REPOST: OWNER REVIEW, Darryl Styles, Petzl Tikka XP2 Headlamp

  • Darryl Styles
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2012
      * *

      *Petzl Tikka XP2*

      Owner Review

      Darryl Styles

      *Reviewer Information*

      Name: Darryl Styles
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' (1.83 meters)
      Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)
      Email address: darryl.styles AT gmail DOT com
      City: Santa Fe
      State: New Mexico
      Country: USA
      Date: May 15 , 2012

      *Backpacking Background:* Backpacking has been a passion for over a decade
      now. I have used an array of products through my Military and Search and
      Rescue experience. I travel through all types of terrain on trail, but
      predominantly off trail and through all types of weather. With Search and
      Rescue, I have to plan for all conditions as I never know what could happen
      or how long I�ll be out, also what environment ill be in. I have traveled
      through many climates in various countries.

      *Product Information*

      Manufacturer: Petzl
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Listed weight without battery: 88 Grams
      MSRP: N/A

      Battery Type: AAA (Duracell Alkaline included)
      Bulb Burn Time (Bulb Life): None listed. See report body for more
      information.
      Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): 190 Hours MAX
      Illumination distance: 223 feet MAX (68 meters MAX)

      The Petzl Tikka XP2 comes in a plastic blister pack that includes the LED
      headlamp, 3 batteries, and an adjustable elastic 1-inch (25 mm) band with
      checkered orange and grey design, that incorporates a whistle into one side
      of the plastic adjuster in the headband. The headlamp housing is made from
      plastic and the elastic band is made from nylon/ polyester. There is one
      push button on top of LED unit, and a Flood light mode screen that slides
      up or down when not required. There is a low battery LED indicator on the
      unit also. It has regular lighting options as well as white strobe and red
      night vision preservation, and red strobe modes.

      *Pushbutton functionality
      *If the switch is pushed, if light is on, then it turns off.
      If the switch is pushed, if light is off, then it turns light on to high
      illumination.
      If the switch is pushed again within 2 seconds, it goes to medium
      brightness.
      If it's pushed again within 2 seconds, it goes to low brightness.
      If it's pushed again within 2 seconds it goes to Strobe.

      If the button is pushed, then held down for two seconds, it switches to one
      red LED mode to preserve naturally acquired night vision. Push button
      within 2 seconds goes to red LED strobe mode. Hold button again for two
      seconds, back to regular light options set out above.

      *Field information*
      *Locations where udes:* Dense highline bush, scrub, desert, high alpine
      (snow), kayaking and urban environments
      *Weather conditions:* Ranging from 10 F (-12 C) to 105 F (40 C). Sometimes
      heavy rain to very humid conditions. I use lithium ion batteries in cold
      alpine conditions to improve life, and decrease weight. Alkaline otherwise.

      *How it�s performed: *

      I have used Petzl headlamps for the last few years and this particular
      model has been my go to headlamp since I purchased it late September 2011.
      The new LED technology industry has seen many good developments in the last
      couple of years and that has shown in this Petzl Tikka XP2.

      Through my many outdoor pursuits this headlamp has been exposed to all
      sorts of precipitation and occasionally submersion in fresh and salt water
      due to unexpected rolls in my kayak while night paddling. Petzl �states�
      that this headlamp is water resistant to a level of IP 4X, and I couldn�t
      agree more. Although the submersions were for no more than seconds in 4
      foot (1.2 meters) of water in both salt and fresh, there were neither
      visible signs of water ingress, nor any change in light functionality. If
      anything, it cleaned the plastic lenses of the previous trips muck. The
      plastic lenses are not scratch resistant buts that�s OK as the lenses are
      recessed slightly in the housing to prevent any contact. After many drops
      on the ground and banging onto rock while climbing, there is no change to
      the lenses from purchase date. My personal use causes this headlamp to be
      strapped to all sorts of helmets in all configurations. The elastic band is
      easy to adjust and has been constructed of well placed and tough materials
      to withstand what I can only assume, is years of abuse. I believe they had
      this in mind during design phase as all the helmets I own (rock climbing,
      mountaineering, kayaking, mountain biking, ski) had no problem
      accommodating the headlamp. But in saying that, I have had the band slide
      off a couple of time on the helmets that do not have retainer clips for
      such things. I would have liked to have seen the �non-sticky� �gel-like�
      substance glued to the inside of the band similar to those found on ski
      goggles to stop this from happening. My fix was electrical tape at a couple
      of spots, which gave suitable resistance, in New Zealand where I am from,
      many things, can be solved with electrical tape and/or chewing gum.

