OR - Baffin Cush Slippers - Unisex - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2012
      Dear Editors,

      You guys/gals look like you can use some work! <g> Here ya go.

      HTML is at http://tinyurl.com/8xgmyu5

      Looking forward to all those edits!
      Kathy

      BAFFIN CUSH SLIPPERS - UNISEX
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 61
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Baffin
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.baffin.com
      MSRP: CN$ 23.99
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)
      Colors Available: Mango, Pink Camo, Purple, Black, Navy, Fern, Espresso,
      Merlot, Dusk, Brown Camo, Charcoal
      Color Reviewed: Black and Navy
      Sizes Available: Youth Small to Youth Large, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
      and XX-Large
      Size Reviewed: Medium
      My Foot Size: 7.5 or 8 women's depending on style

      Picture Courtesy of Baffin

      "Baffin Cush slippers are like perfect pillows for your feet, and the
      ultimate answer after a day outside, Warm, yet also sleek and breathable for
      all-day (and night) use; wonderfully comfortable, with micro-grip bottom for
      traction on any surface; quick-pull front closure for secure fit. Slip into
      a pair of Cush slippers, and be set for whatever apres-snow brings."

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      On first sight, the Baffin Cush Slippers appeared to me to be odd-looking...
      They are relatively large and flat with little definition or shape. While
      they may look "odd", they sure are functional!

      The Baffin Cush Slippers are one of three products in the Baffin Cush line.
      The heel portion of the slipper covers more than a "slide" slipper but
      doesn't not come up as high as a "bootie" slipper. My heel is completely,
      but just barely, covered by the slipper's back. Over the topside of my foot,
      the Cush encases almost all of it to just under the front of my ankle. Three
      sets of baffles add structure to the slipper's upper insulation, keeping the
      insulation in place horizontally. There is a top "channel" which creates an
      adjustable cuff via a corded drawstring. This drawstring when pulled outward
      tightens the slipper. A push-lock plastic piece then holds the cord in
      place. A nice-sized "Baffin" bit of embroidery is positioned just under the
      drawstring channel on the front outer side of each slipper.

      Inside the slipper, the sides and top are covered with the same material as
      the outside of the slipper. The insole though is a very cushy, textured
      fabric similar in feel to a boiled wool. There is slightly more stuffing in
      the middle of the sole versus the outer edges of the sole.

      Relaxing at Night

      Inside Lining

      A sturdy, non-treaded, but slightly textured sole completes the construction
      of the Baffin Cush Slipper nicely.

      7FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE

      I've worn these Cush Slippers all over Colorado on various nights in weather
      ranging from 70 F (21 C) down to 20 F (-7 C). I've worn them walking on
      dusty, sandy surfaces, gravelly broken shale and wet granite. I've even worn
      them tippy-toeing over some snow when absolutely necessary. Once, I was very
      grateful to have the slippers to wear while sleeping on an especially cold,
      windy night. Mostly though, I've worn them while comfortably resting at
      night after a long day outdoors!

      Thanks to the draw cord adjustment, the slippers are very easy to don and
      doff! I pack them with the draw cord at its loosest which lets me quickly
      slide my feet into the slippers without any trouble at all. Then it's a
      quick push of the plastic "tightener" gadget and a pull of the draw cord
      and, voila! - secure, fitting slippers are the results. To remove, again, a
      quick push of the tightener, then an outward pull and the slippers slip off!

      In all cases, the slippers kept me comfortably warm. I did not experience
      the sweating feet I often get with other slippers even when it's cold and
      that was a particularly pleasant surprise when wearing them at higher
      temperatures. Yet I feel the slippers did a stellar job of keeping my
      tootsies warm in the lowest temperatures I encountered. I did wear socks
      though when it was below 60 F (16 C) or so.

      And speaking of sweating, the slippers never gained a wet or offensive
      smell.

      The soles of the Cush Slippers are tough enough for me to wear outside in
      the field for short distances. I never did nor would I ever try, walking any
      great distance in them. No shards of shale have punctured my feet as of yet,
      but I've not and will not, "push it". While it hasn't happened yet due to my
      care in where I've gone, I have no doubt, a cactus spine would penetrate the
      sole and there's tons of those nasty critters where I generally roam. Also,
      there is no inner support for my arches, so as is advertised, I've worn the
      Baffin Cush Slipper AFTER outdoors activities, not during. And they are
      great for that purpose!

