Re: EDIT: OR - Ursack Minor - Charles Nichols

  • hikingshoes
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 12, 2012
      Ray,
      Here is my edit "OR " and my HTML. Please keep in mind im working 6/10's
      so dont think Im not wanting to finish. Thanks, Charles

      http://tinyurl.com/88doohu <http://tinyurl.com/88doohu>

      Ursack Minor
      BY Charles Nichols
      OR
      November 30, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Charles Nichols
      EMAIL: hikingshoesATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

      Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked
      sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina,
      Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee.
      I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. After meeting
      other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of
      my own. My current pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      *Pictured here with and without optional aluminum liner
      *Photo Courtesy of Ursack website
      Manufacturer: Ursack
      "http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm
      <http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm> " LINK TEXT = "www.ursack.com
      <http://www.ursack.com> ">>
      MSRP: US $ 49.95
      Listed Weight: 2.7 oz ( 77 g)
      Measured Weight: 2.6 oz ( 74 g)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION :
      Over the years I've used a stuff sack as my food bag along with a zip
      lock bag. I was looking for a food storage bag that would keep my food
      protected from small critters, but not bears. I had a friend who has
      hike the Appalachian Trail twice turned me on to the Ursack Minor. At
      first the food bag was stiff and hard to close the top, but over a
      period of time using the food bag on the trail it became more
      flexible/soft, not to the point that it wouldn't protect my food. I now
      own the Ursack Minor (hereafter referred to as "food bag") for a year
      now, which I love. If you're not familiar with the (Ursack), they're
      made of Kevlar fabric, which is the same fabric that bulletproof vests
      are made of. The food bag has an integrated 4 ft (1.22 m) cord which is
      ran through a channel at the top of the food bag to close the top using
      a double overhand knot. See picture below <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
      "IMAGE 2">>. At 8 inches (20 cm) x 13 inches (33 cm) tall the food bag
      holds about 650 cubic inches (10652 cc ) I can pack 3 - 4 days of food
      with no problem and If needed 6 - 7 days of food. Once the food bag is
      packed and secured, I'll hang using the Pacific Crest Trail method or
      I'll tie the food bag to the base of the tree using a figure eight knot,
      because it is easy to untie even after Ursack has been pulled on by a
      500 pound bear (227 kg) per Ursack website.

      FIELD USE

      The Ursack Minor has been with me on numerous backpacking trips like the
      Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness
      in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. Here are just a
      few trips where I have use my Ursack Minor car camping (2-3 days) and
      (3-4 days) backpacking trips.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>IMAGE3
      09/05/2010 - Hanging my food bag on the Appalachian Trail (AT). The
      weather was awesome, sunny, nice breezes was blowing and the temperature
      was in the upper 70's F (25 C) and lower 50's F (10 C) at night. After I
      summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I set up camp and had some dinner.
      After dinner I packed my food items in my food bag and headed off the
      summit to find a tree to hang my food bag for the night.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">> IMAGE 4
      04/09/2011 - In the picture (IMAGE4) is my Ursack Minor bag attached to
      the picnic table for testing. I normally use the Pacific Crest Trail
      method (PCT method) to hang my food bag, but at the time I wanted to
      test my food bag. It was a very nice night for car camping on the
      Tennessee River in Pickwick, Tennessee. The weather was in the upper
      60's F (18 C) lows in the 50's F (10 C), with a light wind blowing. Once
      I was in bed I heard something outside my tent so I looked out and it
      was the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. After looking for my camera
      and light and making all that noise in the world I would think the
      raccoon would have left. After taking pictures and video for about 15 -
      20 minutes and trying three times to open the food bag he was done. It
      was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never touched
      by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I am very pleased with the Ursack Minor. Having seen a raccoon
      try to gnaw its way into the food bag, the Ursack was not compromised.
      The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon. That's what sold
      me on buying this food bag.

      THINGS I LIKE

      *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
      *weight isn't bad
      * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      *The Ursack Minor is not waterproof, but along with a plastic liner,
      sil-nylon, or other method it will keep the food dry.

      SIGNATURE

      Charles Nichols

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

      > Hello Charles,
      >
      > We still have a long way to go here. I would like to suggest that you
      use a spell checker before posting your reviews. Most of these edits
      would be caught beforehand if you did so making both our jobs a lot
      simpler. Same deal as before. Please make the corrections and repost
      here, placing a new version in the test folder too.

      > Ray
      >

      > *** I was looking for a food bag that was safe for critters and not so
      much bears.

      > EDIT: it keeps your food safe from critters. It is not safe for
      critters. I would say, I was looking for a food storage bag that would
      keep my food protected from small critters, but not bears.

      > ***I had a friend whos hike the Appalachian trail twice turned me on
      to the Ursack Minor.

      > EDIT: I had a friend who has hiked the Appalachian Trail turn me on to
      the Ursack Minor.

      > *** but over a period of time using the food bag on the trail it
      became more flexable/soft,

      > EDIT: flexible
      >

      > ***not to the point that it wouldnt protect my food.
      >
      > EDIT: wouldn't
      >

      > *** they're made out of Kevlar fabric, which is the same fabric that
      bullproof vests are made of

      > EDIT: bulletproof
      >

      > ***The food bag has a intergrated 4ft (1.22m) cord
      >
      > EDIT: The food bag has "an integrated 4 ft (1.22 m)" cord (spelling
      and spacing issues here.)

