OWNER REVIEW, Petzl Tikka XP2 LED Headlamp

  • Darryl Styles
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2012
      -

      *Petzl Tikka XP2*

      Owner Review

      Darryl Styles

      *Reviewer Information*

      Name: Darryl Styles
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' (1.83 meters)
      Weight: 190 lbs (96 kilos)
      Email address: darryl.styles@...
      City: Santa Fe
      State: New Mexico
      Country: USA
      Date: May 15 , 2012

      *Backpacking Background:* Backpacking has been a passion for over a decade
      now. I have used an array of products through my Military and Search and
      Rescue experience. I travel through all types of terrain on trail, but
      predominantly off trail and through all types of weather. With Search and
      Rescue, I have to plan for all conditions as I never know what could happen
      or how long ill be out, also what environment ill be in. I have traveled
      through many climates in various countries.

      *Product Information*

      Manufacturer: Petzl
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Listed weight without battery: 88 Grams
      MSRP: $54.95

      Battery Type: AAA (Duracell Alkaline included)
      Bulb Burn Time (Bulb Life): None listed. See report body for more
      information.
      Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): 190 Hours MAX
      Illumination distance: 68 Meters MAX

      The Petzl Tikka XP2 comes in a plastic blister pack that includes the LED
      Headlamp, 3 batteries, and an adjustable elastic 1-inch band with checkered
      orange and grey design, that incorporates a whistle into one side of the
      plastic adjuster in the headband. The Headlamp housing is made from
      plastic and the elastic band is made from Nylon/ Polyester. There is one
      push button on top of LED unit, and a Flood light mode screen that slides
      up or down when not required. There is a low battery LED indicator on the
      unit also. It has regular lighting options as well as white strobe and RED
      Night vision preservation, and RED strobe modes.

      *Pushbutton functionality
      *If the switch is pushed, if light is on, then it turns off.
      If the switch is pushed, if light is off, then it turns light on to high
      illumination.
      If the switch is pushed again within 2 seconds, it goes to medium
      brightness.
      If it's pushed again within 2 seconds, it goes to low brightness.
      If it's pushed again within 2 seconds it goes to Strobe.

      If the button is pushed, then held down for two seconds, it switches to one
      RED LED mode to preserve naturally acquired night vision. Push button
      within 2 seconds goes to RED LED strobe mode. Hold button again for two
      seconds, back to regular light options set out above.

      *Field information*
      *Locations where tested:* Dense Highline Bush, scrub, desert, High Alpine
      (Snow), Kayaking and Urban Environments
      *Weather conditions:* Ranging from 10 degrees F to 105 degrees F. Sometimes
      heavy rain to very humid conditions. I use Lithium Ion batteries in cold
      alpine conditions to improve life, and decrease weight. Alkaline otherwise.

      *How it�s performed: *

      I have used Petzl headlamps for the last few years and this particular
      model has been my go to headlamp since I purchased it late September 2011.
      The new LED technology industry has seen many good developments in the last
      couple of years and that has shown in this Petzl Tikka XP2.

      Through my many outdoor pursuits this headlamp has been exposed to all
      sorts of precipitation and occasionally submersion in fresh and salt water
      due to unexpected rolls in my kayak while night paddling. Petzl state that
      this headlamp is Water resistant to a level of IP 4X, and I couldn�t agree
      more. Although the submersions were for no more than seconds in 4 foot of
      water in both salt and fresh, there were neither visible signs of water
      ingress, nor any change in light functionality. If anything, it cleaned the
      plastic lenses of the previous trips muck. The lenses are plastic,
      non-scratch resistant but there seems to be no need for resistance as the
      lenses are recessed slightly in the housing to prevent any contact. After
      many drops on the ground and banging onto rock while climbing, there is no
      change to lens from purchase date. My personal use causes this headlamp to
      be strapped to all sorts of helmets in all configurations. The elastic band
      is easy to adjust and has been constructed of well placed and tough
      materials to withstand what I can only assume, is years of abuse. I believe
      they had this in mind during design phase as all the helmets I own (rock
      climbing, mountaineering, kayaking, mountain biking, ski) had no problem
      accommodating the headlamp. But in saying that, I have had the band slide
      off a couple of time on the helmets that do not have retainer clips for
      such things. I would have like to have seen the non sticky gel like
      substance glued to the inside of the band similar to those found on ski
      goggles to stop this from happening. My fix was electrical tape I a couple
      of spots, which gave suitable resistance, in New Zealand where I am from,
      many things, can be solved with electrical tape. Here in the USA, I believe
      you use DUCT Tape for everything?

