  • Frances
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2012
      February 06, 2012

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 55
      LOCATION: Costa Mesa, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for four years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My daypack weight is usually 15 lb [7 kg] and my backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb [13-14 kg]. I am a tent camper and have experienced snow camp once, all night rain twice and heavy winds but mostly fair weather.

      Manufacturer: Injinji
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.injinji.com/">>
      MSRP: US$10.00
      Model: Lightweight Crew Toesocks
      Color: Black [also available in Heather Gray]
      Materials: 75% CoolMax polyester, 22% nylon and 3% spandex
      Size: Women's Medium [Size S-XL available]

      Types of toesocks available:
      Lightweight, Original Weight, Midweight, Ex-celerator Compression Toesock in the Performance Series, the Outdoor Series and the Yoga Series. This review will only address the lightweight crew length toesocks from the Performance Series.

      Description: Individual anatomic toe sleeves form a thin anti-blister membrane between toes to eliminate skin-against-skin friction. 2-ply construction prevents sock movement and increases wicking and circulation. Precisely stitched heels deter bunching and help provide a comfortable fit and easy layering. Double-layered welt top maintains shape for long-lasting performance and support. The toesocks wick moisture, dry quickly and breathe well. Nylon is added for durability. The toesocks can be used as a liner under a traditional hiking sock or worn alone.

      For the entire four years I have been hiking and backpacking, I have developed blisters on my feet, specifically between my toes, on the outside edge of my little toes, the bottoms of each toe that slid under the toe next to it while hiking, and the outside edges of my heels. I tried every thickness of sock available, including traditional liner socks alone, liner socks under all thicknesses of hiking socks, and expedition weight very thick hiking socks, in an effort to find a solution to my blister problem. I tried these toesocks as a last ditch effort to try anything that might help my blister problem. I was extremely relieved that I didn't get a blister the first time I used them. I have not developed blisters since using these toesocks as liner socks under medium weight hiking socks. I wear the crew length toesocks because I prefer wearing high top hiking boots and socks. These toesocks come in various heights, including no-show, mini crew and crew.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "both toesocks">>

      I have worn these toesocks as liner socks for the past year of hiking and backpacking on 2-3 day trips most weekends and on my 5-day summer trips. I have not developed blisters while wearing these toesocks. They take a little practice to be sure each individual toe is placed correctly. I have been careful to place the seam on the top of my hiking socks above my little toe for the most comfortable fit. I am specifically impressed by the lack of wear.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Close-up showing no wear">>

      The lightweight, wicking material keeps my feet comfortable and dry.
      The toesocks stay in place once placed on my feet with no slipping or bunching under my hiking socks.
      I have worn these toesocks for 3 days in a row and they felt just as comfortable as the first day of the trip.
      After a year of use almost every weekend and on longer trips, the socks show no wear.

      They take a few extra moments to be sure the toesocks are placed on each individual toe correctly, but well worth the extra effort.
      The removal process takes a few extra moments to be sure the individual toes of the socks are removed carefully and not turned inside out.
      Other than having to take a few extra moments to be careful not to tear the individual toes, there isn't anything I don't like about these toesocks.

      Frances Penn
      E-mail: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.