OR - Teva Sky Lake Mid eVent Women's Boots - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 1:24 PM
      Dear Editors,

      I see that you have nothing to do, so to keep you all busy and out of
      trouble (idle hands and all that), here is an OR to test your editing
      skills. Text - below, HTML - http://tinyurl.com/7cds2cg

      Have at it and Thanks!

      Kathy
      __________________________

      TEVA SKY LAKE MID EVENT WOMEN'S BOOTS
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      April 4, 2012
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 61
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Decker Outdoors Corporation
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.teva.com
      MSRP: US $120.00
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 22 oz (624 g) - pair
      Sizes Available: 6-11 Women's
      Size Reviewed: 8 Women's
      Colors Available: Chocolate Chip
      Color Reviewed: Chocolate Chip

      Features: Teva Innovative Design Elements (T.I.D.E)
      * T.I.D.E. GRIP - Spider365 outsole & Nylon shank
      * T.I.D.E. HYDRO - eVent® waterproof breathable membrane
      * T.I.D.E. COMFORT - Women's specific last/Compression molded EVA
      midsole/Encapsulated Shoc PadT/Mush® Infused Insole
      Picture Courtesy of Teva

      Warranty: "The Teva warranty applies to footwear less than one year old from
      date of purchase. It applies to defective materials and workmanship. All
      items sent to Teva which are past one year old from date of purchase will be
      evaluated on a case by case basis."

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      "Chocolate Chip" is an apt name for the color of my Teva Sky Lake boots! The
      body of the boot which is mostly constructed of a mesh fabric with nubuck
      leather wrapped around various parts is a warm dark brown very reminiscent
      of the chocolate chips in my favorite cookies! The leather borders the
      outsole of the boot, forms semi-circles at the midstep and marks the top two
      lace holes before cupping the heel. Looks sort of like a "frame" for the
      boot's support system. Thin blue accent webbings at the toe and heel as well
      as the lace loops and two small matching blue Teva logos (side and tongue)
      complement the overall good looks of the Sky Lake boots

      Teva Sky Lake Boots at Rest

      A traditional lacing system employs a smooth round lace which winds its way
      up the boot. Unlike many of my boots, it does not have a top "quick-lace"
      hook nor is there a loop on the tongue of the boot for the lace to thread
      through. Just above the midstep of the boot, the holes for the lace are
      positioned a bit farther apart for additional stability and support in the
      midstep.

      According to Teva, the Spider 365 outsole "scores a 3 on a 1 to 5 scale for
      durability" and "a 4 in stickiness". The tread is not very deep, but is
      nicely designed with channels to funnel water and debris outward while
      center "nubs" look to provide grip. The outsole wraps up in the rear a bit
      but does not sport a real toe rand to repel toe "stubs".

      Inside my Sky Lake boot is a black suede-like surfaced insole with "Teva -
      Mush infused insole" stamped in gray at the heel. The T.I.D.E. Comfort
      "Mush" insole is nicely shaped and conforms to my foot with the ShocPad heel
      wrapping upwards to cradle and protect my heel from bruising on trail
      obstacles, like sharp rocks.

      About 1.5 inches (4 cm) from the insole, the T.I.D.E. Hydro eVent lining is
      visible. This lining continues downward wrapping under the footbed of the
      insole.

      As a mid-height boot, the Sky Lakes measure 3.5 inches (9 cm) from the
      insole footbed to the back top of the padded collar. A nice touch is the
      blue webbed "pull" at the back of the collar to help me with putting on the
      boots.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      A Bit of Background First

      Last July after a brutally hot, 32 mile (52 km) round trip backpack, I came
      to the realization I would have to retire my much-worn and beloved, Teva
      Ossagon Mid boots. The soles began to delaminate on the return hike and I
      had to "flap" my way back the last several miles/kilometers.

      Immediately after I unpacked my gear, I contacted Teva Customer Service via
      e-mail with a request for suggestions for repair and/or a referral for a
      repair facility. I knew the Ossagons were way out of warranty (3 years old
      almost). Customer Service suggested "Barge Cement" to re-attach the soles. I
      purchase the glue and was able to patch up the Ossagons.

      I, publicly, thanked Teva for the Barge tip on a social media site and was
      contacted by a Teva rep privately. The rep informed me the Ossagons
      delaminating was a known problem and the Ossagons had been discontinued as a
      result of that problem. Even though my Ossagons were out of warranty, I was
      offered a free replacement pair of my choosing. WOW! Great customer service!
      I chose the Sky Lake Mid eVent Boots.

      On to My Experiences

      Locations and Weather Conditions

      Over the last 8 months, I've put a lot of miles/kilometers on these boots.

      I was able to wear these boots in Utah last August for a couple of day hikes
      (under 3 miles/5 k each) and on a mid-September trip to Yellowstone and
      Grand Teton National Parks in Wyoming as well as a 2-night snowshoe at Rocky
      Mountain National Park at Christmas.

      However, most of my day hikes and short overnights (1-2 nights) were spent
      exploring the Bureau of Land Management wilderness that abuts our northern
      property line. There are thousands of acres/hectares of the Rocky Mountains
      between us and Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs. This land ranges in elevation
      from 5400 ft (1600 km) to 14,000 ft (4300 km) at Pikes Peak. I'd say that
      average elevation for overnights is around 6000 ft (1800 km).

      As would be expected, the rough terrain is often very rocky with lots of
      limestone boulders for climbing on and around and granite slopes to slip on.
      However, I'm almost just as often in very dusty, powdery dirt and there are
      large tracts of broken up shale in exposed areas.

      Vegetation in the mountains is very typical of the high desert of southern
      Colorado - heavy old-growth juniper, pinon pine and cactus, both cholla and
      prickly pear with the odd small barrel cactus thrown in. The valleys between
      the ridges have been especially dry this past year, so the floor is dusty
      and sparsely populated with scrubby grasses.