      I often backpack through rough terrain with a helmet on due to a Search and
      Rescue mission I may be called out on. So whether I�m helping someone off a
      cliff or searching for them in the high desert trails here in New Mexico,
      the lamp has to stay on my head, and not get in the way. It works, I can
      adjust the band with one hand on helmet, I can switch modes quickly and
      efficiently, but a big thing for me is battery life, and replacement in the
      field. Battery life is not quite as good as what the manufacturer would
      like me to believe. It chews through power. But this means that when the
      light�s on full, man is it on full. It lights up everything with 80 lumens
      of brilliance for about 164 feet (50 meters), slightly less than what is
      suggested by Petzl. It may be going further, but it�s hard to test. I can
      light up in flood light mode which gives a little less light over a larger
      area which is my primary option, but on spot light mode around the
      campfire, people ask me not to bring the sun next time, it�s bright. On
      strobe, this can be seen from at least a half a mile (0.8 km) away through
      light tree cover. This has been proven by subjects reporting they have seen
      my signals from ridgelines away in light desert scrub terrain in light
      rain. When light starts to dim, I will know it. The battery indicator has
      not been a good guide; I have not replaced batteries due to seeing the
      indicator light go on, I have done so because my visibility is poor at
      best. 5 hours of high power, and I am getting batteries from my pack. Push
      the clip at rear top of housing and pop the new ones in. I found it easy,
      far easier than previous models.

      I would not put this Petzl Tikka XP2 into the washing machine, but keeping
      it clean is easy. When the mud�s dry, scrape it off, when wet, wipe it on
      your mate�s shirt when he�s not looking. Even with the sliding fog light
      shutter, no grit or sand gets in. I have face planted a couple of times
      around camp and on trail, still no impact damage to lenses or bands. Only
      sign of wear is tiny abrasions on the hard-shell plastic housing.

      *Summary *

      It�s the best water resistant headlamp I have used to date. It�s rugged,
      and has performed to my expectations, more so when referring to its water
      tightness. I see many other types in my field, this always seems to light
      up just that little bit more.

      *Things I like: *

      1. Durable and from what I can see, fairly watertight
      2. Whistle on headband
      3. Power of light projection

      *
      **Things I don't like: *

      1. Chews through batteries on high
      2. No gel strips on inside of headband to prevent band slippage on helmets
      3. Price, when you consider battery replacements too. I don�t recommend
      rechargeable.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2012
        Hi Darryl,

        OK, this is looking better. Please see the edits below. Once corrected Repost here. You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;

        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

        The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

        support group,

        BGTFileUploadHelp @

        Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you have it uploaded.

        Ray

        ***With Search and Rescue, I have to plan for all conditions as I never know what could happen or how long I'll be out, also what environment ill be in.

        EDIT: what environment "I'll" be in

        ***The headlamp housing is made from plastic and the elastic band is made from nylon/ polyester.

        EDIT: nylon/polyester (remove space)

        ***There is one push button on top of LED unit

        EDIT: on top of "the" LED unit

        ***Locations where udes:* Dense highline bush, scrub, desert, high alpine

        EDIT: where "used"

        ***I have used Petzl headlamps for the last few years and this particular
        model has been my go to headlamp

        EDIT: go-to