Repost- OR - Titanium Goat 750 Ti-Tri Caldera System - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012
      Repost- OR - Titanium Goat 750 Ti-Tri Caldera System - Ed Morse

      Ray, Thanks for the quick editing. I wish I could write the reports that
      fast.

      The latest revised HTML may be found in the TEST folder at:
      <http://tinyurl.com/7445f8f> http://tinyurl.com/7445f8f

      Titanium Goat 750 Ti-Tri Caldera System
      BY EDWIN MORSE
      OR
      April 07, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Edwin Morse
      EMAIL: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      AGE: 74
      LOCATION: Grawn, Michigan USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan along the
      Lake Superior shore. My gear was cheap, heavy and sometimes painful. My
      starting pack weight was 70 lb (32 kg) with food but no water. Since then I
      have made one and two week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and
      Pennsylvania. Three years ago I did a 2-week hike on Isle Royale, Michigan,
      western Lake Superior. Starting pack weight was 32 lbs (14.5 kg), including
      10 days of food and 3 qt (2.8 l) of water. I am slowly learning what lighter
      gear works for me.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Titanium Goat
      "http://www.titaniumgoat.com/index.html">>
      MSRP: US$107.00 including the 750 ml (25 oz) pot
      Listed Weight: from Titanium Goat website
      Pot Size in ml
      750 (25 oz)
      Pot with Lid: 3.8 oz (108 g)
      Caldera Cone: 1.5 oz (42.5 g)
      Alcohol Stove: 0.6 oz (17 g)
      Fuel Bottle: 1.0 oz (28.3 g)
      Esbit setup: 0.2 oz (5.6 g)
      Ti Stakes for Wood: 0.6 oz (17 g)
      Bag and Caddy: 3.3 oz (94 g)
      Total Weight: 11 oz (312 g)

      This system was manufactured by Trail Designs for Titanium Goat.

      I looked first at the Trail Designs website but they didn't sell the
      woodburning system at that time. They did provide a link to the Titanium
      Goat site.
      Caldera Trail Designs now sells three wood-burning systems; the Classic
      Ti-Tri (which I purchased from Titanium Goat), the Sidewinder Ti-Tri and the
      Ti-Tri ULC.

      Measured Weight of my system:
      Caldera TI cone 1.5 oz (43 g)
      TI wood fuel base 0.5 oz (14 g)
      Stakes for pot support 0.5 oz (14 g)
      750 ml pot 3.2 oz (91 g)
      Pot cover 0.5 oz (14 g)
      Alcohol burner 0.5 oz (14 g)
      Alcohol bottle 0.6 oz (17 g)
      1 oz cup
      TI Esbit burner 0.2 oz (6 g)
      Plastic system pack 3.1 oz (88 g)
      ______________________________
      Ti-Tri 750 system total 10.6 oz (301 g)

      Other details: The kettle, cover, cone, Gram Cracker Esbit burner and wood
      fuel base are titanium,
      alcohol 12-10 stove is aluminum, the fuel bottle and Caldera Caddy are
      plastic.

      Product Description

      The Caldera Ti-Tri is a complete cooking system with three-fuel capability.
      The cone, floor and all stove components fit inside the Caldera Caddy which
      just fits inside the kettle. The titanium cone and base permit the use of
      wood for fuel. The folds of the cone easily slip together with the smaller
      and slightly pointed fold sliding inside the larger fold. When using
      denatured alcohol or solid fuel tablets the roll top of the pot rests on the
      top of the cone.

      The 750 ml (25 oz) pot I ordered with the system is 4.25 in (10.8 cm) high
      and 3.75 in (9.5 cm) wide. I purchased the Ti-Tri system from Titanium Goat
      with their 750 ml pot.
      The base, or floor is a round piece of titanium 7.125 in (18.4 cm) in
      diameter.
      The titanium cone, when flat or not assembled, is a curved piece of titanium
      metal 7.25 in (10.8 cm) wide and, as near as I can measure, 10 in (25 cm)
      along the curved top and 20 in (51 cm) along the curved bottom. There is a
      dovetail fold at each end. When aligned the smaller dovetail easily slides
      into the larger fold forming a strong joint. It is now assembled into a
      truncated cone with a base of 6.5 in (16.5 cm) and a top that just fits the
      3.75 in (9.5 cm) diameter pot. When the cone is assembled there is a notch
      at the top which allows my pot handle to stick out when using alcohol or
      solid fuel tablets.

      The Ti-Tri came with two titanium stakes. These are used as pot supports
      when using wood as fuel. In my experience it is not a stable setup,or maybe
      I was a little clumsy. I eventually found that the notch in the top of the
      cone is used to feed in more sticks when burning wood.

