Andrew Hamilton- REPOST- Owner Review- MSR HUBBA HUBBA TENT

  • Andrew Hamilton
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2012
      MSR HUBBA HUBBA
      BY ANDREW HAMILTON
      OR
      April 30, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Andrew Hamilton
      EMAIL: dirtslinger87@...
      AGE: 25
      LOCATION: Murray,Kentucky
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I am an avid outdoorsman and have been all my life. Grew up in Southwest Missouri on Table Rock Lake. I love anything outside, hunting, fishing, camping, and just exploring the great outdoors. I am married  and my wife loves the outdoors as much as I do. Most of our camping is near water, not sure why, we just like to swim and be on the water I guess.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://cascadedesigns.com
      MSRP: $329.95
      Listed Weight: 4 lb 8 oz (2.04 kg)
      Measured Weight:4 lb 8 oz (2.04 kg)
      4Other details:2- person, 3- season
      Floor Space: 29 square feet (2.7 square meters)
      Vestibule : 17.5 square feet total or 8.75 square feet each ( 1.62 square meters total or .81 square meters each)
      Height: 40 inches (1 meter)
      Floor Dimensions: 84 inches X 50 inches (2.1 meters X 1.3 meters)
      Rain Fly Material: 40D x 238T ripstop Nylon 6, 1500 millimeter  polyurethane and silicone coated
      Canopy: 40D x 238T ripstop Nylon 6 , 20D polyester mesh
      Floor: 40D x 238T ripstop Nylon 6, 10,000 millimeter polyurethane coated
      Freestanding
      Poles: 1 aluminum anodized  ( DAC)

      FIELD USE

      The first day I got the tent my wife and I spent the night in our front yard in southwest Missouri. It was mid August , about 80 F (27 C)  and 85% humidity. Needless to say she went back in the house before midnight and a little upset with me for making her stay that long. Although the sweat was miserable I knew right away I had a new love in my life, the Hubba Hubba.
           Since that time we have spent probably 30 nights in the Hubba Hubba camped at our favorite spot on Flat Creek and a dozen or so in various other places throughout Arkansas (AR) , Missouri (MO) and Oklahoma (OK).
            The tent has preformed splendidly in every scenario. Whether in Oklahoma enduring 60mph winds in fall, or 80 F (27 C) nights on the river in late July. It is very fast and easy to setup. My wife and I after a little practice set it up out of the bag in under a minute. It can go even lighter if you want to you use just the rain fly and the footprint. I have only done this once. It is worth it to me to have a little more weight and not wake up to every crawling thing imaginable on my face! Either way the tent still did its job.
             I have taken the tent on about 6 backpacking trips and the rest of the time has been car camping. The tent packs down pretty well for a tent that has 29 square feet ( 2.7 square meters ) of floor space. When backpacking I like to take the poles out of the tent bag and store them on an external pocket on my pack. This really helped to get the tent itself packed even smaller.
             The waterproofing on the tent has been great. I've been snowed on and rained on a few times and  never got wet. I have noticed a little condensation build up on the inside though, not bad but definitely want to let it dry before packing it up.
             The tent has a door on both sides which was a big seller for me. I can keep my  stuff on my side in the spacious vestibule and my partner has their own door and vestibule to clutter up as they please!
              As far as room goes it is pretty good. For a married guy that takes his wife its fine. On the other hand,with two full size sweaty men the tent can seem kind of small. The pole that spans the roof of the tent is genius! I can sit up and play cards til the rain stops without getting a sore neck.
             Durability, so far so good. Most of our use is on flint rock creek banks and no sign of wear yet. I have never used the tent without the optional foot print and never would. It was cheap insurance in my book. I have developed a few stains on the rain fly from a mix of dew and ash from the fire. Other than that it cleans up well.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I love this tent. I did a lot of research and hands-on at the store before I made my pick. I feel like it paid off. It's light weight (4 lb 8 oz, 2.04 kg), dry, 3 season and 2 person. Just so happens that's everything I was looking for in a tent. Packs down pretty good and setup is a breeze.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Everything!
      1. Lightweight
      2. Very weatherproof
      3. Easy setup
      4. Very durable

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      While the color looks good I was pretty upset when I realized the wind had changed overnight and covered my beloved tent with ash!! The heavy dew and ash coating made for a Dalmatian effect on my yellow rain fly. I know it's only cosmetic , but still. A darker color would've prevented that.

      SIGNATURE

      Andrew Hamilton

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2012
        Hi Andrew,

        You must have missed this part of the last edit:

        We suggest people start with a smaller piece of gear to do their first review. Things like clothing, cookware, compression sack, something like that. This is because it is easier to get through while you are starting out. We don't suggest things like shelters, packs or electronics because there is so much to tell about them. You have chosen to review a tent. (One I know well, I had the 3-person version and the HP version of yours.) One thing you review is missing is the product description. This is needed for any review and for a tent review there is a lot of information to convey. If you want to go ahead with this review I will edit what is here, but you will need to add a Product Description section to the review to go forward.

        If you need help with this I suggest contacting Jenn and getting a mentor to work with you. Send an email to mentor@... asking for a mentor if that is what you want to do.

        Otherwise read some tent reviews from veteran testers to see what they do.

        Ray
      • Andrew Hamilton
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2012
          Ray,
          Thanks again Ray. I think I'm going to hold off on tent review for now. I don't want to keep wasting your time or mine! I have a bunch of little, very simple stuff rolling around in my pack, think I'll start there. Read a few tent reviews since your last email and I think I will do it for my second OR because I hate to give up on anything.

          Andrew

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 8, 2012, at 7:47 AM, "Ray" <rayestrella@...> wrote:

          > Hi Andrew,
          >
          > You must have missed this part of the last edit:
          >
          > We suggest people start with a smaller piece of gear to do their first review. Things like clothing, cookware, compression sack, something like that. This is because it is easier to get through while you are starting out. We don't suggest things like shelters, packs or electronics because there is so much to tell about them. You have chosen to review a tent. (One I know well, I had the 3-person version and the HP version of yours.) One thing you review is missing is the product description. This is needed for any review and for a tent review there is a lot of information to convey. If you want to go ahead with this review I will edit what is here, but you will need to add a Product Description section to the review to go forward.
          >
          > If you need help with this I suggest contacting Jenn and getting a mentor to work with you. Send an email to mentor@... asking for a mentor if that is what you want to do.
          >
          > Otherwise read some tent reviews from veteran testers to see what they do.
          >
          > Ray
          >

          > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
          > How 6-year-old saved best friend's life
          > Privacy Policy

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2012
            Hi Andrew,

            Definitely hang on to it, but it is a good idea to do something easier first. Just make sure whatever it is that it is currently available. I was going to let the tent go even though they updated it as I believe just the color changed on them.

            If you are not sure feel free to ask here.

            Ray