the
      side tabs pulled as tightly as possible though to gain just the slightest
      bit of feminine shaping.

      I am partial to vests on the trail because it gives me core warmth, yet
      affords me the freedom of arm movement I prefer when backpacking. In even
      temperatures 5 to 10 below freezing, I can stay toasty with the Kelly
      layered over the top of my favorite wool base layer and a light synthetic
      fleece mid-layer. While I love my down vest, I find the Kelly canvas is
      actually better at keeping stiff winds at bay. Besides, my down vest doesn't
      have pockets and that is a negative for me. I have found though the Kelly is
      too warm for me for any activity when the temperature is over 70 F (21 C)
      and for strenuous (steep uphill climbs) activity when above 45 F (7C). I
      make it a point to leave the vest behind then as it is very heavy and too
      bulky for stuffing into my backpack.

      For the same reason - weight - I don't wear the Kelly when rain is in the
      forecast. Even the thought of putting on a rain shell over the vest makes me
      sweat and the canvas is not waterproof though it will keep a drizzle at bay.
      I am thinking about applying a waterproofing wax to it.

      Obviously, the main reason I wear the Kelly vest backpacking is for the CC
      feature. I am right-handed, so I use the left pocket of the vest for my
      firearm. The pocket encompasses almost the entire front of the vest and has
      a stretchy "holder" for my weapon as well as separate additional
      compartments for two clips. The construction of the pocket is such that even
      when it is loaded (no pun intended), to a casual observer there isn't any
      detectable bulge or any hint of its contents. A removable pad attached
      within the lining of the Kelly provides extra coverage to conceal the fact
      that I'm carrying. The right side pocket is a mirror of the left.

      Accessibility is key as if and when I ever need to draw a firearm to defend
      myself, I most likely won't have time - or the necessary nerves of steel -
      to fumble around a backpack. With the very large interior opening, I can
      quickly unzip (if necessary), slip my hand into the vest pocket and withdraw
      smoothly without catching on any stray straps, belts or whatever. And though
      it is easy for me to access my firearm, the hook-and-loop closure securely
      holds it in place.

      Depending on which backpack I use, I do have to unclip the chest strap to
      reach into the interior pocket and though it readily fits, I can't carry my
      larger firearm (.38) with any backpack due to the waist belts. I'm simply
      too short in the torso to do so. Not really a problem since my biggest fear
      on the trail is rattlesnakes and my smaller firearm (.380) fits nicely.

      .38 in Holster

      .380 in Holster

      The roomy exterior hand warmer pockets are a good size; big enough for me to
      carry my small digital camera in one and my cell phone and an energy bar or
      a couple of gels in the other and still jam my hands in them if I choose to
      do so. I've never used the upper chest pockets for anything though,
      actually, I've never even unbuttoned them.

      I've worn the Kelly on at least a dozen backpacks and incalculable casual,
      about-town occasions over the past year and am happy to say, it hasn't shown
      any sign of stress. Despite numerous brushes against prickly vegetation and
      close encounters with sticky pine sap, the vest still looks very spiffy. For
      the sake of this review, I did wash it just recently in cold water with
      other dark wash on a normal wash cycle with a mild powdered laundry
      detergent. I used a wooden coat hanger to let it air dry outside over night.
      The next morning, I put a leather conditioning wax on the collar just for
      some extra protection. The vest looks fantastic and is now ready to hit the
      trails again (as soon as the weather cools a bit).

      STARRING ATTRACTIONS

      1.) A great alternative to a mid-weight jacket - vest styling leaves my arms
      room to move freely.
      2.) Trim fit, but still roomy enough to layer over base layers and/or a
      light fleece.
      3.) Wears like iron! After a year, doesn't show any wear from grabby pine
      branches.
      4.) Lots of pocket space for items I want to keep close at hand, including a
      firearm.

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) Too warm to wear in hot weather.
      2.) The bulk of the vest is too great to even consider carrying in my
      backpack.

      SUMMARY

      Kelly Vest on the Trail in Cooper Mountain Range
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
          Hi Kathy,

          Thanks for another review. Here are some edits for this one. Once corrected you can place it with John's review at:

          Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Kakadu Kelly CC Vest

          Ray

          *** The "CC" in the product style name translates to "concealed carry"

          Comment: it is more accurate to say "stands for" instead of translates

          *** Depending on the purpose, different canvas weights are used : 5 oz (142 g)

          EDIT: there is a space after "used" that needs to go away

          *** I have found though the Kelly is too warm for me

          Edit: I have found though "that" the Kelly is too warm for me

          ***I've worn the Kelly on at least a dozen backpacks

          EDIT: a dozen backpacking trips

          The Kelly CC Vest is trim, hides dirt well and hasn't show any signs of wear after a year of abuse. I think I'll keep it and maybe get another one - loden green, maybe?
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
            Ray,

            One more to go <g>... unless some other editor beats you to it.

            Made the correction and deleted the test file, but before I upload, was there an edit attached to the last sentence?

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
              Oh, no, I just hadn't deleted it as I was going through. All is good.

              Ray

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
                Fine. I'm getting dizzy from looking at reports in the heat.

                Thanks,
                Kathy