OR - Granite Gear Zippsack - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2012
      For April's BP, hhis is an OR on my all-time favorite product:

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/7gky69b

      Owner
      Review:

      Granite Gear Air Zippsack

      April 27, 2012

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Gail
      Staisil

      Age: 59

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)

      Weight: 152 lb (68 kg)

      Email: woodswoman2001 AT yahoo DOT com

      Location: Marquette, Michigan USA

      For the last two
      decades, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season
      backpacker
      and an off-trail navigator. Although I do take yearly trips to the
      American West or Southwest, the majority of my trips are in Michigan
      and Canada. My pack weight varies considerably, but my base weight is
      under 14 lb (6.35 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages
      over 50 nights a year backpacking in a huge variety of weather
      conditions including relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero (0 F/-18 C)
      temps.

            Manufacturer

            Granite Gear

            Year of Manufacture

            2004

            URL
             http://www.granitegear.com

            Model

            Air Zippsack

            Color

            White (Presently available in different colors)

            Materials

            30 D Sil-Nylon Cordura

            Size

            Small (12 in/30 cm X 8 in/18 cm X 7 in/15 cm)

            Listed
      Weight

            1.4 oz (40 g)

            Measured
      Weight

            1.4 oz (40 g)

            MSRP

             NA

      Product
      Description

       The Granite Gear Zippsack is one of several storage or packing
      systems that are offered by the manufacturer. The Zippsack is an ultralight zippered-storage container. It looks
      much like a traditional men's toiletries case that has a
      three-dimensional rectangular shape with a zippered top. The Air Zippsack (formerly known as the Air Space)
      comes
      in several sizes from XXS to M.

      The
      Zippsack is made out of 30-D Sil Cordura Nylon Rip-Stop. The fabric
      weight is light and the color is almost translucent. A
      water-resistant black YKK zipper runs the center of the length of the
      top. The zipper pull has a small micro-cord attached. The seams of the
      sack are fully finished. One end of the sack has a black 9.5 in (24 cm)
      long grosgrain ribbon, sewed into a loop and inserted into the seam.

      The
      Air Zippsacks have helped to replace a traditional
      packing system of stuff sacks to compartmentalize my pack. Although it
      does not compress the items stored such as a stuff sack would do, I
      find that I can squeeze and compress them anywhere in my backpack and
      they conform to the space available. In addition,
      I have also utilized the Air Zippsacks on multitudes of day hike
      excursions to
      hold my rain gear, hat and gloves. This allowed me to grab these items
      quickly when needed, out of my otherwise unorganized day pack.

      Field Information

      have owned and
      carried the
      Granite Gear Air Zippsacks during all my backpacking trips for the last
      eight years. Although I own several sizes of the Air Zippsacks I take at
      least five of them on every trip year round. Most of my Air Zippsacks
      are at least eight years old although I have bought a few new ones
      since. During at least 500 nights, I have found that there are infinite bonuses to using an Air Zippsack:

      Accessibility:
      This is the #1 asset to me. Each Air Zippsack has a water-resistant
      zipper across the
      entire length of the top. This type of zipper eliminates the need for a
      zipper flap as it will keep most water out if fully closed. On my size
      small
      Air Zippsack, the zipper measures 17.25 in (44 cm). While the total
      length
      of the size small Air Zippsack is 12 in (30 cm), the additional zipper
      length is
      divided equally half-way down both the "end" panels of the sack. I have
      total access to the goods that I store in each Air Zippsack. I never
      have to empty the contents of a traditional stuff sack to find the item
      at the bottom of the bag. I normally utilize one or two Air Zippsacks
      during each trip to hold my food and several others to hold
      incidentals and extra clothing. Smaller items such as socks are never
      "lost" anymore in
      an attempt to retrieve them.

      Water-resistant: While the Air Zippsack is touted as being
      water-resistant, I would suggest it is even a step beyond that. The
      "bathtub" construction of the bag means no seams can leak when set on a
      wet surface. Since I have unpacked or packed my backpack in many
      adverse conditions, I appreciate that fact that I can unpack the items
      and expose them to the elements without worry. More times than not I
      have placed them on the wet ground as well without an issue. In
      combination with the water-resistant zipper and water-resistant fabric,
      I have never had a problem with any of my
      contents getting wet when used in the above manner.

      Because I use a couple of my Zippsacks for food storage they are bear
      hung (using the grosgrain loop on one end of the sack for rope
      attachment). I always pack my food in Ziploc brand storage bags inside
      the Zippsack. I have had some moisture infiltrate through the Zippsack
      but this is to be expected as they are only water-resistant. That said
      they have been in some terrific storms throughout hundreds of nights.

      Shape of Air Zippsack: The boxy-rectangular shape of the Air Zippsack makes
      packing so efficient. It easily conforms to whatever space I place it
      in my backpack. If I have to pull it out, it is easily retrieved by
      pulling on the grosgrain-loop handle which is attached to one end. The
      slippery surface of the Sil-Nylon does not displace other items in the
      pack when extracting what I need.

      Weight: The Air Zippsack is made out of a super-light Sil-Nylon. The
      weight savings over many traditional storage sacks add up to a significant
      amount. The total weight for a roomy size small Air Zippsack is 1.4 oz (40 g).

      Fully finished seams: All of the seams in an Air Zippsack are impeccably
      encased in black Nylon. During extended use of 500 plus nights, I haven't experienced any
      malfunction in the construction of the seams - there are no tears, rips
      or stress points.

      Durability: What
      more can I say here...after over 500 nights, they are still amazingly
      perfect. Occasionally I have thrown them in the washing machine and
      they have cleaned up very well, that is especially noticeable on the
      white ones that I own.

      Although the majority of my backcountry trips were in the
      state of Michigan, USA,  I have also traveled to many hiking
      destinations in Canada and various places stretching from
      California to New Hampshire in the USA. Much of my area
      of travel covered
      hilly boreal
      and deciduous
      forests, tundra, mountains as well as frozen lakes. Elevations have
      ranged from over 600 ft (183 m) to 14,000 ft (4267 m) and
      temperatures ranged
      from a low of -31 F(-35 C) to about 95 F
      (35 C).

      I really really
      love the Air Zippsacks! Not only has it made my life much
      easier, it is a true quality product. Although I have changed every
      other piece of my gear in my backpack through the years, the Granite
      Gear Air Zippsacks have remained. This year I purchased some new
      products in the same line (Air ZippDitty). They are much smaller
      versions of the Air Zippsacks and I am excited for all the
      possibilities!

      Pros:

      Sil-Nylon fabric Almost translucent fabric
      Lightness
      Accessibility
      Water-resistant Very Durable

      Variety of sizes available