EDIT: SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE, Pete Jaworski

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2012
      EDIT: SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE, Pete Jaworski

      Hi Pete

      Good progress. There are some fine details to be fixed, but nothing much.

      You need to read through the web version after you have created it to look for HTML 'funnies'. There are a few. Yep, more proof reading.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
      --------------------
      Comment: do you really want the OR all in red? It is not as readable as it would be in black.

      > Frisco, TX, USA
      EDIT: given that we have non-USA readers who may not know what TX means, could you spell it out please.

      > 240 lb (109.00 kg)
      EDIT: round off to 109 kg. I am sure your weight varies from day to day by more than 100 g!

      > I will pack anywhere between minimalist (20 lbs or less) to a
      heavy pack (50 lbs plus)
      EDIT metric equivalents please. Yeah we hard-line that one.

      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      EDIT: not sure what id happening here, but you don't want the heading repeated here under Product Information.

      > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sogknives.com/
      EDIT: the web site needs to be 'clickable'. Let me know if you need help with this.

      > Listed Weight: 11.2 oz (317.5 g)
      EDIT: too much precision in the metric. 317 g is enough.

      > Country of Origin Taiwan
      Edit: we aim for consistency if possible. You need a : after Origin.

      > Product Description
      Comment: you might like to make this into a small heading.

      > The TiNi is an extremely hard ceramic applied as a
      > thin coating. It' is used to
      EDIT: delete the apostrophe after It

      > harden and protect cutting and sliding surfaces.
      Comment: I would write 'protect the cutting ...', but you way is acceptable.

      > The knife was shipped in its sheath in SOG Logo box with paper.
      EDIT: 'in a SOG logo ...'

      > FIELD USE
      EDIT: this heading appears twice.

      > It has been extensively used to cut: wood, climbing rope,
      Edit: you don't need the : after cut, and you haven't used it in the previous sentences.

      > SUMMARY
      EDIT:

      > THINGS I LIKE
      Pros:
      Edit: I don't think you need both headings. You could skip thr 'Pros' as the next heading is THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      >Cons:
      Edit: this should fit under THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      > Heavy for some people
      EDIT: this is extrapolating to what other people might think, and is a big no-no at BGT. If you change this to something like 'A bit heavy' that would be fine.
    • Spagga
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
        Roger I think I got all the 'funnies' out of the HTML version. Should be good to go
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20SOG%20Tech%20Bowie%20-%20Pete%20Jaworski/
        thanks Pete

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <r.caffin@...> wrote:

        > EDIT: SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE, Pete Jaworski
        >
        > Hi Pete
        >
        > Good progress. There are some fine details to be fixed, but nothing much.
        >
        > You need to read through the web version after you have created it to look for HTML 'funnies'. There are a few. Yep, more proof reading.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Roger Caffin
        > BGT Editor
        > --------------------
        > Comment: do you really want the OR all in red? It is not as readable as it would be in black.
        >
        > > Frisco, TX, USA
        > EDIT: given that we have non-USA readers who may not know what TX means, could you spell it out please.
        >
        > > 240 lb (109.00 kg)
        > EDIT: round off to 109 kg. I am sure your weight varies from day to day by more than 100 g!
        >
        > > I will pack anywhere between minimalist (20 lbs or less) to a
        > heavy pack (50 lbs plus)
        > EDIT metric equivalents please. Yeah we hard-line that one.
        >
        > > PRODUCT INFORMATION
        > EDIT: not sure what id happening here, but you don't want the heading repeated here under Product Information.
        >
        > > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sogknives.com/
        > EDIT: the web site needs to be 'clickable'. Let me know if you need help with this.
        >
        > > Listed Weight: 11.2 oz (317.5 g)
        > EDIT: too much precision in the metric. 317 g is enough.
        >
        > > Country of Origin Taiwan
        > Edit: we aim for consistency if possible. You need a : after Origin.
        >
        > > Product Description
        > Comment: you might like to make this into a small heading.
        >
        > > The TiNi is an extremely hard ceramic applied as a
        > > thin coating. It' is used to
        > EDIT: delete the apostrophe after It
        >
        > > harden and protect cutting and sliding surfaces.
        > Comment: I would write 'protect the cutting ...', but you way is acceptable.
        >
        > > The knife was shipped in its sheath in SOG Logo box with paper.
        > EDIT: 'in a SOG logo ...'
        >
        > > FIELD USE
        > EDIT: this heading appears twice.
        >
        > > It has been extensively used to cut: wood, climbing rope,
        > Edit: you don't need the : after cut, and you haven't used it in the previous sentences.
        >
        > > SUMMARY
        > EDIT:
        >
        > > THINGS I LIKE
        > Pros:
        > Edit: I don't think you need both headings. You could skip thr 'Pros' as the next heading is THINGS I DON'T LIKE
        >
        > >Cons:
        > Edit: this should fit under THINGS I DON'T LIKE
        >
        > > Heavy for some people
        > EDIT: this is extrapolating to what other people might think, and is a big no-no at BGT. If you change this to something like 'A bit heavy' that would be fine.

      • R&S Caffin
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
          Hi Pete

          > I think I got all the 'funnies' out of the HTML version
          > should be good to go
          > let me know if you see anything else
          > http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=27149882.htm

          One of our strict rules is that ORs must be posted in the Test/Owner Reviews
          folder so other editors and Mods and other contributors can all see them.
          Could you post it there please and let me know with the URL to it.

