OR – Kershaw Ken Onion Chive – Thaddeus Taraskiewicz

  • thrash_lord
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2012
      Kershaw
      Owner review by: Thaddeus Taraskiewicz
      March 22 2012

      Tester Information:
      Name: Thaddeus Taraskiewicz
      Age: 37
      Height: 6' 1"
      Weight: 170
      Email: thrash_lord@...
      City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona, United States.
      Backpacking Background:
      Growing up with a mother who has been part of the ATC, trail upkeep and hiking are family activities. From Acadia to the Great Smokies to Glacier, hiking National Parks growing up gave me the desire to conquer Arizona one range at a time.
      Product Information and Specifications:
      Manufacturer: Kershaw knives
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      Manufacturer's website: http://kershawknives.com/products.php?brand=kershaw
      MSRP: $109.95
      Listed weight: 1.9 oz.
      Measured weight: 1.88 oz.
      Color: Black
      Available Colors: Stainless steel, polished stainless steel, pink, rainbow, Black.

      CHIVE – 1600BLK
      Steel: 420HC, polished DLC coating

      Handle: 410 stainless steel, DLC coating

      Blade Length: 1 15/16 in. (4.9 cm)

      Closed Length: 2 7/8 in. (7.3 cm)

      Overall Length: 3 13/16 in. (9.9 cm)

      Weight: 1.9 oz.

      Product Description:
      The Kershaw chive Series features the SpeedSafe registered opening system set up for ambidextrous operation. This is a Kershaw specialty that flips the blade open with a spring and a section of the rotating section of the knife, just below the blade. This provides a fast smooth operation that reliably fully opens the blade to the lock position.
      It also features the Safety Tip Lock to prevent accidental opening. This is sliding stop with a tension adjustment screw. A pocket clip that can be removed also is standard. It is manufactured from 420HC stainless steel, which is a harder version of 420 knife steel.
      Aesthetically, the knife is all curves like a typical Ken Onion design. Reminiscent of an old Ferrari 288 GTO, it unfortunately doesn't come in racing red. It does, however, come in stainless steel, a polished stainless, a glossy black (tested) and a rainbow, which has a titanium oxide coating that reflects a rainbow hue.
      Field Condition:

      Performance: The knife when open feels very solid for a folding knife. The opening system is fast and consistent, without a single misfire in all the years since purchase. The tip locking mechanism allows for one handed operation, from a right handed hold the pinkie can be used to engage and disengage the lock, with the index finger ready to operate the opening system. The compact size and curve of the blade allow it to very precise, whether fitting into a tight space or scraping a very irregular three dimensional surface.
      Standard knife needs, like cutting meat, cheese, vegetables and tortillas are performed well. The recessed curve of the blade near the hilt is especially good at keeping sharp for these tasks when the front gets dull from rope and wood cutting.
        Hello Thad,

        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in BackpackGearTest.org. Unfortunately as it stands your review is not acceptable. Has the knife been used for backpacking? (There is no field information of any kind.)

        A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process (and I do suggest it) you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

        Ray
      • thrash_lord
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
          This had been modified with the omitted information. Is this the correct procedure?

[...]

          Field Condition: This knife has been with me on numerous excursions. The first I will detail was a hike into secret canyon near Sedona, AZ in 2009. A simple overnight hike and camp up the Secret canyon trail, the usage during this trip was mostly to open packaged food and to slice it up. The second Camping usage was during the same trip at fossil creek. In this trip the knife was employed more in food preparation and consumption (ribeyes!). The third time I'll list was in camping expedition into the Arivaipa Wilderness, where besides food consumption, the knife was used to help modify the straps on my well worn archaic backpack.

          Performance: The knife when open feels very solid for a folding knife. The opening system is fast and consistent, without a single misfire in all the years since purchase. The tip locking mechanism allows for one handed operation, from a right handed hold the pinkie can be used to engage and disengage the lock, with the index finger ready to operate the opening system. The compact size and curve of the blade allow it to very precise, whether fitting into a tight space or scraping a very irregular three dimensional surface.
          Standard knife needs, like cutting meat, cheese, vegetables and tortillas are performed well. The recessed curve of the blade near the hilt is especially good at keeping sharp for these tasks when the front gets dull from rope and wood cutting.
          Pros: This knife is very compact and reliable. Its ergonomics lend to slightly different, yet comfortable feel. The operation of the opening system has been flawless every time for over half a decade and running. The quality of construction in the hinges and blade clasp has been great, their operation is still tight and clean.
          Cons: This knife is not made out of the hardest steel and wear will be noticeable without extensive use. This will call attention to the highly curved blade on such a small knife; this is a difficult blade for a novice to sharpen evenly. With prolonged use, the glossy black finish will show scratches easily due to its high sheen. Care must be taken to buff scratches quickly in order to maintain appearance.
          In general this knife design is one that I have loved a lot, my only complaint is in the hardness of the knife steel, but in a knife this small the price can't be much greater for the general market.

          > Hello Thad,
          >
          > Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in BackpackGearTest.org. Unfortunately as it stands your review is not acceptable. Has the knife been used for backpacking? (There is no field information of any kind.)
          >
          > A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process (and I do suggest it) you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...
          >
          > Ray

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
            Yes this is workable. Please repost it with this in the subject line:

            Revised - OR Kershaw Ken Onion Chive - Thad

            his will let Jamie pick it up and add it to the queue.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2012
              Hi Thaddeus,

              It looks like Ray got a message to you about the missing info before I did (please disregard the message I sent a few minutes ago about this very thing). Thank you for revising your OR and adding the Field Use section. There is one thing regarding field use still missing, however. ORs will NOT be accepted into the Owner Review Edit Queue if they do not clearly state the number of days/nights you have used the item. Given the nature of an Owner Review and the possible amount of years you could have owned the item we understand it may not be possible for you to recall the exact number of uses so an estimate is fine.

              Procedurally, it works like this. If you need to change something in your report before an Editor picks it up and give you an official edit, then when you post the improved version (as you have) you place REVISED in the subject line, like this - REVISED: OR - Company & Product – Your Name. This way the edit team knows to edit from the more current version of your OR.

              After your OR has been taken and edited by an editor AND you have made all the requested corrections, please use this format in the subject line…
              REPOST: OR - Company & Product – Your Name

              Hope that makes sense. If not just ask.
              Cordially,
              Mrs. Jamie DeBenedetto
              Editors Team Director
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
                RICHARD - Thaddeus Taraskiewicz(1) - Kershaw Chive Knife - Posted April 10
                (msg#81184), On hold pending use clarification and additional info as of Apr
                14, Reposted May 3 (msg#81317), Revised May 14 (msg#81352), Taken May 18, Edit May 18 (81370)

                Hi Thad,

                I hope we didn't scare you off. Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard back on 18 May. Please refer to message number 81370 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/messages

                Editors Team Director