OR - Teva Forge Pro Winter WP Boots - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2012
      Dear Editors,

      It looks like Richard and Ray are cleaning up the test queue within minutes!
      I challenge another editor to get this one first! <g> I promise it won't be
      TOO bad of a chore (fingers crossed)

      Text below, HTML at http://tinyurl.com/6lhemgq

      Kathy

      TEVA FORGE PRO WINTER MID WP BOOTS
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      April 12, 2012
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 61
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Decker Outdoors Corporation

      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.teva.com
      MSRP: US $160.00
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 26 oz (737 g) - pair
      Sizes Available: 5 - 11 Women's
      Size Reviewed: 8 Women's
      Colors Available: Drizzle (grey)
      Color Reviews: Drizzle

      Other Features:

      * T.I.D.E. GRIP - Hypergrip® Ice LockT rubber sole with fiberglass-infused
      pods
      * T.I.D.E. HYDRO - T.I.D.E. Seal waterproof membrane
      * T.I.D.E. COMFORT - 3M ThinsulateT insulation / A Shoc PadT heel / Mush®
      Infused Insole

      Warranty: The Teva warranty applies to defects in materials and/or
      workmanship for footwear less than one year old from date of purchase. All
      items past one year old from date of purchase will be evaluated on a case by
      case basis.

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      Normally when I think of "drizzle" I think of depressing, damp, dreary,
      weather. For a backpacker that is not a pleasant thought at all, at least
      not until I got my Teva Forge Pro Winter Mid WP boots and found that
      "drizzle" is the name Teva gave these snazzy gray boots. "Drizzle" isn't
      drab anymore!

      The body of the boot which is constructed primarily of a mesh fabric with
      textured leather wrapped around various parts is a dark gray. The leather
      which borders the outsole of the boot, then wraps around the heel and
      anchors the top quick lace hook is a contrasting lighter gray. Looks sort of
      like a "frame" around the heel and lower ankle for the boot's support
      system. Thin light gray accent stripes decorate the mesh fabric in the
      forefoot from outsole to the laces. Two red Teva logos (side and heel) jazz
      up the overall conservative look of the Forge Pro boots

      A traditional lacing system employs a red-accented gray flat lace which
      winds its way up the front of the boot. Similar to many of my boots, the
      Forge Pro has a top "quick-lace" hook and also a loop on the gusseted tongue
      of the boot for the lace to thread through for added stability. The loops
      for the laces are of a sturdy metal construction.

      The Forge Pro outsoles, according to Teva, features Hypergrip® Ice Lock
      technology which is "strategically placed pods that are infused with
      fiberglass". The tread is moderately deep, and is nicely designed with outer
      lugged channels to funnel water and debris outward while center "V's" - the
      fiberglass "pods" - look to provide grip while also pushing snow and water
      outward. The outsole wraps up in the rear a bit and sports a
      just-over-the-toe rand to repel toe stubs.

      Inside my Forge Pro boot is a red suede-like surfaced insole with "Teva -
      Mush infused insole" stamped in gray at the heel. The T.I.D.E. Comfort Mush
      insole is nicely shaped and conforms to my foot with the Shoc Pad
      heel wrapping upwards to cradle and protect my heel from bruising on trail
      obstacles, like sharp rocks and ice chunks.

      Almost 2 inches (5 cm) from the insole, the T.I.D.E. Seal Waterproof
      Membrane lining is visible. This lining continues downward wrapping under
      the footbed of the insole. On the microfiber tongue is a label reminding me
      that these boots also have Thinsulate insulation.

      As a mid-height boot, the Forge Pros measure 4 inches (10 cm) from the
      insole footbed to the back top of the padded collar. A nice touch is the red
      striped webbed pull at the back of the collar to help me with putting on the
      boots.

      Another really unique feature of the Forge Pro as far as construction goes
      is the stretchy, 1.75 inch (4.5 cm) at its widest, gaiter-like piece of
      material that hugs against my heel to form a snug fit at the heel. Working
      like a gaiter, this brilliant (IMHO) little bit of engineering helps to keep
      snow and debris out of my boot. As I said, "brilliant"!

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      Locations and Weather Conditions

      Over the last 8 months, I've put a lot of miles/kilometers on these boots.

