OR - Camelbak Highwire 25 Hydration Pack - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
      Dear Editors,

      Ditto my previous posting...http://tinyurl.com/7wyhyf9

      Kathy

      CAMELBAK HIGHWIRE 25 HYDRATION PACK
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      March 9, 2012
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 61
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Camelbak
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.camelbak.com
      MSRP: US $115
      Listed Weight: 1.79 lb (0.81 kg)
      Measured Weight: 2 lb 1 oz (0.96 g)
      Torso Length: 19 in (48 cm)
      My Torso Lenght: 19 in (48 cm)
      Colors Available: Citronelle/Woodbine & Formula One/Mirage Grey
      Color Reviewed: Citronell/Woodbine

      Other details: (from manufacturer's website)

      * Total Capacity: 1526 cu in (25 L)
      * Fabric Specs: 70D Mini Ripstop, 230D Taffeta & 420D Nylon with DWR +
      1000mm PU coating
      * Back Panel: LVT (Lightweight Ventilated)
      * Harness: Independent Suspension
      * Belt: Load-bearing with cargo pocket
      * Additional Features: Trekking pole and ice axe mounts, Sunglasses pocket

      * Includes the new AntidoteT Reservoir with Quick LinkT System-the ultimate
      cure for dehydration. Antidote features: Quick LinkT System, quick-seal cap,
      lightweight fillport, dryer arms, center baffling and low-profile design,
      patented Big BiteT Valve, HydroGuardT technology, PureFlowT tube,
      easy-to-clean wide-mouth opening
      Picture Courtesy of Camelbak

      CamelBak® Got Your Bak GuaranteeT: If we built it, we'll Bak itT with our
      lifetime guarantee.

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      According to the manufacturer, the CamelBak Highwire 25 is intended to be
      used as a lightweight day pack. It has a 25 L (1526 cu in) interior capacity
      which is sufficient for what I generally need on a long day hike. As is
      expected of Camelback, the pack features a nifty hydration reservoir, in
      this case a 3 L (100 oz) hydration reservoir; Camelbak's own Antidote.

      The Highwire features a main compartment accessible via a dual opening
      zipper. Inside there is an additional zippered pocket on the inside back of
      the pack for the Antidote. Inside of this pocket, there is a loop from which
      the reservoir is suspended.

      The Antidote reservoir is opened and closed with 1/4 turn of a wide-mouth
      cap. The reservoir also features a shut-off valve on the "bite" and is
      BPA-free. The connecting tube can easily be removed thanks to Camelbak's
      quick release mechanism.

      Also inside of the pack are a zippered mesh pocket and a clip for keys.

      Additional "stashing" options are available on the exterior of the Highwire
      in the form of a zippered pocket at the top front of the pack. Two stretchy
      mesh water bottle pockets on either side of the pack and a large pouch on
      the main body of the pack. Two small zippered pockets positioned on either
      side of the waist belt round out the storage compartments.

      For attaching an ice axe and trekking poles, there are two equipment loops.

      The back panel is firm and ribbed, made from piece of flexible plastic and
      covered with a mesh fabric. Side panels are ventilated and nicely padded, as
      are the shoulder straps and waist belt.

      FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      Since I received the Camelbak Highwire 25 at the Outdoor Retail Show in Salt
      Lake City in January 2011, I have used it on most of the single day hikes
      I've taken for a total of over 40 day hikes. Some of the hikes were as short
      as two hours or so, but the majority of the hikes were 4 hours or more.

      In February 2011, I spent 14 days in Estes Park, Colorado at the entrance to
      Rocky Mountain National Park. It was there where I did short (2-3 hours)
      dayhikes everyday. Estes Park is the eastern gateway to Rocky Mountain
      National Park, so the terrain is mountainous, heavily forested and begins at
      an elevation of 7522 ft (2293 m). While it was very sunny, it never hit the
      freezing mark and the winds were harsh averaging 10-15 mph (16-24 kph) with
      gusts up to 50 mph (81 kph). Humidity levels were higher than I'm used to in
      Colorado - about 41-45%.

