Owner Review - Seirus Thermax Headliner Junior - Jamie DeBenedetto

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2012
      Well since I chose the category for the Feb. test call I figured it only right that I submit an OR too. Here goes, please be gentle, it's been a while since I've written one of these. :)

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR-Seirus%20Thermax%20Headliner%20Junior%20-%20Jamie%20D/

      Thermax Headliner Junior
      By Seirus Innovation
      An Owner Review by Jamie DeBenedetto
      February 29th, 2012

      Writer's Information

      Jamie J. DeBenedetto
      Female, 39 years old
      Height: 5'11" (180 cm)
      Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
      Email: jdeben(at)hotmail.com
      Personal Website: www.MyDog8AZ.com
      Location: Phoenix, Arizona - The Grand Canyon State

      Background/Experience

      I began backpacking twenty-five years ago after a childhood loaded with all sorts of outdoor adventures. At present I work as a hike leader so I day-hike at least sixteen times a month. I also camp, kayak and take one or two night backpacking trips occasionally.
      When backpacking, I prefer to sleep in a hammock and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that will enhance my comfort level with minimal weight. My total pack weight year round is rarely above 25 lbs (11 kg) for outings of two to three days.

      Tester's Information

      My two little helpers are my 9 and 7 year old sons, AJ and MV. Both kids have been enjoying time in the outdoors with their parents since they were 3 months old.

      AJ - Height: 54 in (137 cm) MV - Height: 48 in (122 cm)
      Weight: 62 lbs (28 kg) Weight: 49 lbs (22 kg)
      Head Size: 20.5 in (52 cm) Head Size: 20 in (51 cm)

      Product Information

      Manufacturer Seirus Innovation
      URL www.seirus.com
      Year Purchased Dec 2006 or Jan 2007
      Made in Mexico
      Model and Size Junior – one size fits all
      Color Black
      MSRP N/A
      (Specifications - Taken from the manufacturer's website or product tag)
      Total Weight Not given
      Fits Head Sizes Not given
      Materials 100% Polyester Thermax
      Care Instructions Machine washable
      Warranty Not given

      (Specifications as received and observed by this writer)
      Weight (taken with a digital office scale) 1.3 oz (38 g)
      Fits Head Size At least 21 in (53 cm)

      Product Description

      The Seirus Innovation Thermax Headliner is a thin and lightweight head, neck and/or face warmer. It can be worn as a hat, a helmet liner, a neck warmer, and a balaclava. It's designed to be worn right next to the skin during cold weather activities and as such has moisture wicking properties. It is made of 100% Polyester Thermax.

      Field Locations and Conditions

      Back in late 2006 or early 2007 I purchased two of the Thermax Headliners in the Junior size for my sons, who were then three and five. Since then they have used them on two snow play day trips, on several camping trips totaling at least seven nights and numerous times around our house for fun. When not warming a child's face they double nicely as a "ninja" mask! The snow play days were in Flagstaff, Arizona at an elevation of 8,000 ft (2,400 m). I don't recall the temperatures but typical winter daytime temps fall in the 35 to 45 F (1.5 to 7 C) range. We did not experience snowfall on these days but it was chilly enough for the boys to need the Headliners for the several hours we were on the mountain. All camping trips took place up on the Mogollon Rim (7500 ft/2290 m) or in the White Mountains (8500 ft/2600 m) of Northeastern, AZ. These trips were taken in early summer when the overnight temperatures still dip into the 40's F (5-9 C).

      Our Experience

      My sons have primarily used the Headliners in either the neck warmer or the balaclava configurations either alone or under beanies. In the balaclava position it can be worn either under the chin or pulled-up over the nose for additional face coverage. If they started to get too hot they could simply just pull it down into the neck position until needed over the ears and/or nose again. The versatility of this garment is really a plus.

      The Headliner fits snugly, which for my older son, sometimes makes putting it on difficult. This does not mean they are uncomfortable once in place, however. Neither of my kids has ever complained about the fit. The eye opening is just right for my kids, even when slightly twisted it doesn't obstruct vision. Although it's snug around the face and head, the neck has a much looser fit. Frankly, I'm glad for this simply because constricting this area worries me as a parent. The looser fit around the neck coupled with a shorter length at the neck line does mean air will penetrate this area when the boys are very active. I usually tuck the Headliner into their shirts but it always pulls out after a short time.

      Although the material is thin, the Thermax Headliner does do a very nice job of keeping in warmth. And unlike a beanie it doesn't fall off or move around exposing the child's ears. This was one of the main reasons I purchased these actually. My kids move around a ton when sleeping so staying bundled in a mummy style sleeping bag or keeping a beanie on all night wasn't happening. I wanted something that would not only stay put, it would also not be constrictive and heavy. This piece of gear works perfectly for that.

