Edit/Approval: OR - Steripen Opti - Jerry Adams

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 10:44 AM
      Hi Jerry,

      Thanks for the OR. I have one of these too. Your edits are below. Once they are corrected you may place the review at:

      Reviews > Water Treatment > Ultraviolet > SteriPEN AdventureOpti
      Ray

      ***The Steripen Adventurer Opti is a UV water purifier.

      EDIT: SteriPEN (spelling needs to be like they do it. All instances please.)

      ***It kills all types of parasites - bacteria, Giardia, Crypto, and viruses.

      EDIT: well the UV doesn't kill anything. It just makes it so they can't reproduce. I would change "kills" to "treats"

      ***An earlier version of Steripen uses electrical contacts to detect if the UV lamp is pulled out of the water. I have heard that this sometimes fails and the LED water detector of the Opti is supposed to work better.

      EDIT: need to just stick to reviewing your model, not talking about past failures, unless you had one yourself.

      ***Treated water has no added taste or color like some other treatments.

      EDIT: "The" treated water has no added taste
      Actually I think it would be better to say that the Opti does not change the taste of the water that is being treated. It doesn't make cruddy water taste any better.

      ***Then I used Energizer disposable batteries. These worked fairly good.

      Edit: fairly "well"

      ***Over 8 months I successfully treated 28 1/2 liters before it quit working - it worked for about 1 second then turned off and the red LED came on. This is less than the advertised 100 treatments, but still usable.

      Edit: "on the 29th treatment" it worked for about 1 second then turned off

      ***One problem with the Opti, is the button is hard to push. On the internet I have heard this is a common problem. Maybe some Optis are worse? Maybe it's worse when it's cold? Some people quit using the Opti because of this.

      EDIT: again, just stick with your use and observations. Nothing about what others did please.

      *** With the spare batteries it weighs less than 5 ounces

      EDIT: need the metric conversion

      ***If I could find a filter that weighed as little as the Opti, I might switch to that.

      Comment: check out the Sawyer Squeeze