      I often backpack through rough terrain with a helmet on due to a Search and
      Rescue mission I may be called out on. So weather I�m helping someone off a
      cliff or searching for them in the high desert trails here in New Mexico,
      the lamp has to stay on my head, and not get in the way. It works, I can
      adjust the band with one hand on helmet, I can switch modes quickly and
      efficiently, but a big thing for me is battery life, and replacement in the
      field. Battery life is not quite as good as what the manufacturer would
      like you to believe. It chews through power. But this means that when the
      lights on full, man is it on full. It lights up everything with 80 lumens
      of power for about 50 meters (68 according to petzl). It may be going
      further, but it�s hard to test. You can light up in flood light mode which
      gives a little less light over a larger area which is my primary option,
      but on spot around the campfire, people will be asking you not to bring the
      sun next time, its bright. On strobe, this can be seen from at least a half
      a mile away through light tree cover. This has been proven by subjects
      reporting they have seen my signals from ridgelines away in light desert
      scrub terrain in light rain. When light starts to dim, you will now it. The
      battery indicator has not been a good guide; I have not replaced batteries
      due to seeing the indicator light go on, I have done so because my
      visibility is useless. 5 hours of high power, and you will see me getting
      batteries from my pack. Push the clip at rear top of housing and pop the
      new ones in. I found it easy, far easier than previous models.

      I would not put this Petzl Tikka XP2 into the washing machine, but keeping
      it clean is easy. When the muds dry, scrape it off, when wet, wipe it on
      your mate�s shirt when he�s not looking. Even with the sliding fog light
      shutter, no grit or sand gets in. I have face planted a couple of times
      around camp and on trail, still no impact damage to lenses or bands. Only
      sign of wear is tiny abrasions on the hard-shell plastic housing.

      *Summary *

      It�s the best water resistant headlamp I have used to date. It�s rugged,
      and has performed to my expectations, more so when referring to its water
      tightness. I out shines others at this price point. I see many other types
      in my field, this always seems to light up just that little bit more.

      *Things I like: *

      1. Durable and from what I can see, watertight
      2. Whistle on headband
      3. Power of light projection

      *
      **Things I don't like: *

      1. Chews through batteries on high
      2. No gel strips on inside of headband to prevent band slippage on helmets
      3. Price, when you consider battery replacements too. I don�t recommend
      rechargeable.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2012
        Hello Darryl,

        Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also.

        Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

        A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

        Ray

        ***Weight: 190 lbs (96 kilos)

        EDIT: drop the "s" and since pounds is abbreviated you should do the same for the kilograms: 190 lb (96 kg)

        ***Email address: darryl.styles@...

        Comment: I highly suggest camouflaging your email address to keep it from being harvested in your published reviews. Something like
        darryl.styles AT gmail DOT com

        ***I have used an array of products through my Military and Search and
        Rescue experience.

        Comment: I thank you for your service with both.

        *** With Search and Rescue, I have to plan for all conditions as I never know what could happen or how long ill be out,

        EDIT: how long "I'll" be out

        ***MSRP: $54.95

        EDIT: if the MSRP is not on the manufacturer's website we just mark this as N/A

        ***Illumination distance: 68 Meters MAX

        EDIT: you need Imperial (or Metric) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc.

