OR - Old rag Mountain Quilt - Ed Morse

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2012
      OR - OLD RAG MOUNTAIN QUILT - Ed Morse

      I need more practice so here is another OR to add to the list.
      The HTML may be found at: http://tinyurl.com/7amdk5d

      OLD RAG MOUNTAIN QUILT
      BY EDWIN MORSE
      OR
      April 10, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Edwin Morse
      EMAIL: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      AGE: 74
      LOCATION: Grawn, Michigan USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan along the Lake Superior shore. My gear was cheap, heavy and sometimes painful. My starting pack weight was 70 lb (32 kg) with food but no water. Since then I have made one and two week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. A few years ago I did a 2-week hike on Isle Royale, Michigan, western Lake Superior. Starting pack weight was 32 lbs (14.5 kg), including 10 days of food and 3 qt (2.8 l) of water. I'm slowly learning what lighter gear works.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Jacks R Better
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.jacksrbetter.com/">>
      MSRP: US$ 299.95
      Listed Weight: 25 oz (709 g)
      Measured Weight: 26.2 oz (743 g), includes full length Omnitape

      Other details:
      Listed Dimensions: 78 in (198 cm) by 48 in (122 cm)
      Measured Dimensions: 78 in (198 cm) by 48 in (122 cm)
      Listed Loft: 3.5 in ( 8.9
      Listed Temperature Rating: 5 F to 10 F (-15 C to -12 C)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Old Rag Mtn is a continuous baffled 48 in by 78 in (122 cm by 198 cm) rectangular quilt with down insulation. There is a draw string with cord locks at both head and foot end. There is a fabric loop at each of the four corners. The picture below both a corner loop and a cord lock on the draw string. The orange stuff sack is just for color contrast.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "loop and cord lock at corner" IMAGE CAPTION = "corner loop and cord lock">>

      There is a fabric loop on the left side (if I'm lying on my back) 25 in (64 cm) up from the bottom.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "loop on left side" IMAGE CAPTION = "left side loop">>
      Also on the left side and 18 in down from the top is a flat string that extends 8 in (20 cm) out from the edge of the quilt. On the right side, 24 in (61 cm) down from the top is another fabric loop. The next picture shows both the fabric loop on the right and the flat string on the left side.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "string on left and fabric loop on right" IMAGE CAPTION = "string and loop">>

      I ordered the quilt with their Omni tape already applied. This hook and loop type tape is along the bottom of the quilt on both sides. It also extends six inches (15 cm) in from the corner along the foot end of the quilt. As shown in the pictures, the top of the quilt is bright green and the bottom is black.

      I always hang the quilt up to air out when I return from a hike. The continuous baffles can be seen in the next picture. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "hanging to dry after hike" IMAGE CAPTION = "hanging to dry">>

      FIELD USE

      My first real use of the quilt was a week-long 70 mile (113 km) hike on the High Country Pathway in northeast Lower Michigan in late July 2008. Here is a picture from the fourth day of the hike. The quilt is just visible in the tent. This was a warm weather hike with nights seldom below 65 F (18 C) and days generally getting above 80 F (27 C).
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "camp off trail" IMAGE CAPTION = "off the High Country Pathway">>

      I did several two and three day hikes the remainder of 2008. In February 2009 I hiked about 70 miles (113 km) through the Ocala National Forest on the Florida Trail. Here is a picture in the evening of the second day.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hidden Pond area" IMAGE CAPTION = "Florida Trail Ocala National Forest">>
      Early the next morning the temperature dropped down to 22 F (-6 C). I checked the temperature while still lying in the hammock and was surprised at how cold it was since I was warm and comfortable. I could not find my notes but I do remember the low temperature was 22 F (-6 C) early the third morning and 88 F (31 C) the last afternoon I was hiking. The second day of hiking it rained so hard my camera got wet and died.

      In April 2009 I did several overnight hikes preparing for a longer hike.

      In May 2009 I joined three other hikers for part of the Superior Hiking Trail starting at Judge Magney State Park in Minnesota. Here is a picture of one of my tents with the quilt visible inside.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "night before the hike start" IMAGE CAPTION = "Judge Magney State Park">>
      Here is another picture later at night from inside the tent.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "a few hours later at night" IMAGE CAPTION = "inside and in use">>
      We hiked northerly five days to where we had left more food near the intersection of the Border Route Trail. I switched to a different tent at that time. Here is a picture of the second tent with the quilt just visible.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "ready for the night" IMAGE CAPTION = "on the Border Route Trail">>
      I hang the quilt to dry whenever I can. The quilt is just visible above my tent in this next picture.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "quilt hung to air behind tent" IMAGE CAPTION = "airing out">>
      We hiked generally westerly on the Border Route Trail to the intersection with the Kekekabic Trail. Another hiker joined us at Gunflint Lodge to hike the Kekekabic Trail. The weather on this 15-day hike varied from hard blown snow and 25 F to a nice sunny 75 F. Both the Border Route Trail and the Kekekabic Trail were often flooded and we frequently had to climb over, around, through or under fallen trees.

