repost: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive

  • thrash_lord
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2012
      Kershaw Ken Onion Chive
      BY THADDEUS TARASKIEWICZ
      OR
      April 25, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Thaddeus Taraskiewicz
      EMAIL: thrash_lord@...
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Tucson, AZ
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 176 lb (79.80 kg)

      Hiking mostly in New England in the forest covered hills, with occasional forays in to other areas in the east such as Virginia's Appalachians or the Great Smokies, Hiking was a very informal, but constant childhood activity. Other areas of the country began to get explored later on as my brothers and I reached teenage years, such as the Black Hills and National parks such as Glacier and Yellowstone.
      My mothers interest at this time went more into backpacking as she joined the ATC and became part of the maintenance crew in western Connecticut. Trail work and my first framed pack were introduced to me at this point, and a desire to see other parts of the country in the wild that was born in the South Dakota Badlands at 14 found a medium.
      In the dozen years that I have been in Arizona, periods of limited transportation have created a couple of lulls in the time I spend on the trail, but my progress to exploring all between the Chiricahuas and the Columbia river gorge has been steadily accelerating in the last several years.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Kershaw
      Year of Manufacture:2002
      Manufacturer's Website: <<kershawknives.com
      MSRP: US$ 109.95
      Listed Weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)
      Measured Weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)
      Other details:
      CHIVE - 1600BLK
      Steel: 420HC, polished DLC coating
      Handle: 410 stainless steel, DLC coating
      Blade Length: 1 15/16 in. (4.9 cm)
      Closed Length: 2 7/8 in. (7.3 cm)
      Overall Length: 3 13/16 in. (9.9 cm)
      Weight: 1.9 oz.

      The Kershaw chive Series features the SpeedSafe registered opening system set up for ambidextrous operation. This is a Kershaw specialty that flips the blade open with a spring and a section of the rotating section of the knife, just below the blade. This provides a fast smooth operation that reliably fully opens the blade to the lock position.
      It also features the Safety Tip Lock to prevent accidental opening. This is sliding stop with a tension adjustment screw. A pocket clip that can be removed also is standard. It is manufactured from 420HC stainless steel, which is a harder version of 420 knife steel.
      Aesthetically, the knife is all curves like a typical Ken Onion design. Reminiscent of an old Ferrari 288 GTO, it unfortunately doesn't come in racing red. It does, however, come in stainless steel, a polished stainless, a glossy black (tested) and a rainbow, which has a titanium oxide coating that reflects a rainbow hue.

      FIELD USE

      This knife has been with me on numerous excursions. The first I will detail was a hike into secret canyon near Sedona, AZ in 2009. A simple overnight hike and camp up the Secret canyon trail, the usage during this trip was mostly to open packaged food and to slice it up. The second Camping usage was during the same trip at fossil creek. In this trip the knife was employed more in food preparation and consumption (ribeyes!). The third time I'll list was in camping expedition into the Arivaipa Wilderness, where besides food consumption, the knife was used to help modify the straps on my well worn archaic backpack.

      SUMMARY

      The knife when open feels very solid for a folding knife. The opening system is fast and consistent, without a single misfire in all the years since purchase. The tip locking mechanism allows for one handed operation, from a right handed hold the pinkie can be used to engage and disengage the lock, with the index finger ready to operate the opening system. The compact size and curve of the blade allow it to very precise, whether fitting into a tight space or scraping a very irregular three dimensional surface.
      Standard knife needs, like cutting meat, cheese, vegetables and tortillas are performed well. The recessed curve of the blade near the hilt is especially good at keeping sharp for these tasks when the front gets dull from rope and wood cutting

      THINGS I LIKE

      This knife is very compact and reliable. Its ergonomics lend to slightly different, yet comfortable feel. The operation of the opening system has been flawless every time for over half a decade and running. The quality of construction in the hinges and blade clasp has been great, their operation is still tight and clean.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      This knife is not made out of the hardest steel and wear will be noticeable without extensive use. This will call attention to the highly curved blade on such a small knife; this is a difficult blade for a novice to sharpen evenly. With prolonged use, the glossy black finish will show scratches easily due to its high sheen. Care must be taken to buff scratches quickly in order to maintain appearance.

      SIGNATURE

      Thaddeus Taraskiewicz thrash_lord@...

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2012
        Hi Thad,

        In this post:

        I gave you instructions for posting. You need to follow the directions we give. It is how your review gets moved along in the process. REPOST is only for reviews that have been added to the queue and picked up by an editor. REVISED lets them know that you have done just that, revised a prior review and then they will use that to add it to the queue.

        Please add a new post with the proper subject line so you can get added to next weeks queue. An editor will take it once the queue is updated.