        ***The Petzl Tikka XP2 comes in a plastic blister pack that includes the LED Headlamp, 3 batteries, and an adjustable elastic 1-inch band

        EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc. (Look for all instances of this please as there is a lot of it.) No cap for "headlamp"

        *** The Headlamp housing is made from plastic and the elastic band is made from Nylon/ Polyester.

        EDIT: no caps for headlamp, nylon or polyester

        *** It has regular lighting options as well as white strobe and RED Night vision preservation, and RED strobe modes.

        EDIT: no caps for red or night (Please check for all instances.)

        ***Locations where tested:

        EDIT: as we do actually test headlamps, and so as not to confuse the reader please change this to "Locations where used"

        *** Dense Highline Bush, scrub, desert, High Alpine
        (Snow), Kayaking and Urban Environments

        EDIT: Capital letters only to start a sentence please as none of these are proper nouns

        ***Weather conditions:* Ranging from 10 degrees F to 105 degrees F.

        EDIT: need the Celsius conversions, and drop the "degrees" (10 F to 105 F)

        *** I use Lithium Ion batteries in cold alpine conditions to improve life

        EDIT: lithium ion (no caps)

        *** Petzl state that this headlamp is Water resistant

        EDIT "states" (and no cap for water)

        ***The lenses are plastic, non-scratch resistant but there seems to be no need for resistance as the lenses are recessed slightly in the housing to prevent any contact.

        Edit: this reads awkwardly. Maybe: The plastic lenses are not scratch resistant but that's OK as the lenses are recessed slightly in the housing to prevent any contact.

        ***After many drops on the ground and banging onto rock while climbing, there is no change to lens from purchase date.

        EDIT: no change to "the" "lenses" (you did say there are more than one, right?)

        ***I would have like to have seen the non sticky gel like substance glued to the inside of the band

        EDIT: I would have "liked" to have seen the "non-sticky" "gel-like" substance

        *** My fix was electrical tape I a couple of spots, which gave suitable resistance,

        EDIT: My fix was electrical tape "at" a couple of spots

        *** Here in the USA, I believe you use DUCT Tape for everything?

        Edit: I would drop this sentence as it is really speculation and adds nothing to your review.

        *** So weather I'm helping someone off a cliff

        EDIT: whether

        ***Battery life is not quite as good as what the manufacturer would
        like you to believe.

        EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

        Projection

        "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

        This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not ourselves. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

        We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

        "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

        *** But this means that when the lights on full

        EDIT: light's (or, light is)

        *** It lights up everything with 80 lumens of power

        EDIT: 80 lumens of "brilliance" (it is not a measurement of power)

        *** You can light up in flood light mode which gives a little less light over a larger area which is my primary option, but on spot around the campfire, people will be asking you not to bring the sun next time, its bright.

        EDIT: the "you" thing again, and "it's" bright

        ***When light starts to dim, you will now it.

        EDIT: When "the" light starts to dim, "I" will "know" it.

        *** 5 hours of high power, and you will see me getting batteries from my pack.

        EDIT: please keep the review in the first person.

        *** When the muds dry, scrape it off,

        EDIT: mud's (or, mud is)

        *** I out shines others at this price point.

        EDIT: we don't do comparisons, please delete this
      • fit2survive
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
          Hi Ray,

          I appreciate the input and have made said changes. I have reposted to usual place. I look forward to hearing from you. Sorry its taken so long to amend, I am still getting used to tracking around the Yahoo Website.

          Kind Regards,

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16, 2012
            RAY - Darryl Styles - Petzl Tikka XP2 LED Headlamp - May 15 (msg#81357), Taken May 18, Edit May 19 (81374), Repost Jun 2, Edit Jun 4(81421), Follow-up sent Jul 16

            Hi Darryl,

            I hope we didn't scare you off. Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on June 4. Please refer to message number 81421 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/messages

            Editors Team Director