      For the rest of 2011, almost all of my outdoor activities were in the
      mountains of Colorado, mostly south central Colorado in the Fremont, Cooper
      and Wet mountain ranges. We had an extremely dry and very hot time of it
      over the summer with the temperatures regularly above average and many days,
      topping 100 F (38 C). The fall and winter were exceptionally mild.
      I also used the Highwire on 5 day hikes in Yellowstone National Park, 2 day
      hikes in Grand Teton National Park and 1 day hike in the Dinosaur National
      Monument in mid-September and at the Outdoor Retailer Show Demo Days in the
      Utah mountains in January 2012.

      Immediately when I put on the Highwire standing in the middle of the
      Camelbak booth at the Outdoor Retail Winter Market, I noticed how light it
      was - of course, there wasn't anything in it! By the end of the day, the
      pack was heavy with product brochures and spec sheets but thanks to the
      padded shoulder straps and the supportive waist belt, the Highwire remained
      relatively comfortable.

      That was just the beginning of my admiration for the Highwire Hydration
      Pack. Over a year later, I'm still finding it's my go-to pack for all sorts
      of day hike, particularly here in the dry high desert climate I live and
      play in!

      Starting with the marquee feature of the Highwire, the Antidote bladder is a
      good size bladder for a several hour day hike and is a cinch to fill. I've
      found the cap to be very easy to tighten though some times I tighten it a
      bit too tight and I'll have to yell for the "man of the tent" to come and
      release it for me. That is probably more my problem than a fault of Camelbak
      as I have a "damaged" finger on my right hand that hinders a good grip.

      The hydration tubing is flexible and has never frozen up on me during treks
      even while snowshoeing. I'm very happy to report the bite valve does not
      leak or drip. Can't say how much I hate having a wet shirt from an inferior
      valve!

      Thanks to that wide fill cap, I can and have easily cleaned out the
      hydration bladder - which by the way did not from the start and does not now
      retain odors - and I use a bent-up wire hanger to keep the bladder expanded
      and dry in-between uses.

      While there isn't any adjustments that can be made as to the length of the
      Highwire, the pack fits me just fine and I am very comfortable with the way
      it sits on my back. Adjusting the shoulder straps is done by simply pulling
      down on the adjustment "pulls" which when warranted, I can quickly do even
      while in motion on the trail.

      I am pleased to say that FINALLY, I have a pack with a waist belt that
      actually fits me without having to "knot" up the ends so they are not
      dangling halfway down to my knees! I do have to have the buckle pulled
      almost as tight as it will go though, except when I am wearing very bulky
      clothes. And if I had to have one complaint about the waist belt, it would
      be that it often slips/loosens up after a while on the trail.

      Storage-wise, the Highwire isn't a very large pack and I can't imagine using
      it for an overnight unless my husband was willing to carry the tent, my
      sleeping bag and pad, the stove, fuel, etc. I could carry the food. Hmmm -
      not a bad idea! But seriously, there is plenty of room for day hike
      equipment: food, stove/fuel, a camera, extra layer, extra socks, headlight,
      etc. The small waist pocket is just big enough for my lip balm, an energy
      gel or two and another small item like a multi-tool.

      The picture below shows how I've even used the Highwire to go grocery
      shopping when I've been stranded without transportation. It's a little
      trickier loading a backpack with canned goods and bulky packaging, but I
      found that if I ignore the weird looks from other shoppers and tear apart
      cardboard boxes and such, I can pack quite a bit into the Highwire and even
      balance out the weights. The only problem is this stuff is heavier than it
      looks! I weighed one such grocery pack trip and found I had slightly more
      than 25 lb (13 kg) stuffed in there!

      All this was inside!

      While up to now, I haven't had to clean the exterior of my Highwire, when
      the time comes, the Camelbak website indicates "wiping your pack with a damp
      cloth to remove dirt" and "If the pack is extremely dirty and needs a deeper
      cleaning, soak it in cool or warm water with a very mild soap. Rinse the
      pack thoroughly with cool water." Good to know!

