Re: Re REPOST: Tech Bowie, Pete Jaworski,

  • Jason Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2012
      Check out more at http://www.thatsnotcamping.com/?p=1644
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Spagga" <chef_pete@...> wrote:

      > SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE
      > BY PETE JAWORSKI
      > OR
      > January 31, 2012
      >
      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >
      > NAME: Pete Jaworski
      > EMAIL: chef_pete@...
      > AGE: 40
      > LOCATION: Frisco, TX, USA
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.08 m)
      > WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)
      >
      > I have been a hiker, camper and climber since my childhood (7/8 years
      old). Most of my experience is weekend and occasional week long treks
      on the Appalachian Trail (NJ/PA north to Maine). In Texas I encounter
      more temperate and low altitude camping. Depending on climate and
      terrain, I will pack anywhere between minimalist (20 lbs or less) to a
      heavy pack (50 lbs plus) with many creature comforts.

      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      >
      > SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE
      > BY PETE JAWORSKI
      > OR
      > January 31, 2012
      >
      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >
      > NAME: Pete Jaworski
      > EMAIL: chef_pete@...
      > AGE: 40
      > LOCATION: Frisco, TX, USA
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.08 m)
      > WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)
      >
      > I have been a hiker, camper and climber since my childhood (7/8 years
      old). Most of my experience is weekend and occasional week long treks
      on the Appalachian Trail (NJ/PA north to Maine). In Texas I encounter
      more temperate and low altitude camping. Depending on climate and
      terrain, I will pack anywhere between minimalist (20 lbs or less) to a
      heavy pack (50 lbs plus) with many creature comforts.

      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      >
      > Manufacturer: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools, LLC
      > Year of Manufacture: 2010
      > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sogknives.com/
      > MSRP: US$ 207.00
      > Listed Weight: 11.2 oz (317.51g)
      > Actual Weight: 10.9 oz (308g) Knife only
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "SOG TECH
      BOWIE">>

      > Other details:
      > Kydex Sheath Included
      > Sheath Weight: 3.6oz (102g)
      > Blade Length/ Width: 6.4" x .24" (16.3cm x 6.1mm)
      > Actual Length/ Width: 6.4" x .24" (16.3cm x 6.1mm)
      > Actual Cutting Edge: 5.5" (13.97cm)
      > Overall Length 11" (27.9cm)
      > Edge: Straight
      > Steel: AUS 8
      > HRC : 57-58
      > Handle: Kraton
      > Finish Hardcased Black TiNi
      > Country of Origin Taiwan
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Kydex
      Sheath">>

      > SOG Warranty Information
      >
      > All SOG products are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and
      materials for the life of the original purchaser. This guarantee is
      voided (as determined by SOG) by misuse, abuse, improper maintenance, or
      alterations of the product and does not cover any normal wear or tear
      that might occur. Using your SOG folding blade or fixed blade knife for
      any purpose other than cutting or puncturing is considered abuse and may
      void your warranty.

      > Product Description
      > The Tech Bowie - Black TiNi (hereafter referred to as the "knife" or
      "Bowie") is a single edge fixed blade tool. The blade is hard cased in
      black TiNi so as to not reflect light. The TiNi is an extremely hard
      ceramic applied as a thin coating. It's used to harden and protect
      cutting and sliding surfaces. The knife is full tang, meaning that the
      metal continues through the full-length of the handle. The handle has a
      4.8 mm hole drilled through the steel end of the handle; this can be
      used as an attachment point for a lanyard or other survival type rope.
      The SOG Insignia and Tech Bowie Name are etched (in white) into the left
      side of the blade, and TIWAN on the right side. The handle has SOG
      specialty knives printed into the handle on both sides.
      > The Kydex Sheath (hereafter referred to as the "sheath") is a hard
      plastic type material. It has the SOG name stamped through the edge end,
      and multiple attachment points for lashing to gear and tactical
      MOLLE/PALS systems . There is a flexible snap closure that connects
      around the knife handle and keeps it secured in the sheath. The sheath
      also has a belt loop attachment so it can be worn on the hip.
      > This knife was purchased in the fall of 2010 and has traveled with me
      on every hiking trip, camping outing and day hike excursion I have ever
      gone on. I usually keep this knife on my person (when not at work) or
      in my vehicle.
      > The knife was shipped in its sheath in SOG Logo box with paper.
      Enclosed also was a fixed blade product information brochure, including
      maintenance instructions and warranty information. The blade was
      extremely sharp coming out of the box and ready to use.

      > FIELD USE
      >
      > FIELD USE
      > I have used this knife at altitudes between -75' (-22.86m) to over
      8000 Feet (2438m). Temperatures have ranged from -3 F (-19 C) to over
      110 F (43 C). Conditions have been full sun, rain, heavy fog,
      thunderstorms, freezing rain and snow storms. It has been in desert
      conditions in Big Bend National Park to Blizzard conditions on Mount
      Washington Maine
      > The knife has been used to field dress deer and other game, filet
      fish, open cans and live shellfish. It has been extensively used to
      cut: wood, climbing rope, accessory cord and webbing, hair, clothing,
      brush (live and dead vegetation), branches, plastic (Cable Ties), paper
      and cardboard, duct tape, and my hand (once, and it performed
      extraordinarily well at that).

      > This knife has also been used several times as a wood splitter in
      conjunction with a larger wood log/branch as a hammer (not recommended
      by manufacturer), as a pry tool for separating wood (not recommended by
      manufacturer), several times as a digging tool for cat holes (not
      recommended by manufacturer). It has been lashed to the end of wood
      and used as a fishing spear (no recommendation by manufacturer). It has
      once or twice been thrown at trees and plywood (not recommended by
      manufacturer). The knife has also been stabbed into logs, picnic tables
      and sheetrock. It has also been used to lift Dutch Ovens from fire pits
      and as a general cooking tool.

      > I have sharpened this knife several times using a wet stone and/or
      tri stone combination and am able to refresh the blade using a burr
      steel from time to time. The blade does not have any knicks/notches or
      obvious damage and the Black TiNi coating has held up very well through
      heavy usage.

      > SUMMARY
      >
      > SUMMARY
      > Over all I am very impressed with the quality of the blade and how
      long it keeps an edge, considering the rigors and amount of use it does
      get. The knife is heavy, part of the reason I bought it, I wanted a
      "meaty" blade to hold up to use and often abuse. This knife has
      outperformed other fixed blades I have owned in the past by far.

      > THINGS I LIKE
      >
      > Pros:
      > Hard blade
      > Holds a great edge for a long time
      > Optional accessories available
      >

      > THINGS I DON'T LIKE
      >
      > I did become disenchanted with the stock sheath and decided to upgrade
      to the SEAL team nylon sheath ($25.00 US) this gave me the same
      attachment and belt loop capabilities but added a Velcro closure over
      the handle and exterior Velcro pouch for the stowage of a multi tool.
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "SEAL TEAM
      SHEATH">>