      Outside of the state of Colorado, I was able to wear these boots on a
      mid-September trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks in Wyoming
      and a one day snowshoe on Solitude Mountain in Utah. In-state, but out of my
      area, the Teva Forge Pros were worn on a 2-night snowshoe at Rocky Mountain
      National Park at Christmas.

      However, most of my day hikes and short overnights (1-2 nights) were spent
      exploring the Bureau of Land Management wilderness that abuts our northern
      property line. There are thousands of acres/hectares of the Rocky Mountains
      between us and Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs. This land ranges in elevation
      from 5400 ft (1600 km) to 14,000 ft (4300 km) at Pikes Peak. I'd say that
      average elevation for overnights is around 6000 ft (1800 km).

      As would be expected, the rough terrain is often very rocky with lots of
      limestone boulders for climbing on and around and granite slopes to slip on.
      However, I'm almost just as often in very dusty, powdery dirt and there are
      large tracts of broken up shale in exposed areas.

      Vegetation in the mountains is very typical of the high desert of southern
      Colorado - heavy old-growth juniper, pinon pine and cactus, both cholla and
      prickly pear with the odd small barrel cactus thrown in. The valleys between
      the ridges have been especially dry this past year, so the floor is dusty
      and sparsely populated with scrubby grasses.

      And speaking of dry, which about sums up the weather conditions these boots
      have seen - lots of dust, and no moisture other than lots of snow on
      snowshoe hikes. Looking over my notes, not once did I encounter rain.

      Performance
      I love footwear and usually I can tell almost immediately if a pair of boots
      is going to be comfortable or not. I like a boot with support around the
      ankles and a moderately stiff arch, yet I want it to feel like a slipper. I
      don't want much, eh? Well, the Teva Forge Pro boots give me all that I want
      and more!

      As with all my other Teva footwear, the women's size 8 fits me perfectly. I
      have enough room in the toebox so my toes aren't scrunched but not so much
      as to be able to wiggle them more than just slightly. I do not have a wide
      foot, so if I am going to have a "fit" problem, I generally have too much
      room rather than not enough. That is not a problem with the Forge Pros as
      the body of the boot fits snugly but not constrictively once laced up.

      With the laces loosened just a bit, the gusseted tongue allows me to,
      without any effort, slide my foot into the boot. Using the pull-loop on the
      back heel, I do have to stretch back the heel gaiter so it doesn't fold
      under but it's not so tight as to pinch my finger between my foot and the
      back of the boot.

      The interior of the Forge Pro is very smooth with nothing to rub me the
      wrong way. Only once did I suffer a blister and I'm pretty sure that was my
      fault. I wanted the warmth, waterproofing and light weight of the Forge Pros
      on the Tubbs' Romp to Stomp Out Breast Cancer Snowshoe Race, but couldn't
      lace the mid-height boots as tightly as I usually do when backpacking and
      still "race". So, my heel had too much movement, hence the blister. At no
      other time did I suffer even a "hot spot".

      With my left arch, I noticed the usual (for me) slightly-off support -
      apparently, my feet are not symmetrical and the left arch is slightly
      forward. I tried my favorite after-market insole, but found it to be less
      comfortable than the Forge Pro's stock insole with their. Shoc PadT heel and
      Mush® infusion design.

      The boot insole/outsole combination feels solid and stiff - just the way I
      like it. This is particularly welcome when I am toting a 25+ lb (11+ kg)
      backpack. In the winter, on the trail, snow and ice become quite hard and
      I've found with lesser boots, my feet get quite sore from the pounding they
      take - just as much as when I'm on rocky mountain trails. With the Forge
      Pros, my arches have been protected from that pounding. Oh, I've always worn
      heavyweight wool or bamboo-blend socks with the Forge Pros, usually
      accompanied by a pair of toe-sock liners.

