QWNER REVIEW-- SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE

  • chef_pete@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE
      BY PETE JAWORSKI
      OR
      January 31, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Pete Jaworski
      EMAIL: chef_pete@...
      AGE: 40
      LOCATION: Frisco, TX, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.08 m)
      WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)

      I have been a hiker, camper and climber since my childhood (7/8 years old). Most of my experience is weekend and occasional week long treks on the Appalachian Trail (NJ/PA north to Maine). In Texas I encounter more temperate and low altitude camping. Depending on climate and terrain, I will pack anywhere between minimalist (20 lbs or less) to a heavy pack (50 lbs plus) with many creature comforts.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools, LLC
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sogknives.com/
      MSRP: US$ 207.00
      Listed Weight: 11.2 oz (317.51g)
      Actual Weight: 10.9 oz (308g) Knife only

      Other details:
      Kydex Sheath Included
      Sheath Weight: 3.6oz (102g)
      Blade Length/ Width: 6.4" x .24" (16.3cm x 6.1mm)
      Actual Length/ Width: 6.4" x .24" (16.3cm x 6.1mm)
      Actual Cutting Edge: 5.5" (13.97cm)
      Overall Length 11" (27.9cm)
      Edge: Straight
      Steel: AUS 8
      HRC : 57-58
      Handle: Kraton
      Finish Hard cased Black TiNi
      Country of Origin Taiwan

      SOG Warranty Information

      All SOG products are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original purchaser. This guarantee is voided (as determined by SOG) by misuse, abuse, improper maintenance, or alterations of the product and does not cover any normal wear or tear that might occur. Using your SOG folding blade or fixed blade knife for any purpose other than cutting or puncturing is considered abuse and may void your warranty.

      Product Description
      The Tech Bowie - Black TiNi (hereafter referred to as the "knife" or "Bowie") Is a single edge fixed blade tool. The blade is hard cased in black TiNi so as to not reflect light. The knife is full tanged, meaning that the metal continues through the full length of the handle. The handle has 3/16' (4.762mm) hole in the steel end of the handle, This can be used as an attachment point for a lanyard or other type survival rope. The SOG Insignia and Tech Bowie Name are etched (in white) in to the left side of the blade and TIWAN on right the handle has SOG specialty knives relief printed into the handle on both sides.

      The Kydex Sheath (hereafter referred to as the "sheath") is a hard plastic type material. It has the SOG name Stamped through the edge end, and multiple attachment points for lashing to gear and MOLE. There is a flexible snap closure that connects around the knife handle and keeps it secured in the sheath. The sheath also has a belt loop attachment so it can be worn on the hip.

      This knife was purchased in the fall of 2010 and has traveled with me on every hiking trip, camping outing and day hike excursion I have ever gone on. I usually keep this knife on my person (when not at work) or in my vehicle.

      The knife was shipped in sheath in SOG Logo box with paper wrapping with a fixed blade product information brochure, including maintenance instructions and warranty information. The blade was extremely sharp coming out of the box and ready to use.

      FIELD USE

      I use this knife in altitudes between -75' (-22.86m) below sea level to over 8000 Feet (2438m). Temperatures have ranged -3 °F (-19 °C) to over 110 °F (43 °C). Conditions have been full sun, rain, heavy fog, thunderstorms, freezing rain and snow storms. It has been in desert conditions in Big Bend National Park to Blizzard conditions on Mount Washington Maine

      The knife has been used to field dress deer and other game, filet fish, open cans and live shellfish. It has been extensively used to cut: wood, climbing rope, accessory cord and webbing, hair, clothing, brush (live and dead vegetation), branches, plastic (Cable Ties), paper and cardboard, duct tape, and my hand (once, and it performed extraordinarily well at that).

      This knife has also been used several times as a wood splitter in conjunction with a larger wood log/branch as a hammer (Not recommended by manufacturer), as a pry tool for separating wood (not recommended by manufacturer). Several times as a digging tool for cat holes (also NOT recommended by manufacturer). It has been lashed to the end of wood and used as a fishing spear (no recommendation by manufacturer). It has once or twice been thrown at trees and plywood (again not recommended by manufacturer). The knife has also been stabbed into logs, picnic tables and sheet rock. It has also been used to lift Dutch Ovens from fire pits and as a general cooking tool.

      I have sharpened this knife several times using a wet stone and/or tri stone combination and am able to refresh the blade using a burr steel from time to time. The blade does not have any knicks/notches or obvious damage and the Black TiNi coating has held up very well through heavy usage.

      .

      SUMMARY

      Over all I am very impressed with the quality of the blade and how long it keeps and edge, considering the rigors and amount of use it does get. The knife is heavy, part of the reason I bought it, I wanted a "meaty" blade to hold up to use and often abuse. This knife has outperformed other fixed blades I have owned in the past by far.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Pros:
      Hard blade
      Holds a great edge for a long time
      Optional accessories available

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      I did become disenchanted with the stock sheath and decided to upgrade to the Seal Team Nylon Sheath ($25.00 US). This gave me the same attachment and belt loop capabilities but added a Velcro closure over the handle and exterior Velcro pouch for the stowage of a multi-tool.

      Cons:
      Heavy for some people

      SIGNATURE

      Pete Jaworski