      FIELD USE

      I ordered the Caldera Ti-Tri system with the 750 ml kettle which is included
      in the MSRP on the Titanium Goat site. I received the system in mid November
      of 2009.

      I first used the Ti-Tri car camping Ocala National Forest in Florida late
      November and early December 2009. I was checking campsites and possible
      resupply for later backpacking. The weather was very pleasant with a low of
      53 F (12 C) the second morning and a high of 74 F (23 C) with clear sky. I
      just used alcohol (actually Heet in the yellow bottle) for fuel this trip.

      I practiced using the system with alcohol and Esbit in our covered deck at
      home several times in December and January.

      My first backpacking with the system was a week-long hike in the Ocala
      National Forest in Florida. I could not find my notes but I do remember the
      low temperature was 22 F (-6 C) early the third morning and 88 F (31 C) the
      last afternoon I was hiking. The second day of hiking it rained so hard my
      camera got wet and died.

      The next outing was an overnight hike May 2010 in the Manistee National
      Forest in Michigan. I just carried the alcohol setup with four ounces (113
      g) of fuel. The weather was clear and cool. The temperature varied from the
      high of 56 F (13 C) when I started hiking down to 34 F (1 C) early in the
      morning. This 21 mi (34 km) hike is a popular loop combining the Manistee
      River Trail and a 10 mile (16 km) section of the North Country Trail. Below
      is a picture from my first spring hike of 2010. My Ti-Tri was still shiny
      and new looking at that time.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "early dinner in the forest" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "5-14-10 early dinner in Manistee National Forest">>

      I did a short overnight hike early June 2010 in the Manistee National
      Forest. This was a planned trail work day for a local chapter of the North
      Country Trail Association (NCTA). I started hiking, mostly bushwhacking
      after everyone else left the area. The rain started just as I finished
      hanging the hammock tarp. I used the Ti-Tri with alcohol under my hammock
      tarp to keep the rain off. The high temperature was 66 F (19 C) under cloudy
      skies with a low in the morning rain of 54 F (12 C). I could stay dry
      cooking and eating under the tarp until I went out to set up the camera and
      take pictures.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "breakfast in the rain" IMAGE CAPTION = "Hot
      coffee and hot oatmeal">>

      I did another overnight hike after a trail work day a week later, again in
      the Manistee National Forest. The planned work was completed early so I
      still hiked over 10 miles (16 km) each day. The weather stayed clear with a
      high of 78 F (26 C) and a low of 44 F (7 C).

      I did a three-day hike mid July 2010 in the Manistee National Forest. I used
      wood fire in the Ti-Tri both nights and alcohol for morning coffee and
      oatmeal. I learned that the wood burning configuration can be a little
      unstable. The weather varied from a sunny high of 85 F (29 C) the first
      afternoon to a hard rain and 55 F (13 C) by the time I reached the Jeep the
      last morning.

      My next backpacking was three-day group hike in Wisconsin early August 2010
      the as part of the North Country Trail Association (NCTA) annual meeting.
      The weather varied from a cool 60 F (16 C) and light rain to warm and sunny
      85 F (29 C). The eight ounces (227 g) of alcohol I carried was more than
      enough for hot coffee each morning and hot soup each night.

      I did a three-day hike May 2011. The sunny day changed to heavy clouds after
      a high of 85 F (29 C) in late afternoon. I just got my gear put way for the
      night when a light rain started that lasted most of the night.
      The next day (May 22, 2011) after a low of 54 F (12 C) I hiked on to camp at
      Sand Lakes for the night with 14.5 miles (23.4 km) for the second day. The
      temperature reached a high of 85 F (29 C) again. I had all gear put away
      and was watching the lightening get closer after sunset. Before the
      lightening got close the hard rain storm got to my area. I got myself
      inside. Not much I could do but zip the door shut and read a book - and hope
      the lightening hit elsewhere. I had hung up a small tarp so I had a dry
      place to eat and pack. The next picture was taken the next morning. The tent
      is hung to dry while I ate and packed.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "breakfast while packing" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "after the storm at Sand Lakes">>

      I know I left out at least a few overnight and multi-day hikes. Those listed
      are the ones I could find notes with at least some details.

      USEAGE, THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS

      When I used the Ti-Tri system on the first hike I carried the alcohol bottle
      in an outside pack pocket. I packed my cup, bowl, spoon, lighter and towel
      in a Ziploc bag. The only thing inside the Caddy was the cone, base, alcohol
      12-10 stove and the Gram Cracker Esbit burner.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "all the parts I carry" IMAGE CAPTION = "My
      Ti-Tri system">>
      Everything on the pad in the above picture is packed in the Caddy which is
      then put in the pot. Missing are the stakes, lighter and my spoon. In the
      picture below it is all together and ready to go in the pack.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "ready for the next hike" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "packed to carry">>

      Now I pack one or both stoves, cone, base, alcohol bottle, lighter and spoon
      inside the Caddy with a bandanna I also use for a towel. I often use the
      Caddy for both cup and bowl. The bandanna, or a towel, is packed in to keep
      things from rattling.