      At first glance, the predominately mesh material in the boots uppers didn't
      instill a lot of confidence as to the "winter" part of their style name.
      However, the first time I wore them in a lot of snow, snowshoeing in Rocky
      Mountain National Park in December, I found the waterproofing and insulation
      capabilities of the boot to be superb! On an anniversary hike (42 years and
      counting.), we encountered temperatures below freezing, almost constant wind
      gusts in excess of 50 mph (80 kph) and lots of snow. The Trail Ridge Road
      over the Continental Divide was closed, so we snowshoed it uphill for 5
      miles (8 km) before being forced back by the increasing cold and wind. On
      that first day-hike out of a base camp, I was very grateful for the warmth
      of the Thinsulate in the boots and the fact that despite being constantly
      submerged in the white fluffy stuff, the boots never wet through.

      Another big plus in the snow is the Forge Pro's heel gaiter. This stretchy
      bit of fabric just hugs my foot perfectly and keeps out the usual debris,
      but is particularly welcome in the snow where it keeps out the cold. When
      snowshoeing, especially with a backpack of any weight, my snowshoes kick up
      snow which typically ends up hitting the back of my pants and then sliding
      down my leg into my boots. Not so with these babies! Snow simply doesn't
      stand a chance of sneaking in and making my feet turn to icicles. Nice!

      Teva's Hypergrip® Ice LockT in the rubber sole with the "fiberglass-infused
      pods" grabbed really well on snow and packed snow. I was very confident
      tramping down the trail with the boots under those conditions. In my
      backyard playground of the Cooper Mountains, I never fell - well, not
      because of Forge Pro's traction deficiencies - on snow-covered dirt or
      scree. I did have some near-spills while wearing a full pack on bare ice and
      thinly-covered granite when I was moving fast and not carefully planting my
      feet. At first, I think I was mostly overly optimistic and trusting about
      the Forge Pro's grip and was being careless forgetting my out-of-balance
      center of gravity. I quickly got the hang of being a bit more conservative
      about my foot placement which is not a bad thing really. I just needed to
      pay more attention.

      And my clumsiness on the trail hasn't led to any real adverse wear on the
      mesh or the leather uppers of the Forge Pros. While a good deal of the time
      was spent in snow, they are a little dirtier than when they were brand new.
      I've found a vigorous brushing loosened any of the sticky mud we often tromp
      through and after easily 100+ miles (160 km), the Forge Pros still look
      great and show no real wear on the soles.

      STARRING ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Kept me warm in the coldest temperatures I ventured out in!
      2.) My feet stayed completely dry thanks to the heel "gaiter" and the
      T.I.D.E Seal waterproofing.
      3.) Very light weight, especially for a winter boot which made for less leg
      fatigue.
      4.) Great traction on packed snow.

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) A tiny bit disappointed with how the traction handles bare ice.
      2.) Once - just once - I rubbed my left heel raw during a snowshoe race.

      SUMMARY

      If I didn't have my Teva Sky Lake boots waiting patiently in my gear closet
      for spring, I would be tempted to wear the Forge Pro Winter boots year
      round. They are that comfortable. While the Forge Pros have kept me warm in
      the bitter cold and snow during snowshoe treks, they have also never caused
      my feet to sweat; so I suspect they would handle the heat just fine. I
      especially love the collar construction with the stretchy "gaiter" which in
      winter has kept out the snow and any other trail debris. The arch support is
      stellar - I didn't even keep in my after-market insoles after I tested once
      with them and my usual backpack loads didn't cause any foot pain at all.
      While traction on ice wasn't the best - I never fell down, just did some
      clumsy dancing - traction on packed snow was good. And, wearing the Forge
      Pro with my new racing snowshoes was like wearing a pair of trail runners -
      almost no weight at all.

      Warm, dry feet in winter's worst weather? I couldn't ask for more than the
      Teva Forge Pro Winter Mid WP Boots!

      Thank you Teva for producing what is now my favorite winter boot. I do
      heartily recommend the Forge Pro Winter Mid WP Boots!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
    • richardglyon@att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2012
        Kathy, you just think Ray and I are too tough.

        Richard

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" <kathy@...> wrote:

        > Dear Editors,
        >
        > It looks like Richard and Ray are cleaning up the test queue within minutes!
        > I challenge another editor to get this one first! <g> I promise it won't be
        > TOO bad of a chore (fingers crossed)
        >
        > Text below, HTML at http://tinyurl.com/6lhemgq
        >
        > Kathy

      • Kathy Waters