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
        • R&S Caffin
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2012
            EDIT: SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE, Pete Jaworski

            Hi Pete

            Nearly!
            A couple of little things left over from the last round. Could you fix these
            please and repost the HTML as before, then you should be good.

            Cheers
            Roger Caffin
            BGT Editor
            --------------------
            > WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)
            EDIT: round off to 109 kg. I am sure your weight varies from day to day by
            more than 100 g!

            > Product Description
            EDIT: make this into a small heading.

            > Heavy for some people
            EDIT: this is extrapolating to what other people might think, and is a big
            no-no at BGT. Change this to something like 'A bit heavy' - leave out the
            'for some people'
          • Spagga
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
              the 109.00 is the BGT HTML wrier extending it to decimal places--tell me how to remove and I will

              other EDIT made

              Please advise
              PJ

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "R&S Caffin" <r.caffin@...> wrote:

              > EDIT: SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE, Pete Jaworski
              >
              > Hi Pete
              >
              > Nearly!
              > A couple of little things left over from the last round. Could you fix these
              > please and repost the HTML as before, then you should be good.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Roger Caffin
              > BGT Editor
              > --------------------
              > > WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)
              > EDIT: round off to 109 kg. I am sure your weight varies from day to day by
              > more than 100 g!
              >
              > > Product Description
              > EDIT: make this into a small heading.
              >
              > > Heavy for some people
              > EDIT: this is extrapolating to what other people might think, and is a big
              > no-no at BGT. Change this to something like 'A bit heavy' - leave out the
              > 'for some people'

            • R&S Caffin
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                Hi Pete

                > the 109.00 is the BGT HTML writer extending it to decimal places--tell me
                > how to remove and I will
                Um ... you have got me there! Yes, writing for BGT does require some
                computer skills.
                I don't use the Report Writer myself. Being a geek from way back, I just
                write in html.
                You can ask on the BGT help channel on Yahoo, but I forget the name of it.
                Perhaps someone can fill in for me.

                Alternately, you could hack it yourself. When you have created the html
                file, open it with Notepad (assuming Windoze) and look for the '109.00' in
                the file. It will all be pretty self-evident as html is not MS-style
                gibberish. When you have found it, delete the '.00' and save the file with a
                different name. Double-click on that file and it should bring up a plain
                version of your report in your browser, without all the BGT stuff. That will
                let you check it. Then post it to the Test/OwnerReview folder and let me
                know. By keeping the source file unchanged, you can have several goes if
                necessary.

                Caution: once you start getting into the created html file, the
                possibilities expand ... :-)
                But usually it is MUCH safer to do any editing the 'right' way with the
                Report Writer.

                If you have problems, let me know and I will help.

                Cheers
                Roger Caffin
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
                  HI Pete,

                  The yahoo group for BGT upload help that Roger referred to is called BGTFileUploadHelp
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/?yguid=83123535

                  Good luck!
                  Jamie D

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "R&S Caffin" <r.caffin@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Pete
                  >
                  > > the 109.00 is the BGT HTML writer extending it to decimal places--tell me
                  > > how to remove and I will
                  > Um ... you have got me there! Yes, writing for BGT does require some
                  > computer skills.
                  > I don't use the Report Writer myself. Being a geek from way back, I just
                  > write in html.
                  > You can ask on the BGT help channel on Yahoo, but I forget the name of it.
                  > Perhaps someone can fill in for me.
                  >
                  > Alternately, you could hack it yourself. When you have created the html
                  > file, open it with Notepad (assuming Windoze) and look for the '109.00' in
                  > the file. It will all be pretty self-evident as html is not MS-style
                  > gibberish. When you have found it, delete the '.00' and save the file with a
                  > different name. Double-click on that file and it should bring up a plain
                  > version of your report in your browser, without all the BGT stuff. That will
                  > let you check it. Then post it to the Test/OwnerReview folder and let me
                  > know. By keeping the source file unchanged, you can have several goes if
                  > necessary.
                  >
                  > Caution: once you start getting into the created html file, the
                  > possibilities expand ... :-)
                  > But usually it is MUCH safer to do any editing the 'right' way with the
                  > Report Writer.
                  >
                  > If you have problems, let me know and I will help.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Roger Caffin

                • Spagga
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 14, 2012
                    Fixed
                    Posted
                    Reviewed

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Spagga" <chef_pete@...> wrote:

                    > the 109.00 is the BGT HTML wrier extending it to decimal places--tell me how to remove and I will
                    >
                    > other EDIT made
                    >
                    > Please advise
                    > PJ
                    >

                    > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "R&S Caffin" <r.caffin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > EDIT: SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE, Pete Jaworski
                    > >
                    > > Hi Pete
                    > >
                    > > Nearly!
                    > > A couple of little things left over from the last round. Could you fix these
                    > > please and repost the HTML as before, then you should be good.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Roger Caffin
                    > > BGT Editor
                    > > --------------------
                    > > > WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)
                    > > EDIT: round off to 109 kg. I am sure your weight varies from day to day by
                    > > more than 100 g!
                    > >
                    > > > Product Description
                    > > EDIT: make this into a small heading.
                    > >
                    > > > Heavy for some people
                    > > EDIT: this is extrapolating to what other people might think, and is a big
                    > > no-no at BGT. Change this to something like 'A bit heavy' - leave out the
                    > > 'for some people'

                  • Spagga
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14, 2012
                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/SOG%20TECH%20BOWIE/