      And speaking of dry, which about sums up the weather conditions these boots
      have seen - lots of dust, little moisture and that moisture was only in the
      form of snow on a couple of short, early winter snowshoe hikes. Looking over
      my notes, not once did I encounter rain though I did cross a few very small
      streams.

      Performance

      Right out of the box, the Sky Lake boots felt as familiar as my everyday
      trail runners! Since I've worn Teva brand footwear in the past, I knew if
      the Sky Lakes were "true-to-size", a women's 8 would fit me fine; they are
      and they do!

      Built on a women's specific last (design), the toebox of the Sky Lake boot
      is roomy enough without being overly wide and clunky and the boot itself is
      average-to-narrow throughout the entire body. For me this works out great as
      I have a relatively "normal" foot/bone structure. If I had a wider foot, I
      don't think the Sky Lake boots would be as comfortable. As a matter of fact,
      the boots are a bit more difficult for me than most of my other boots (Teva
      brand included) to initially put on. I have to open the laces quite a lot
      and then "wiggle" my feet into the boots. I prefer a snug fit though and
      once on, the Sky Lakes fit and feel great.

      The arch supports, thanks to the "compression molded EVA midsoles" of the
      Sky Lakes, are flexible but supportive enough to keep my feet happy even
      while wearing a backpack up to 32 lb (15 kg). I did try a pair of
      after-market insoles on an overnight in Yellowstone National Park and while
      they were ok, I felt they added too much volume to the Sky Lakes. I use
      these particular insoles with my trail shoes with no problem, but with the
      Sky Lakes, the arch of the insoles felt like they were too far back and I
      was conscious of their presence. And when I'm on the trail, I don't want to
      be aware of my feet! Whatever is in the "Mush infused" insoles of the Tevas
      works just fine for me.

      The Mush insoles along with Teva's "Encapsulated Shoc PadT" in the heel for
      shock absorption, plus my usual mid-to-heavy-weight wool or synthetic socks
      give me sufficient cushioning even when wearing my heaviest pack.

      My heel is cupped firmly but not constricted by the contoured Mush insole.
      When laced properly, there is very little up/down movement of my heel which
      helps to keep friction blisters at bay. And while on the subject of
      blisters, I've never had a one as a result of the Sky Lake boots.

      I've worn the Sky Lake boots in temperatures up to 109 F (43 C) and down to
      31 F (0.6 C). I credit the extensive use of mesh in the uppers of the boots
      with keeping my tootsies cool in the hottest temps. The mesh material
      coupled with the eVent breathable membrane allows any heat to dissipate
      fairly effectively, keeping my feet dry.

      While I've not encountered any rain - Colorado is really suffering from
      drought - I have worn the Sky Lakes in snow and for the short time they were
      submerged in the white stuff, no damp penetrated the eVent to wet my socks.
      I can't really say how extended contact with damp snow would affect the
      boots as during the coldest winter months, I switched to another pair of
      boots.

      Right up there at the top of my wish list for the perfect boots is
      TRACTION! Comfort is absolutely a must in boots along with good support, but
      without traction, a boot is just an outdoor slipper (pun intended!). The
      Teva Spider 365 outsole is a rubber compound purported to provide excellent
      traction on multi-surfaces. On slick surfaces like granite slopes, I found
      the Sky Lakes to give me good grip. I did not think they worked as well on
      scree though as the tread is not that deep so as to "bite" down. I'm not the
      most graceful hiker and I tended to slide on loose gravel if I wasn't
      careful. Still, for such a lightweight boot, the outsoles of the Sky Lake
      did a pretty good job for me.

      Despite the careless treatment I have given these boots, they still don't
      show any adverse signs of wear. I have, on more than one occasion had to
      pull cactus spines out of the mesh uppers and there are no pulls or holes.
      Even the laces have held up to all the prickly "hitchhikers" found in the
      desert terrain.

      My careless tripping over rocks and tree roots - junipers are notorious for
      sprawling across my path and snagging me - hasn't gouged out any bits of the
      nubuck leather. Dirt brushes off easily and I've even given them a quick
      "hosing" to spruce the boots up without detriment. Even the outsoles of the
      Sky Lakes show barely a sign of wear and that's after easily 200 miles (300
      km).

      Last on my list of things to look for in my hiking boots is good looks. I
      consider comfort and function way above fashion. In the case of the Teva Sky
      Lake boots, I get both function and fashion. The dark brown color of the
      mesh fabric is very attractively accented with the blue striping and the
      women-specific design makes my feet look small and almost dainty - well, as
      dainty as boots can be anyway! I like 'em. I really, like 'em!

      STARRING ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Light weight yet supportive even with a 25 lb (11 kg) backpack.
      2.) Keeps my feet dry both from external (rain/snow/river crossings) and
      internal (sweat) moisture.
      3.) Great traction on hard surface granite.

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) Give me a bit, I'll think of something!

      SUMMARY

      Like my late, beloved Teva Ossagon boots, the Teva Sky Lake Mid eVent Boots
      have earned a front and center position in my gear closet. The light weight
      and great cushioning in the soles construction makes them a joy to wear,
      especially in the hot, dry, desert conditions I'm most often found
      backpacking. I've yet to suffer a blister or even a hot spot from these
      boots; they fit superbly without any rubbing of pressure points.

      I've sort of had them on hold for most of the winter months while I
      snowshoed in my Teva Women's Forge Pro Winter Mid boots, but have lots of
      plans for the Sky Lakes starting NOW - it's Spring!

      Thank you, Teva Customer Service for providing me with a worthy successor to
      my Teva Ossagons!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7 7:49 PM

        Editors Team Director