EDIT: OR - Ursack Minor - Charles Nichols

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 13, 2012
      Hi Charles,

      No worries, I understand time constraints. (But not work constraints right now unfortunately ;-)

      This is looking a lot better. There are still a few edits. (Some I had before, please check them thoroughly). Hopefully this will do it. REPOST and let me check the corrected HTML one more time and if it is good I shall make the permanent folder for your review.

      Ray

      Take a look at your HTML. Look at the picture showing the knot. The period that is supposed to be at the end of "See picture below" ended up under the photo. That needs to be corrected.

      ***I can pack 3 - 4 days of food with no problem and If needed 6 - 7 days of food

      EDIT: no capital I for `if"

      ***It was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never touched by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

      EDIT: we "were there" camping.
    • hikingshoes
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 13, 2012
        Ray,
        Reposting my "OR" and HTML . Thanks,Charles

        http://tinyurl.com/88doohu <http://tinyurl.com/88doohu>

        Ursack Minor
        BY Charles Nichols
        OR
        November 30, 2011

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Charles Nichols
        EMAIL: hikingshoesATyahooDOTcom
        AGE: 48
        LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
        GENDER: m
        HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
        WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

        Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked
        sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina,
        Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee.
        I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. After meeting
        other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of
        my own. My current pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        *Pictured here with and without optional aluminum liner
        *Photo Courtesy of Ursack website
        Manufacturer: Ursack
        "http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm
        <http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm> " LINK TEXT = "www.ursack.com
        <http://www.ursack.com> ">>
        MSRP: US $ 49.95
        Listed Weight: 2.7 oz ( 77 g)
        Measured Weight: 2.6 oz ( 74 g)

        PRODUCT DESCRIPTION :
        Over the years I've used a stuff sack as my food bag along with a zip
        lock bag. I was looking for a food storage bag that would keep my food
        protected from small critters, but not bears. I had a friend who has
        hike the Appalachian Trail twice turned me on to the Ursack Minor. At
        first the food bag was stiff and hard to close the top, but over a
        period of time using the food bag on the trail it became more
        flexible/soft, not to the point that it wouldn't protect my food. I now
        own the Ursack Minor (hereafter referred to as "food bag") for a year
        now, which I love. If you're not familiar with the (Ursack), they're
        made of Kevlar fabric, which is the same fabric that bulletproof vests
        are made of. The food bag has an integrated 4 ft (1.22 m) cord which is
        ran through a channel at the top of the food bag to close the top using
        a double overhand knot. See picture below. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
        "IMAGE 2">> At 8 inches (20 cm) x 13 inches (33 cm) tall the food bag
        holds about 650 cubic inches (10652 cc ) I can pack 3 - 4 days of food
        with no problem and if needed 6 - 7 days of food. Once the food bag is
        packed and secured, I'll hang using the Pacific Crest Trail method or
        I'll tie the food bag to the base of the tree using a figure eight knot,
        because it is easy to untie even after Ursack has been pulled on by a
        500 pound bear (227 kg) per Ursack website.

        FIELD USE

        The Ursack Minor has been with me on numerous backpacking trips like the
        Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness
        in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. Here are just a
        few trips where I have use my Ursack Minor car camping (2-3 days) and
        (3-4 days) backpacking trips.
        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>IMAGE3
        09/05/2010 - Hanging my food bag on the Appalachian Trail (AT). The
        weather was awesome, sunny, nice breezes was blowing and the temperature
        was in the upper 70's F (25 C) and lower 50's F (10 C) at night. After I
        summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I set up camp and had some dinner.
        After dinner I packed my food items in my food bag and headed off the
        summit to find a tree to hang my food bag for the night.
        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">> IMAGE 4
        04/09/2011 - In the picture (IMAGE4) is my Ursack Minor bag attached to
        the picnic table for testing. I normally use the Pacific Crest Trail
        method (PCT method) to hang my food bag, but at the time I wanted to
        test my food bag. It was a very nice night for car camping on the
        Tennessee River in Pickwick, Tennessee. The weather was in the upper
        60's F (18 C) lows in the 50's F (10 C), with a light wind blowing. Once
        I was in bed I heard something outside my tent so I looked out and it
        was the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. After looking for my camera
        and light and making all that noise in the world I would think the
        raccoon would have left. After taking pictures and video for about 15 -
        20 minutes and trying three times to open the food bag he was done. It
        was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never touched
        by the raccoon the entire two days we were there camping.

        SUMMARY

        Overall, I am very pleased with the Ursack Minor. Having seen a raccoon
        try to gnaw its way into the food bag, the Ursack was not compromised.
        The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon. That's what sold
        me on buying this food bag.

        THINGS I LIKE

        *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
        *weight isn't bad
        * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        *The Ursack Minor is not waterproof, but along with a plastic liner,
        sil-nylon, or other method it will keep the food dry.

        SIGNATURE

        Charles Nichols

        Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

        > Hi Charles,
        >
        > No worries, I understand time constraints. (But not work constraints
        right now unfortunately ;-)

        > This is looking a lot better. There are still a few edits. (Some I had
        before, please check them thoroughly). Hopefully this will do it. REPOST
        and let me check the corrected HTML one more time and if it is good I
        shall make the permanent folder for your review.

        > Ray
        >

        > Take a look at your HTML. Look at the picture showing the knot. The
        period that is supposed to be at the end of "See picture below" ended up
        under the photo. That needs to be corrected.

        > ***I can pack 3 - 4 days of food with no problem and If needed 6 - 7
        days of food

        > EDIT: no capital I for `if"
        >

        > ***It was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never
        touched by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

        > EDIT: we "were there" camping.

      • Ray
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
          OK Charles, let's finish this up. Looking at the HTML I find just one more problem. But fix it and then go ahead and upload the corrected version to:

          Reviews > Cook Gear > Bear Resistant Containers > Ursack Minor
          Or: http://tinyurl.com/87rzx5r

          Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload File", be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

          Now take what we have gone through on this review and apply it towards writing your next one. One down, one to go.

          Ray

          EDIT: Look at your Things I Like section.

          *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
          *weight isn't bad
          * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

          Capitalize "Weight" so it matches the other bullet lines and remove the space before "It" so that line matches the others too.
        • chuck nichols
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
            Ray,
             This is my second OR. Thanks,Charles

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
              Ah, in that case,

              As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
              Agreement, for which see:

              that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

              You will also need to join:

              This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

              However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

              Congratulations!
            • chuck nichols
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                Ray,
                Thanks for all the help!!! I mailed my BGT
                Agreement2012.doc  about 2 - 3 months ago. I'd like to do some more OR's and test gear as well, if thats ok? I think i still need alittle more work. I think the more i do OR's or test gear the better i'll get. Once again a big thank you for your time and help. Thanks Charles

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                  Tester agreement has been received - you are ready to GO!

                  Congratulations!
                  Kathy

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                    Kathy,
                    Thanks for the warm welcome ..Thanks, Charles