EDIT: OWNER REVIEW, Petzl Tikka XP2 LED Headlamp

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2012
      Hello Darryl,

      Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

      EDIT: must be changed

      When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also.

      Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

      A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

      Ray

      ***Weight: 190 lbs (96 kilos)

      EDIT: drop the "s" and since pounds is abbreviated you should do the same for the kilograms: 190 lb (96 kg)

      ***Email address: darryl.styles@...

      Comment: I highly suggest camouflaging your email address to keep it from being harvested in your published reviews. Something like
      darryl.styles AT gmail DOT com

      ***I have used an array of products through my Military and Search and
      Rescue experience.

      Comment: I thank you for your service with both.

      *** With Search and Rescue, I have to plan for all conditions as I never know what could happen or how long ill be out,

      EDIT: how long "I'll" be out

      ***MSRP: $54.95

      EDIT: if the MSRP is not on the manufacturer's website we just mark this as N/A

      ***Illumination distance: 68 Meters MAX

      EDIT: you need Imperial (or Metric) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc.

      ***The Petzl Tikka XP2 comes in a plastic blister pack that includes the LED Headlamp, 3 batteries, and an adjustable elastic 1-inch band

      EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc. (Look for all instances of this please as there is a lot of it.) No cap for "headlamp"

      *** The Headlamp housing is made from plastic and the elastic band is made from Nylon/ Polyester.

      EDIT: no caps for headlamp, nylon or polyester

      *** It has regular lighting options as well as white strobe and RED Night vision preservation, and RED strobe modes.

      EDIT: no caps for red or night (Please check for all instances.)

      ***Locations where tested:

      EDIT: as we do actually test headlamps, and so as not to confuse the reader please change this to "Locations where used"

      *** Dense Highline Bush, scrub, desert, High Alpine
      (Snow), Kayaking and Urban Environments

      EDIT: Capital letters only to start a sentence please as none of these are proper nouns

      ***Weather conditions:* Ranging from 10 degrees F to 105 degrees F.

      EDIT: need the Celsius conversions, and drop the "degrees" (10 F to 105 F)

      *** I use Lithium Ion batteries in cold alpine conditions to improve life

      EDIT: lithium ion (no caps)

      *** Petzl state that this headlamp is Water resistant

      EDIT "states" (and no cap for water)

      ***The lenses are plastic, non-scratch resistant but there seems to be no need for resistance as the lenses are recessed slightly in the housing to prevent any contact.

      Edit: this reads awkwardly. Maybe: The plastic lenses are not scratch resistant but that's OK as the lenses are recessed slightly in the housing to prevent any contact.

      ***After many drops on the ground and banging onto rock while climbing, there is no change to lens from purchase date.

      EDIT: no change to "the" "lenses" (you did say there are more than one, right?)

      ***I would have like to have seen the non sticky gel like substance glued to the inside of the band

      EDIT: I would have "liked" to have seen the "non-sticky" "gel-like" substance

      *** My fix was electrical tape I a couple of spots, which gave suitable resistance,

      EDIT: My fix was electrical tape "at" a couple of spots

      *** Here in the USA, I believe you use DUCT Tape for everything?

      Edit: I would drop this sentence as it is really speculation and adds nothing to your review.

      *** So weather I'm helping someone off a cliff

      EDIT: whether

      ***Battery life is not quite as good as what the manufacturer would
      like you to believe.

      EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

      Projection

      "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

      This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not ourselves. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

      We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

      "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

      *** But this means that when the lights on full

      EDIT: light's (or, light is)

      *** It lights up everything with 80 lumens of power

      EDIT: 80 lumens of "brilliance" (it is not a measurement of power)

      *** You can light up in flood light mode which gives a little less light over a larger area which is my primary option, but on spot around the campfire, people will be asking you not to bring the sun next time, its bright.

      EDIT: the "you" thing again, and "it's" bright

      ***When light starts to dim, you will now it.

      EDIT: When "the" light starts to dim, "I" will "know" it.

      *** 5 hours of high power, and you will see me getting batteries from my pack.

      EDIT: please keep the review in the first person.

      *** When the muds dry, scrape it off,

      EDIT: mud's (or, mud is)

      *** I out shines others at this price point.

      EDIT: we don't do comparisons, please delete this
    • fit2survive
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
        Hi Ray,

        I appreciate the input and have made said changes. I have reposted to usual place. I look forward to hearing from you. Sorry its taken so long to amend, I am still getting used to tracking around the Yahoo Website.

        Kind Regards,

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2012
          RAY - Darryl Styles - Petzl Tikka XP2 LED Headlamp - May 15 (msg#81357), Taken May 18, Edit May 19 (81374), Repost Jun 2, Edit Jun 4(81421), Follow-up sent Jul 16

          Hi Darryl,

          I hope we didn't scare you off. Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on June 4. Please refer to message number 81421 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/messages

          Editors Team Director