      On our snow play days we also sledded, which means lot of crashes. The Headliners did get wet but I thought they managed the moisture from the outside and the inside quite well. Another bonus of the snug fit around the face is that they do not let any snow in under the edges. That was particularly useful after face plants!

      The Headliner washes easily and has held up well to many launderings and lots of face time. After years of use only one of the ones we own is showing signs of wear in the form of several loose strings springing forth from the seams at the front of the face opening. Other than that, they are still in very good condition and have retained their shape and size.

      Pros and Cons

      The Seirus Thermax Headliner Junior is a simple piece of gear that does an important job well. Both my sons like wearing it whether it's to ward off cold temperatures, to keep them snuggly warm as they sleep or to fight off bad guys attacking our basecamp. As a parent I like it because it's easy to care for and I know it's going to stay in place even as active and wiggly as to young boys can be.

      My only complaint about this garment is the length of the neck line. I definitely think it would be a an improvement if it was wee bit longer just to keep out those drafts and well placed snowballs.

      - Jamie DeBenedetto 2012
    • justpottsy
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 29, 2012
        Jamie D,
        I really enjoyed your review (even though my children are of the canine nature for now) but I saw one minor nitpick regarding the statement "even as active and wiggly as to young boys can be." in the last line of your pros section. Btw I'm new to BGT so be gentle on how I make member edits/comments I just catch what trips me up in a review. I'm up for suggestions on how to improve my comments.

        Comment:
        Did you mean "as TWO young boys can be"
        If so;
        That's borderline assuming ALL boys are active and wiggly (I personally was/am but still yet an assumption that all are)

        Edit:
        Even as active and wiggly as MY two young boys can be.

        Or
        Comment:
        are you referring to to the terminology "to wit" in which I would say:

        Edit:
        To wit (specifically) as active and wiggly as my two boys can be.

        Regards,
        Justin Potts
        -Pottsy

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Pros and Cons
        >
        > The Seirus Thermax Headliner Junior is a simple piece of gear that does an important job well. Both my sons like wearing it whether it's to ward off cold temperatures, to keep them snuggly warm as they sleep or to fight off bad guys attacking our basecamp. As a parent I like it because it's easy to care for and I know it's going to stay in place even as active and wiggly as to young boys can be.
        >
        > My only complaint about this garment is the length of the neck line. I definitely think it would be a an improvement if it was wee bit longer just to keep out those drafts and well placed snowballs.

      • A. Buskov
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
          Justin;

          While your help is greatly appreciated, there are a few aspects of "member
          commenting / edits" that might be of help to you. It is generally advised
          that members comment only after an editor has sent their initial edits,
          unless the comment is of great importance and grossly changes the meaning
          for a section of the report. This allows the editors to do their job while
          still allowing members to comment on the clarity if necessary.

          It is also generally discouraged that members edit from the TEST folders.
          Jamie's report hasn't even been added to the Owner Review Queue and as such
          there is no editor even assigned yet. Also, the reports in the TEST folders
          change regularly. I myself have uploaded different version of my reports 6
          or 7 times before my editor made their edits.

          Lastly, please understand that 'editing' reports is generally reserved for
          Monitors, Editors, Moderators, and higher administration staff. The
          importance of this is to keep with the strict guidelines that
          BackpackGearTest.org adheres to in order to keep our reports well maintained
          and structured to serve both our readers and our clients (manufacturers). It
          also helps us keep the edit process structured so that new members are not
          confused when reading posts by other members who are not a part of the edit
          team.

          Thank you for your drive and desire to help our community grow. Your
          enthusiasm is greatly welcomed and we hope that you will continue to submit
          owner reports and participate in the test series with as much enthusiasm.

          AB

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
            Justin,

            What Andrew says is true. It didn't even register to me on your previous "member edit" that you were commenting on ORs where the editors rule! And even on the Testers' list, the test monitor has first dibs on an edit and only after those edits are done, members can chime in if they see any errors.

            Also, while part of your edit is relevant "to/two" and we do discourage "projection" (assuming our experience is universal to all), we DO give latitude for style and this would be a style thing and not one that would warrant and edit.

            Again, to echo Andy, I glad to see your enthusiasm and have you pegged for "work" when you have been around a bit longer. (Beware!)

            Kathy

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2012
              Hi Justin,

              Thanks for the catch. Yes, I did mean the number two.

              As an FYI, the general protocol we take regarding the editing of ORs is to allow the editor who picks the OR out of the edit queue the first crack. Then after they have posted their edits, any member can jump in if they notice something the editor missed. This makes the process a bit less complicated and doesn't scare off the newbies. :)

              Clearly you have an eye for this sort of thing. It might interest you to know that once you have completed the OR process and finished one full test series you are eligible to volunteer as a test monitor. These folks are vital to the operations of the site, essentially acting as editors for what ever test series they have been assigned. Keep it in mind as you grow more familiar with the inner working of BGT.

              Safe hiking,
              Jamie D
              Editors Team Director