Repost Owner Review GSI Kettle - Nick Martin

  • card_base
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2012
      Roger and Ray,
      Thanks for all your help and patience. I hope I got it this time.
      I have re-posted my review to the BGT site with all edits completed.
      Please let me know if it's good to go!
      http://tinyurl.com/7osde2e
      Nick Martin

      GSI OUTDOORS TEA KETTLE HAE
      BY NICHOLAS MARTIN
      OR
      March 8,2012
      http://tinyurl.com/7osde2e

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nicholas Martin
      EMAIL: ces_n.martinATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 29
      LOCATION: Oak Hills,California,United States
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg)
      I have been hiking and camping for as long as I can remember, but began backpacking about 4 years ago and now hike as often as I can. I hike primarily in the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests but try to take at least one trip a year to the Sierra Nevada. I am an overnight to weekend backpacker and try to stay as lightweight as possible. I enjoy hiking solo but never pass up the opportunity to hike with friends, most commonly my wife Yasmine and our Husky pup Loki.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors
      Website: www.gsioutdoors.com
      Product: Tea Kettle HAE 1 Quart with lid
      Year Manufactured: 2009
      MSRP: $22.95 US dollars
      Listed Weight: 5.8 ounces (164 grams)
      Actual Weight: 5.9 ounces (168 grams)
      Dimensions: 6.3" x 6" x 3.2" (16 cm x 15.2 cm x 8.1 cm)
      Volume: 32 fl oz (0.95 liters)
      Material: Proprietary, Hard Anodized Alloy
      Color: Black

      <<IMAGE1>>
      Courtesy of GSI Outdoors

      The GSI HaluliteTea Kettle is exactly what the name describes - a tea kettle. The Kettle is made from anodized aluminum and comes with a fitted lid. It is round in shape and has orange coated "handle", I believe that the coating is silicone, for holding the kettle as well as an orange coated "loop" on the lid. Both remain quite cool even after boiling water and provide good control when removing the kettle from the heat source and opening the lid to check on my boil. Both handles fold flat against the kettle minimizing the space taken up in my pack. The kettle has an open spout which makes it very easy to pour hot water into any drinking vessel or other desired location.

      The primary function I use the kettle for is to boil water for tea, coffee, or to rehydrate meals. Inside the kettle there is enough room to fit a variety of small canister stoves or, my preference for use with this kettle, an alcohol stove. Unlike typical stove-top kettles there is no whistle when the water has reached a boil. Rather, there is a small hole in the lid, along with the spout, which allows steam to escape signaling that the water is in fact boiling.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE2>>
      Trail Camp, Mt. Whitney

      A few of the trips I have used this kettle include various sections of the Pacific Crest Trail in the Angeles National Forest, elevations ranging from 5,000 ft to 8,000 ft (1500 m to 2400 m) and temp's ranging from 38 F (3 C) to 80 F (26 C) during the summer months of 2011 totaling approximately 50 mi (80.4 km).

      Another trip this kettle was used was to San Bernardino Peak in the San Gorgonio Wilderness in August 2011.

      The above picture was taken during a trip to Mount Whitney in the Sierra Nevada In mid-August where the elevation of our camp was 12,000 ft ( 3,657.6 m ) and temps ranging from 31 F (-1 C) to 55 F (12 C).

      I have used the GSI Tea Kettle for a total of 7 nights backpacking and 9 nights while car camping.

      Observations

      Two things that caught my attention about the kettle was its small size and understanding the specific task it would perform in my cook-set. Since I primarily rehydrate meals and use alcohol stoves, I wanted something light weight and compact while still giving me room to store my fuel bottle, stove, windscreen, and heat reflector. This kettle seemed to meet all those requirements.
      <<IMAGE3>>
      Packed for the trail

      It is very simple to use with very little set up time to get my water boiling. Just pour in the desired amount of water, light up the stove, and wait! Using my alcohol stove I would have hot water in about 6 minutes, but using my canister stove (a MSR Pocket Rocket) I would have hot water in less than 2 minutes. It does have a round stable base; however, I would not recommend using it with that stove in particular. It felt a little hard to center on the Pocket Rocket. I found the kettle much easier to center on my alcohol stove.
      <<IMAGE4>>
      Waiting to boil

      When my water was ready to use, I just grabbed the handle, picked up the kettle, and poured the water into my cup for coffee. The handle was not hot at all and is placed at a comfortable distance away from the hot kettle keeping me safe from an accidental burn. Overall this kettle is super easy to use and a safe way to boil water. My wife and I even used it with our two-burner Coleman stove while car camping!