      > ***At 8 inches (20m) x 13 inches (33m) tall
      >
      > EDIT: please put a space before the abbreviations, plus it is cm, not
      m (20 cm)

      > *** Once the food bag is packed and secured,I'll hang using the
      Pacific Crest Trail method

      > EDIT: need a space after the comma
      >

      > *** because it is easy to untie even after Ursack has been pulled on
      by a 500 pound bear per Ursack website.

      > EDIT: need the metric conversion for the bear's weight
      >

      > *** The weather was awesome,sunny,nice breezes was blowing and the
      temperture was in the upper 70's F (21.11c) and lower 50's F (10 c)

      > EDIT: need spaces after the commas, spelling on "temperature" plus the
      abbreviation for Celsius is a capital C. Also the upper 70's F would be
      25 C Also please round up to a whole number on the temps, no decimal
      places.

      > *** After I summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I setup camp had some
      dinner.

      > EDIT: After I summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I "set up camp and"
      had some dinner.

      > *** It was a very nice night for car camping on the Tennessee River in
      Pickwick, Tennesse.

      > EDIT: Tennessee (missing one e)
      >

      > ***What is funny the trash bag hanging up in the back ground the
      raccoon never tough it for the two days we was their camping.

      > EDIT: This sentence is a mess. Try: It was funny that the trash bag
      hanging up in the background was never touched by the raccoon during the
      entire two days we were there camping.

      > *** Having seen a raccoon try to gnaw there way into the food bag,
      >
      > EDIT: Having seen a raccoon try to gnaw "its" way into the food bag
      (If it was more than one you could have said "their")

      > ***The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon.Thats what
      sold me on

      > EDIT: Need a space after the period plus it is spelled "That's"
      >

      > *** It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus it will hold me cook
      pot too.

      > EDIT: hold "my" cook pot
      >

      > *** Some National Park Service want let us use the Ursack Minor so
      check the regulations in your area.

      > EDIT: please just delete this line. I understand what you are trying
      to say but the readers will find what the regulations are for their own
      areas.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 13, 2012
        Hi Charles,

        No worries, I understand time constraints. (But not work constraints right now unfortunately ;-)

        This is looking a lot better. There are still a few edits. (Some I had before, please check them thoroughly). Hopefully this will do it. REPOST and let me check the corrected HTML one more time and if it is good I shall make the permanent folder for your review.

        Ray

        Take a look at your HTML. Look at the picture showing the knot. The period that is supposed to be at the end of "See picture below" ended up under the photo. That needs to be corrected.

        ***I can pack 3 - 4 days of food with no problem and If needed 6 - 7 days of food

        EDIT: no capital I for `if"

        ***It was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never touched by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

        EDIT: we "were there" camping.
      • hikingshoes
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 13, 2012
          Ray,
          Reposting my "OR" and HTML . Thanks,Charles

[...]

          by the raccoon the entire two days we were there camping.

          SUMMARY

          Overall, I am very pleased with the Ursack Minor. Having seen a raccoon
          try to gnaw its way into the food bag, the Ursack was not compromised.
          The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon. That's what sold
          me on buying this food bag.

          THINGS I LIKE

          *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
          *weight isn't bad
          * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

          THINGS I DON'T LIKE

          *The Ursack Minor is not waterproof, but along with a plastic liner,
          sil-nylon, or other method it will keep the food dry.

          SIGNATURE

          Charles Nichols

          Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

          > Hi Charles,
          >
          > No worries, I understand time constraints. (But not work constraints
          right now unfortunately ;-)

          > This is looking a lot better. There are still a few edits. (Some I had
          before, please check them thoroughly). Hopefully this will do it. REPOST
          and let me check the corrected HTML one more time and if it is good I
          shall make the permanent folder for your review.

          > Ray
          >

          > Take a look at your HTML. Look at the picture showing the knot. The
          period that is supposed to be at the end of "See picture below" ended up
          under the photo. That needs to be corrected.

          > ***I can pack 3 - 4 days of food with no problem and If needed 6 - 7
          days of food

          > EDIT: no capital I for `if"
          >

          > ***It was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never
          touched by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

          > EDIT: we "were there" camping.

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
            OK Charles, let's finish this up. Looking at the HTML I find just one more problem. But fix it and then go ahead and upload the corrected version to:

            Reviews > Cook Gear > Bear Resistant Containers > Ursack Minor
            Or: http://tinyurl.com/87rzx5r

            Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload File", be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

            Now take what we have gone through on this review and apply it towards writing your next one. One down, one to go.

            Ray

            EDIT: Look at your Things I Like section.

            *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
            *weight isn't bad
            * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

            Capitalize "Weight" so it matches the other bullet lines and remove the space before "It" so that line matches the others too.
          • chuck nichols
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
              Ray,
               This is my second OR. Thanks,Charles

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                Ah, in that case,

                As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
                Agreement, for which see:

                that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

                You will also need to join:

                This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

                However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

                Congratulations!
              • chuck nichols
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                  Ray,
                  Thanks for all the help!!! I mailed my BGT
                  Agreement2012.doc  about 2 - 3 months ago. I'd like to do some more OR's and test gear as well, if thats ok? I think i still need alittle more work. I think the more i do OR's or test gear the better i'll get. Once again a big thank you for your time and help. Thanks Charles

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                    Tester agreement has been received - you are ready to GO!

                    Congratulations!
                    Kathy

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                      Kathy,
                      Thanks for the warm welcome ..Thanks, Charles