      In June of 2009 I went with a group from the Grand Traverse Hiking Club for four days hiking on South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan.

      In September 2009 a friend and I started what was planned to be a week hike along the Lake Michigan shoreline. We started in the Lake Michigan Recreation Area and hiked northerly mostly on the beach. Half way through the third day I started having leg and hip pains which only got worse. We caught a ride to a campground in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. I hiked into the village of Honor the next day and called my wife to come and take me home.

      The next outing was an overnight hike May 2010 in the Manistee National Forest in Michigan. The weather was clear and cool. The temperature varied from the high of 56 F (13 C) when I started hiking down to 34 F (1 C) early in the morning. This 21 mi (34 km) hike is a popular loop combining the Manistee River Trail and a 10 mile (16 km) section of the North Country Trail.

      I did a short overnight hike early June 2010 in the Manistee National Forest. This was a planned trail work day for a local chapter of the North Country Trail Association (NCTA). I started hiking, mostly bushwhacking after everyone else left the area. The rain started just as I finished hanging the hammock tarp. The high temperature was 66 F (19 C) under cloudy skies with a low in the morning rain of 54 F (12 C). I could stay dry cooking and eating under the tarp.

      I did another overnight hike after a trail work day a week later, again in the Manistee National Forest. The planned work was completed early so I still hiked over 10 miles (16 km) each day. The weather stayed clear with a high of 78 F (26 C) and a low of 44 F (7 C).

      I did a three-day hike mid July 2010 in the Manistee National Forest. The weather varied from a sunny high of 85 F (29 C) the first afternoon to a hard rain and 55 F (13 C) by the time I reached the Jeep the last morning.

      My next backpacking was three-day group hike in Wisconsin early August 2010 the as part of the North Country Trail Association (NCTA) annual meeting. The weather varied from a cool 60 F (16 C) and light rain to warm and sunny 85 F (29 C).

      I did a three-day hike May 2011. The sunny day changed to heavy clouds after a high of 85 F (29 C) in late afternoon. I just got my gear put way for the night when a light rain started that lasted most of the night.
      The next day (May 22, 2011) after a low of 54 F (12 C) I hiked on to camp at Sand Lakes for the night with 14.5 miles (23.4 km) for the second day. The temperature reached a high of 85 F (29 C) again. I had all gear put away and was watching the lightening get closer after sunset. Before the lightening got close the hard rain storm got to my area. I got myself inside. Not much I could do but zip the door shut and read a book - and hope the lightening hit elsewhere.

      USEAGE, THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS

      The Old Rag Mtn quilt is really too warm for much of the hiking I do. When I purchased the quilt Jacks R Better did not provide a temperature rating, just the loft. I've used a variety of different pads for comfort and warmth, including automobile windshield reflectors in the hammock. I always include a sleeping bag liner with my sleeping gear. My practice is to shake out the quilt as soon as the tent is up. Once the pad, mattress or whatever is ready I spread the quilt so it will loft as much as it can.

      When the weather is warm I often push the quilt aside so it covers my feet with just the silk liner over the rest of me. When it gets cold I tighten the bottom cord and form a snug footbox using the Omnitape to hold it shut at the bottom. As it gets colder I will add long johns, a wool or fleece shirt and a knit hat or hood. Then when cold and windy I pull the sides of the quilt under my body and tighten to top cord.

      I learned the good and bad about continuous baffles the first cold night I was out. Somehow most of the down had shifted to the sides of the quilt. When I started to get really cold I had to find out why. When I had aired the quilt after the previous hike I had hung it lengthwise on the line so the down just fell down. After some experimenting I found I could shake the down and make it thick or thin where ever I wanted.

      My feet get cold very easily even at home. It still seems odd that the few cold nights in Florida I was very comfortable. The first three mornings we hiked in Minnesota I complained about cold feet. One of the other hikers said he had a pair of wool socks I could use nights if I would carry them the rest of the hike. I was quick to agree. Thick, soft and heavy wool socks are great for sleeping. No more cold feet at night on that hike. Since that hike I've always carried either heavy wool socks or down booties for cold nights.

      When hiking my down quilt is packed in a nearly waterproof stuff sack. Then it goes inside a heavy duty trash bag in the bottom of my pack. Anything else that must stay dry also goes in the trash bag. When the rain starts I add a sylnylon pack cover. I have never had my sleeping gear and extra clothes get wet. Even the 24 hour rain in Florida that killed my camera and made my GPS sick for several hours did not get my quilt wet.

      What I Like:

      Basically a simple design which leads to;
      adaptability and flexibility.
      By using clothes that I carry anyway I can adjust to much colder temperatures than I like.
      The light weight.

      What I Don't Like:

      I miss the pillow pocket of the last sleeping bag I sold. I'm still working on a solution.
      Sometimes I get a cold breeze when I roll over.
      The simple design requires thinking to find the most acceptable solution for each problem.
      I really have to dig to find something not to like.

      SIGNATURE

      Edwin (Ed) Morse

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2012