OR - Sea to Summit Silk Liner - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2012
      G'day Editors,Here's one for April's OR call.  Link to folder and text below.  Thank you for your editing efforts.Mike
      http://tinyurl.com/6mu8moa

      SEA TO SUMMIT SILK LINERBY MIKE PEARLORApril 17, 2012 TESTER INFORMATION NAME: Mike PearlEMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcomAGE: 38LOCATION: Woodstock, Vermont, USAGENDER: MHEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg) My backpacking experience began nine years ago, after years of car camping. Most trips are for two or three days, some lasting a week. I hike with a group of two to four, with plans for a multi-day solo hike this summer. I pack a tent or tarp depending on availability of trail shelters.  An average day is 12 miles (19 km). While aware of weight, it is not my primary concern. I strive for enjoyable outings with functional, reliable gear. I usually travel in woodland mountain terrain. I am a three-season camper, but enjoy hiking all year.

       PRODUCT INFORMATION Manufacturer: Sea To SummitYear of Manufacture: 2010  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.seatosummit.com" LINK TEXT = "www.seatosummit.com">>MSRP: Not ListedModel: Silk Standard (Rectangular)
      Listed Weight: 4.6 oz (130 g)Measured Weight:  3.4 oz (96 g) liner only, 4 oz (113 g) with stuff sackListed Dimensions: 73 x 36 in (185 x 92 cm)Measured Dimensions: 72 x 36 in (183 x 92 cm) liner, 5 x 3.5 x 2 in (12.5 x 9 x 5 cm) inside                                            stuff sack
      Color Reviewed: Navy blueOther Colors Available: Eucalyptus green, Jacaranda purple, Kangaroo brown, Outback red and                                           Pacific blue
      Material: 100% silk - AA Grade, 10-momme ripstopOther Details: Machine washable                          Double folded seams                          Stuff sack included

      The Sea to Summit Silk Liner is a thin, lightweight, for lack of a better word sack.  When used within a sleeping bag the Liner increases the bags insulating value.  In addition the Liner helps to keep the inside of the sleeping bag clean.  In warmer temperatures the Liner can be used alone as a sleeping bag. FIELD USE I have used the Sea to Summit Silk Liner for two seasons now.  I purchased it to increase the temperature rating of my sleeping bag.  The bag is rated for 40 F (4 C).  Sea to Summit says to Liner can provide an additional 10 F (6 C) of insulation.
      I have been comfortable with overnight temperatures ranging from 30 F (-1 C) to 50 F (10 C).  At the low end of the range I wore mid weight wool socks and down booties, a lightweight wool baselayer long sleeve top and bottoms and a knit hat.  At the high end I wore the same socks, a short sleeve top and boxer briefs.
      Every time I use the Liner I am impressed with its warmth, comfort and ease of use.  I have slept with my arms inside the sleeping bag but outside of the Liner.  I can feel quite a difference of warmth when bringing my arms inside the Liner.  But without ever feeling moist or clammy.  When sleeping in short sleeves and boxers it's a luxurious experience with silk against my skin.  Every step from taking the Liner out of its stuff sack to sliding into my sleeping bag to stuff sack again is a snap.
      The Liner mates nicely with my sleeping bag.  My movements (I roll regularly while sleeping) are never restricted by the Liner.  One trouble though, with all the rolling the Liner sometimes slides down.  My shoulders pop out and I have to search for and pull the Liner back up.  During these nights I dream of sewing in a draw cord.

       SUMMARY The Sea to Summit Silk Liner gives my sleeping system a greater temperature range.  While at the same time helping to keep the inside of my sleeping bag clean.  Any oils, sweat or grime make contact with the Liner and not my sleeping bag.  This will hopefully minimize the number of times I wash my bag and extend its life.  I have yet to wash the Liner.  There are no visible signs of dirt or any detectable odors thus far.  The only sign of wear is "pulling" in the weave of the fibers.  They are not holes but more like snags.  The wear is very hard to see.  It is only noticeable when holding one sheet of the Liner to the light at certain angles.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>Before buying the Liner I read about silks thermal properties.  At the time of purchase I was still skeptical, it seemed too thin and light.  The Sea to Summit Silk Liner has removed any doubts.  I have been pleased with the Liner since the first night
      of use.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">> POSITIVES -Additional warmth-Lightweight-Comfortable-Packs small-Keeps sleeping bag clean NEGATIVES -Delicate-No drawcord   This report was created with the BGT Report Generator.Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2012
        Hi Mike,

        Thanks for the OR in answer to the call. Your edits are below. Once made you may place the corrected review at:

        Reviews > Sleep Gear > Summer Bags and Liners > Sea to Summit Premium Silk Liner

        Ray

        ***SEA TO SUMMIT SILK LINER

        EDIT: I see the name as 100% Premium Silk Liner

        ***Sea to Summit says to Liner can provide an additional 10 F (6 C) of insulation.

        EDIT: says "the" Liner
        EDIT: actually they say "of warmth" not insulation.

        ***At the low end of the range I wore mid weight wool socks

        EDIT: mid-weight

        *** During these nights I dream of sewing in a draw cord.

        Comment: ha, I hear you