      One thing that is very important to me when deciding what goes into my
      backpack is the size/weight-to-usability ratio. I rarely take items because
      I "may" need them and when it comes to clothing, I would rather spend the
      entire trip in the same clothes than use up valuable pack space for a clean
      pair of pants or a shirt. Before I got the Baffin Cush Slippers, I would
      either wear my boots at night in camp until I went to bed or sit around with
      often-cold feet in just my socks. I just couldn't bear to clutter up my pack
      with camp shoes. However, as can be seen in the picture below, the slippers
      really don't take up much room and they are so worth having one or two less
      food bars!

      One Cush Slipper vs Clif Bar

      After 6 months of on the trail and at home use - approximately 300 hours - I
      decided it was about time these babies got a bath! Not that they were
      disgustingly dirty or smelly, just on principle. I threw the Cush slippers
      into an HD automatic washer in cold water, on delicate cycle with other tech
      clothing using a tech wash soap. Overnight, I allowed the slippers to
      air-dry, flat on a towel.

      The next morning, I grabbed the Cush slippers and was very, very
      disappointed to find the cushioning in the insoles/soles had shifted during
      washing, forming a ridge down the center and making the bottoms of the
      slippers so lumpy as to be uncomfortable, no, not uncomfortable, but
      actually painful! I tried to "knead" out the lump to no avail. Now I was
      very sad! My favorite cold weather camp slippers were ruined.

      I immediately went to the Baffin website to ask Customer Service what I did
      wrong - I should have checked with them for care instructions in the first
      place - and was there any remedy. Very promptly within a matter of a couple
      of hours, I had the following response: "Hi Kathy
      We recommend...Gently hand wash our Cush collection with mild soap and
      water. Lay flat to dry. This helps keep its shape. We do not recommend the
      washer or dryer." Dang!

      Not all was lost though as the very nice rep offered me another pair as a
      replacement! Great customer service! I couldn't wait to get them and within
      a matter of just a couple of weeks, I had a brand new pair. Yay! My feet are
      happy again!

      STARRING ATTRACTIONS

      1.) So comfy and warm without being too warm
      2.) Squish to a very small mass with the ability to be crammed into my pack
      3.) Can be worn on a variety of surfaces from indoors to dirt, wet and snow
      outdoors

      MAJOR DISTRACTION

      1.) I ruined the slippers the very first time I washed them. Now I know to
      hand wash and dry them, not machine wash!

      SUMMARY

      The Baffin Cush Slippers are just the best cold weather slippers I own - and
      I have several other pairs of slippers! They squish to a small mass when
      needed and I will always find room for them in my pack when I'm going out on
      the trail in cold weather. I love the comfort of the baffled uppers and the
      warmth of the insoles. Bonus points are awarded for the outdoor-friendly
      outer soles which allow me to use them outside my tent, if I need to do so.

      I heartily recommend the Cush Slippers as great camp shoes and thank Baffin
      for providing me with my now-favorite slippers!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version
      1.5 Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2012
          Hi Kathy,

          Thanks for the OR. I only found one edit for you. Once corrected you can place it here:

          Reviews > Footwear > Camp Shoes > Baffin Cush Slippers

          Ray

          ***7FIELD USE AND PERFORMANCE
          EDIT: delete the "7"

          ***Then it's a quick push of the plastic "tightener" gadget and a pull of the draw cord and, voila! - secure, fitting slippers are the results. To remove, again, a quick push of the tightener,

          Comment: I would use "cord-lock" instead of "tightener"

          *** I threw the Cush slippers into an HD automatic washer in cold water

          Comment: what is HD?
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2012
            Thanks, Ray! I couldn't think of the work "cord-lock" for anything that night.

            Deleted, uploaded, all done.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2012
              Hi Kathy,

              For some reason on the HTML version the date did not show up at the top of this OR. I'm not sure if your picture squeezed it our what but please take and a look and get it squared away ASAP.

              Thanks,
              Jamie D

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" <kathy@...> wrote:

              > Thanks, Ray! I couldn't think of the work "cord-lock" for anything that night.
              >
              > Deleted, uploaded, all done.
              >
              > Kathy
            • Kathy Waters
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2012
                Jamie,

                Not sure why the date wasn't there, but I re-did it and all is good in BGTland now.

                Thanks for the catch!