      As an alcohol or Esbit burner the Ti-Tri system works very well. I've used a
      variety of alcohol stoves over the years. There is always the problem of
      protecting the alcohol flame from any wind. A second problem is getting the
      pot just the right height above the stove for maximum efficiency. The
      Caldera Cone has solved both problems. The system is pot specific because
      each cone is designed to hold the pot at the optimum height above the flame.
      The cone, designed to work with a specific pot, has solved the height
      problem without the user fussing with pot supports. I've never checked to
      see how long any of my stoves needed to boil water. I'm camping while taking
      a long walk in the forest, not in a rush to meet a schedule. I'm more
      concerned with ease of use and being comfortable with the gear I use. This
      system has been reliable, always heating water sooner than I expect. Once I
      get the alcohol lit it has never gone out until all the fuel was consumed. I
      like the fact that for hikes of four days or less I can pack fuel, stove,
      cup and bowl all in one package. On the other hand, this "one package" is a
      little bulky.

      The Caldera Cone was bright and shiny when I first used the system. The Cone
      slowly turned dark with bright areas of color just from the heat of alcohol
      or solid fuel tabs. Of course when I burned wood as fuel both the inside of
      the Cone and the outside of the pot turned black.

      I think that as a wood-burner it left me with something to be desired. I've
      used two other wood-burning stoves on hikes of a week or more. Both were
      very easy to use and burned the small sticks down to a fine gray ash. When I
      used wood as fuel in the Classic Ti-Tri I had small pieces of sticks that
      were not burned to ash. This does not seem like efficient use of the fuel if
      some is left unburned. The first time I made a wood fire my water was just
      starting to boil when I reached across to pick up more sticks to add to the
      fire. I bumped the pot and it all tipped over, spilling the water and
      putting out the small fire. I had to start all over again, getting dry wood
      and getting more water from the creek. I only seem to learn by making
      mistakes.

      I recently watched the videos on the Trail Designs website. While watching
      the video I noted that they do not recommend packing the alcohol inside the
      Caddy - as I have been doing.

      Alcohol has been my primary fuel with the system. I mostly use denatured
      alcohol since it seems to be the cheapest. On hikes of longer than overnight
      I carry the denatured alcohol in either 8 oz (227 g) or 16 oz (454 g) water
      bottles. I have also found that, if I'm careful with fuel use, the 12 oz
      (340 g) Heet in the yellow bottle will provide enough fuel for a six-day
      hike. These flat bottles are easy to carry in the side pocket of my pack.

      I was disappointed when I used wood as fuel. I hike in the midwest where
      there is always wood available to burn and seldom a fire ban. I went to the
      Trail Designs website (while writing this report) and read about their
      Inferno Insert which supposedly makes wood-burning much more efficient. I
      ordered the Sidewinder Ti-Tri with the Inferno Insert. Soon I will have
      another system to play with, hopefully with true three fuel efficiency.

      THINGS I LIKE

      First I like the light weight. The whole package is a system.
      I don't have to carry or rig up a separate wind screen which is very
      necessary when using alcohol as my fuel.
      When I pull the Caddy out of the pot and open the Caddy everything I need to
      fix my next meal is there.
      I don't have to search through my pack to find all the components needed.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The Ti-Tri system is a little bulky.
      While the system can burn wood in a pinch it is not very efficient.
      I haven't found much else not to like.

      Signature

      Edwin (Ed) Morse

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012
        All right Ed, this looks good. I see just a few items for you. But once you fix those you may go ahead and upload it to:

        Reviews > Cook Gear > Stoves > Titanium Goat 750 Ti-Tri Caldera System

        Thanks,

        Ray

        ***Manufacturer's Website: http://www.titaniumgoat.com/index.html

        EDIT: just, http://www.titaniumgoat.com

        ***Caldera Trail Designs now sells three wood-burning systems; the Classic Ti-Tri (which I purchased from Titanium Goat), the Sidewinder Ti-Tri and the Ti-Tri ULC.

        EDIT: delete "Caldera" as their name is just Trail Designs

        ***The kettle, cover, cone, Gram Cracker Esbit burner and wood fuel base are titanium,

        EDIT: wood-fuel (it needs the hyphen for the way you are using the word)
      • Edwin Morse
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012
          Ray,
          Thanks for all your help. All fixes done and uploaded to the folder you set
          up. HTML deleted from TEST folder.

          Ed

          _____