OR- Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated Mug – Katie Montovan

  • sull0294
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2012
      Dear Editor,

      Thank you for looking at my owner review. I have images that I would
      like to include and have already taken/made but am not sure if it is
      possible to include them with this message.

      Now, for the review.

      Owner Review: Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated Mug – Katie Montovan

      March 10, 2012

      Biographical information

      Name: Katie Montovan
      Age: 29
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 4" (1.6 Meters)
      Weight: 150 Pounds (68 Kilograms)
      Email address: sull0294@...
      City, State, Country: Groton, New York, U.S.
      Date: March 10, 2012

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking, climbing, kayak/canoe
      and winter camping for over 10 years. My excursions are mostly weekend
      and occasionally week-long backpacking and kayaking trips in the wooded
      and often wet, rolling terrain of western New York. In general, I strive
      for a compact and light pack but value well-made and durable gear over
      ultra-light weight items. I also spend significant amounts of time day
      hiking and trail running with my dog.

      Product information
      Manufacturer: Klean Kanteen
      Year of manufacture: 2010

      MSRP: $25.95
      Listed weight: 10.2 oz

      Actual weight:
      Size: 16 fl oz (473 ml)

      Dimensions (w/o cap): 7.25" H x 2.9375" W

      Mouth opening: 2.125" (54mm)

      Available sizes: 12 oz, 16 oz, 20 oz

      Available colors: brushed stainless, white, black, blue, purple, coral

      Available cap styles: Stainless Loop cap, Cafe cap, Stainless Wide
      Flip-D ring

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated is a double-wall stainless steel
      thermos. It is made out of 18/8 food-grade stainless steel and is free
      of BPA and other toxins. The lid is lined with stainless steel and is
      also BPA free. I have the 16 oz. (473 ml) brushed stainless version, but
      there are many colors and sizes available. The manufacturer claims that
      the bottle is compatible with many screw-on backcountry water filters
      but I have not yet tried to fill mine directly from my water filter.

      FIELD INFORMATION

      Over the past two years, I have taken my Kleen Kanteen on multiple back
      country camping trips. These included a 2 day winter camping trip to
      summit Big Slide in the Adirondack High peaks (elevation 4199 ft or 1280
      m) where temperatures got down to 0 F (-9 C), and multiple 2 - 5 day
      kayaking trips in weather ranging from rainy and 45 F (7 C) to sunny and
      90 F (32 C). I also use it daily when not on the trail in rain, snow,
      sun, sleet and hail.

      <Insert photo of my Klean Kanteen Here>

      REVIEW

      Initial Impressions:

      The bottle has a nice shape. I like that it is wide enough to feel
      stable when sitting on a table, but narrow enough to fit into backpack
      pockets and most cup holders. The wide-mouth opening made it easy to add
      ice or to pour boiling water into the bottle. The loop on the cap was
      easy to grip and sealed tight to prevent leaks. This loop also made it
      easy to attach the bottle securely to my backpack.

      Field Use:

      The insulated Kleen Kanteen was an essential piece of gear on my winter
      camping trip to the Adirondack high peaks in upstate New York. The
      temperatures dropped just before our trip so the trails were icy and the
      temperature ranged from 0 F (-18 C) to 15 F (-9 C). This mug was great.
      I filled it in the morning and 5 hours later we sat down to eat lunch
      and my tea was still warm. It was wonderful to have a steaming cup of
      tea at the top of the mountain with lunch. I also had no problems with
      drips or spills and the loop at the top proved to be a useful and
      comfortable way to hold the bottle while carrying it.

      This thermos also went on a week long kayaking trip to the thousand
      islands in October. The trip was fortunate to have sunny weather with
      air temperatures around 50 degrees F. For kayaking I found that the loop
      on the lid enabled me to clip the mug to securely to my deck rigging and
      have easy access to my tea during short paddling breaks. In the rare
      event that I didn't drink it all during the morning paddle, I was
      pleasantly surprised to find that the tea was still hot at lunch time.

      I have used this thermos daily for the last 2 years to transport my
      morning tea to work. The mug performs beautifully. It travels in my
      backpack, on my bike, on the bus, and has a wide enough base that I can
      safely drink out of it in front of my computer and not worry too much
      about it tipping over. The only problem that I have found is that it
      keeps my tea so warm that I have to wait for a few hours before I can
      really enjoy it.

      A few months ago, the lid gasket popped out, so I called the
      manufacturer. They provided excellent customer service and promptly sent
      replacement gaskets and a special tool for inserting them. Replacing the
      gasket was easy and I haven't had problems with it since.

      Temperature Test

      I was curious about how well this mug actually does at insulating the
      contents, so I ran a few simple tests. I filled the thermos, took the
      temperature of the liquid, then closed the lid tightly. About every half
      hour, I opened the lid just long enough to check the temperature before
      closing it again. I did this both for cold water in a warm (90 F/ 32 C)
      room, and for hot water in the fridge (40 F/ 4 C). The hot water was
      still warm after 5 hours. In my book 130 F (54 C) is getting past
      sipping temperature and into the gulping temperature range. I love
      gulping temperature tea, but I know that it isn't for everyone. The cold
      water stayed cold for much longer (possibly because the temperature
      difference between cool water and room temperature is much less
      drastic).

      <Insert chart of the temperature tracked through time>

      Performance

      I couldn't have asked for more in an insulated mug. It was watertight,
      but has the option of a cafe-style lid. It kept my tea hot for hours,
      but I could cool my drink more quickly by removing the lid. The loop at
      the top was a nice way to carry the bottle and provided a way to attach
      it securely to my pack and kayak. I also had no problems with it
      retaining odors even after leaving tea it for way too long. It is on the
      heavier side for a light weight backpacking trip, but I found that this
      mug was definitely worth its weight in luna bars.

      Durability: This water bottle has been dropped, used, and sometimes
      abused. I have caused many major dents in the water bottle, but was
      surprised to find them all but disappear after a few uses. It appeared
      that the vacuum seal magically popped the dents back out the next time I
      filled the water bottle with hot water. The most major dent I got is now
      just a light impression. There are small rock shaped dents on the bottom
      from where it has landed on rocks or concrete, but these do not affect
      the stability of the water bottle. There are also a few nicks in the
      cap. These cosmetic flaws are minimal given the hard use this bottle has
      gotten over the past 2 years, and they do not affect the functionality
      of the insulated water bottle at all.

      <Insert photograph of the dents in the bottom>

      Summary

      I don't typically like mugs that have twist tops, but this mug has
      become my one and only. It keeps my tea warm and is easy to carry and
      use. I really love having a mug while camping that is water tight and
      keeps drinks warm until my mid-morning snack or lunch time.

      Pros:

      1.
      Keeps contents warm for hours.

      2.
      Water tight lid doesn't spill or drip even when stored on it's side or
      upside down.

      3.
      Loop on lid allows for easy carry and secure attachment.

      4.
      Great customer support when something goes wrong.

      Cons:

      1.
      Gasket problems, but this only happened once and it was easy to fix.

      2.
      Price is fairly high for a mug.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2012

        Editors Team Director