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Roomy, yet lightweight pack with huge hydration capacity in the
      Antidote.
      2.) Lots of options for storage organization.
      3.) Comfy, padded shoulder straps adjust easily and quickly on the fly.
      4.) Lo and behold, the Highwire has a waist belt that fits smaller waists!

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) The waist belt adjustment seems to "slip" a bit while I'm hiking.
      Fortunately, it easily can be re-adjusted without stopping on the trail.

      SUMMARY

      I'm in love with the Camelbak Highwire 25! It's light, it's roomy enough for
      all my dayhiking needs and it can carry LOTS of liquids via the included
      Antidote bladder and optionally supplemented with the 2 water bottle side
      pouches.

      I was very pleased to see just how much could be stuffed into the pack and
      how well balanced it can be when stuffed to the top (properly, of course).

      And I like how intuitively the Highwire can be adjusted to fit for maximum
      support and comfort.

      For day hiking, the Highwire 25 is now the one I'll grab when heading out.
      It's all I need for most every occasion, 4-seasons hiking/snowshoeing.

      Kathleen Waters

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version
      1.5 Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
          Hi Kathy,

          Here are the edits for this review, after which you can add it to:

          Reviews > Hydration Systems > Packs > Camelbak Highwire 25 Antidote Pack

          Thanks,

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: Camelbak

          EDIT: actually their name is Camelbak Products, LLC

          ***My Torso Lenght: 19 in (48 cm)

          EDIT: Length

          ***Color Reviewed: Citronell/Woodbine

          EDIT: Citronelle

          ***Inside there is an additional zippered pocket on the inside back of the pack

          Edit: I would delete the second "inside" (or the first, works either way better)

          *** The Antidote reservoir is opened and closed with 1/4 turn of a wide-mouth cap.

          EDIT with "a" ¼ turn of "the" wide-mouth cap

          ***Additional "stashing" options are available on the exterior of the Highwire in the form of a zippered pocket at the top front of the pack. Two stretchy mesh water bottle pockets on either side of the pack and a large pouch on the main body of the pack.

          EDIT: the way it is written you need a comma, not a period, after "top front of the pack"

          ***The back panel is firm and ribbed, made from piece of flexible plastic

          EDIT: made from "a" piece (or drop "piece of")

          ***Since I received the Camelbak Highwire 25 at the Outdoor Retail Show in Salt Lake City in January 2011, I have used it on most of the single day hikes I've taken for a total of over 40 day hikes.

          EDIT/comment: Jerry always told me not to mention getting an item from the OR
          Show. I have to assume that this still stands. I would suggest just saying, "Since I got the Camelbak Highwire 25 in January 2011…"

          Hmm, I see you mention the show a lot later in the review. Maybe we should discuss this in more depth off site.

          *** and the winds were harsh averaging 10-15 mph (16-24 kph) with gusts up to 50 mph (81 kph)

          EDIT: 81 km/h

          ***and at the Outdoor Retailer Show Demo Days in the Utah mountains in January 2012.

          EDIT: those are the Wasatch Mountains (maybe say "in Utah's Wasatch Mountains")

          *** I'm still finding it's my go-to pack for all sorts of day hike,

          EDIT: all sorts of day-hikes (plural)

          *** I've found the cap to be very easy to tighten though some times I tighten it a bit too tight

          EDIT: sometimes

          ***The picture below shows how I've even used the Highwire to go grocery shopping when I've been stranded without transportation. It's a little trickier loading a backpack with canned goods and bulky packaging

          Comment: Ha, this is exactly how I am able to grocery shop right now. Maybe I CAN test a pack…
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
            Ray,

            Wow, sorry about all the dumb errors - I never remember to proof the info section - I've got to get better than that! Made all the corrections/suggestions, deleted the test and uploaded the file.

            As for the mentions of the OR show, thanks to all the great specials at OR, I confess I spend way too much money on gear there. John is threatening to take away my checkbook when we go! I bought 5 pairs of different shoes there this January! (I like shoes...)

            Thanks for your editing,