RE: Member comment/edit - OR - Seirus Thermax Headliner Junior - Jamie DeBenedetto

  • A. Buskov
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
      Justin;

      While your help is greatly appreciated, there are a few aspects of "member
      commenting / edits" that might be of help to you. It is generally advised
      that members comment only after an editor has sent their initial edits,
      unless the comment is of great importance and grossly changes the meaning
      for a section of the report. This allows the editors to do their job while
      still allowing members to comment on the clarity if necessary.

      It is also generally discouraged that members edit from the TEST folders.
      Jamie's report hasn't even been added to the Owner Review Queue and as such
      there is no editor even assigned yet. Also, the reports in the TEST folders
      change regularly. I myself have uploaded different version of my reports 6
      or 7 times before my editor made their edits.

      Lastly, please understand that 'editing' reports is generally reserved for
      Monitors, Editors, Moderators, and higher administration staff. The
      importance of this is to keep with the strict guidelines that
      BackpackGearTest.org adheres to in order to keep our reports well maintained
      and structured to serve both our readers and our clients (manufacturers). It
      also helps us keep the edit process structured so that new members are not
      confused when reading posts by other members who are not a part of the edit
      team.

      Thank you for your drive and desire to help our community grow. Your
      enthusiasm is greatly welcomed and we hope that you will continue to submit
      owner reports and participate in the test series with as much enthusiasm.

      AB

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
        Justin,

        What Andrew says is true. It didn't even register to me on your previous "member edit" that you were commenting on ORs where the editors rule! And even on the Testers' list, the test monitor has first dibs on an edit and only after those edits are done, members can chime in if they see any errors.

        Also, while part of your edit is relevant "to/two" and we do discourage "projection" (assuming our experience is universal to all), we DO give latitude for style and this would be a style thing and not one that would warrant and edit.

        Again, to echo Andy, I glad to see your enthusiasm and have you pegged for "work" when you have been around a bit longer. (Beware!)

        Kathy

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2012
          Hi Justin,

          Thanks for the catch. Yes, I did mean the number two.

          As an FYI, the general protocol we take regarding the editing of ORs is to allow the editor who picks the OR out of the edit queue the first crack. Then after they have posted their edits, any member can jump in if they notice something the editor missed. This makes the process a bit less complicated and doesn't scare off the newbies. :)

          Clearly you have an eye for this sort of thing. It might interest you to know that once you have completed the OR process and finished one full test series you are eligible to volunteer as a test monitor. These folks are vital to the operations of the site, essentially acting as editors for what ever test series they have been assigned. Keep it in mind as you grow more familiar with the inner working of BGT.

          Safe hiking,
          Jamie D
          Editors Team Director