      After using all the water I had boiled I wondered how quickly the kettle would cool down for storage. Not long at all! In fact by the time I even thought to try and touch it, it had cooled. I would estimate that 5-10 min would be a good time period to allow the kettle to cool before packing it back up in my pack. I just had to make sure to dry it out in the sun or wipe it down with a bandanna before storing it because it did tend to retain a small amount of moisture inside after use.

      Another comforting thing about this kettle is that at no time did I worry about crushing it or anything stored inside of it. This thing is solid! Tossing my pack on the ground or bumping into a rock would not even phase this little boil machine. It is a tank!

      Re-Cap

      My overall experience using the GSI Kettle has been terrific. It is small, boils water efficiently, easy to use, and super durable. My only complaints would be that it does retain water in the pot and under the lid, but nothing a little rag or sunlight couldn't cure, and secondly the lid was at times difficult to remove with the main handle completely upright. In my opinion the pros out-weigh the cons any day of the week.

      SIGNATURE

      Nicholas Martin
      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • card_base
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2012
        Roger,
        Should have it cleaned up with all decimals rounded off to even numbers.
        http://tinyurl.com/7osde2e

        GSI OUTDOORS TEA KETTLE HAE
        BY NICHOLAS MARTIN
        OWNER REVIEW
        March 08, 2012
        http://tinyurl.com/7osde2e

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Nicholas Martin
        EMAIL: ces_n.martinATyahooDOTcom
        AGE: 29
        LOCATION: Oak Hills,California,United States
        GENDER: M
        HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
        WEIGHT: 154 lb (70.00 kg)
        I have been hiking and camping for as long as I can remember, but began backpacking about 4 years ago and now hike as often as I can. I hike primarily in the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests but try to take at least one trip a year to the Sierra Nevada. I am an overnight to weekend backpacker and try to stay as lightweight as possible. I enjoy hiking solo but never pass up the opportunity to hike with friends, most commonly my wife Yasmine and our Husky pup Loki.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors
        Website: www.gsioutdoors.com
        Product: Tea Kettle HAE 1 Quart with lid
        Year Manufactured: 2009
        MSRP: $22.95 US dollars
        Listed Weight: 5.8 ounces (164 grams)
        Actual Weight: 5.9 ounces (168 grams)
        Dimensions: 6.3" x 6" x 3.2" (16 cm x 15.2 cm x 8.1 cm)
        Volume: 32 fl oz (0.95 liters)
        Material: Proprietary, Hard Anodized Aluminum Alloy
        Color: Black

[...]

        A few of the trips I have used this kettle include various sections of the Pacific Crest Trail in the Angeles National Forest, elevations ranging from 5,000 ft to 8,000 ft (1500 m to 2400 m) and temp's ranging from 38 F (3 C) to 80 F (26 C) during the summer months of 2011 totaling approximately 50 mi (80 km).

        Another trip this kettle was used was to San Bernardino Peak in the San Gorgonio Wilderness in August 2011.

        The above picture was taken during a trip to Mount Whitney in the Sierra Nevada in mid-August where the elevation of our camp was 12,000 ft ( 3,660 m ) and temps ranging from 31 F (-1 C) to 55 F (12 C).

[...]

      • Roger
        Message 3 of 4 , May 12, 2012
          Hi Nick

          As your mentor Ray may have mentioned to you, paying close attention to ALL edits is essential. But this time it looks as though you have fixed everything possible.

          Delete the file in the test folder and upload to
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/GSI%20Tea%20Kettle/

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
        • card_base
          Message 4 of 4 , May 12, 2012
            Roger,
            Thanks for everything, above all, your patience.
            This was my first review and I have learned a great deal and will do my best to improve with every review i write!
            I will hop on BGT right now and get that uploaded.
            Again, thanks for all your guidance!