OR - Outward Hound No-Spill Port-A-Bowl - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2012
      Here is my first one of this year! I will try to get more pictures in before we are done with the editing process. Thanks in advance for your time! HTML at: http://tinyurl.com/6rh6m5p

      Outward Hound No-Spill Port-A-Bowl
      Owner Review by Alex Legg
      February 5, 2012

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lbs (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies.  I hike ranges near Tucson, Arizona during winter, Colorado during summer.  I carry a light pack, mostly water.  I tend to camp with a tarp whenever possible to reduce the weight of my two person tent.  Primarily I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out.  Temperatures range from extreme winter to 100 F (38 C), and elevation from 2000' (600 m) to 14,000' (4,300 m).  I bag a mountain every weekend, and walk my dogs daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Product Information and Specifications:
      Manufacturer: Outward Hound
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Actual Weight: 78 g (2.7 0Z)
      Color: Red Clay/Java
      Available Colors: Ice Blue/Elephant, Red Clay/Java
      MSRP: US $3.53

      Product Description:
      The Outward Hound No-Spill Port-A-Bowl is a collapsible bow that I use for convenient feeding and watering of my dogs while on the trail, the side of the road, or anywhere else that we find ourselves without a regular dog dish.The outside of the bowl is a black shade with a red stripe that circles the bowl through the middle. The Outward Hound logo is printed on a leather patch and sewn into the red stripe in the middle of the bowl. It features a drawstring near the opening that can be used to secure food, water, or treats inside the bowl while we are on the move. It stands about 5 in (13 cm) tall with a diameter of about 4 in (10.2 cm). It can be collapsed to about 1 in by 5.5 in (14 cm) long. The bowl has a firm inner lining that allows it to keep its shape while in use. It also has a waterproof lining that provides complete leak proof performance.

      Field Conditions:
      This bowl accompanies us on daily walks of about 4 miles (6.4 km) through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes. The elevation is at around 2,000 ft (610 m), and the temperature ranges from 60 F (16 C)to 110 F (43 C) depending on the time on year and time of day.
      The bowl has taken multiple trips in the Santa Rita mountain range south of Tucson. The elevation in the range is from around 5,000 ft (1,524 m) to 9,453 ft (2,881 m), and temperatures range from freezing to near 100 F (38 C) depending on the time of year and time of day.
      I have also taken this dog bowl on many ventures into Pike National Forest in Colorado. Elevation has ranged from around 6,000 ft (1,829 m) to 12,000 ft (3,658 m), and temperatures from freezing to around 80 F (27 C) depending on the time of year and time of day.

      Performance:
      This dog bowl has become the second most important item to remember while out with my dogs. The first important is obviously the water that I fill the bowl with. The bowl stands up well while filled with water, even in the car as long as I'm not on a 4 wheel drive road. I like that I can pull the drawstring to keep the leftover water from spilling out when I stuff the bowl into my pocket. I have never noticed anything leaking out through the waterproof material, and the bowl has held its shape after being rolled and stuffed into a million different positions in my pockets and in my packs. It is very lightweight and easy to forget about while stowed away. I like this bowl and so do my dogs. When they see me pull it out on the trail they both want to be my best friend.

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2012
          Hi Alex,

          You get me yet again, at least you have the drill down well. ;-)

          If you plan to add pictures you need to do it now if you want this completed this week. Otherwise we can just put it on hold for two weeks after I get back from a hiking trip.

          Go ahead and repost once you are ready,

          Ray

          EDIT: your picture from the manufacturer's web-site needs to be credited to them.

          ***Manufacturer: Outward Hound

          EDIT: their name is My Outward Hound

          ***Actual Weight: 78 g (2.7 0Z)

          EDIT: 2.7 oz (no caps)

          *** The outside of the bowl is a black shade with a red stripe that circles the bowl through the middle.

          Edit: what is it made of? Most likely nylon, right?

          *** It features a drawstring near the opening that can be used to secure food, water, or treats inside the bowl while we are on the move.

          Comment: does the drawstring have a way to keep it in the closed position, like a cord lock or sliding lock? These are the kinds of things people want to know that they can't get from the web site. Heck I want to know and I don't even have a dog.

          ***The bowl has a firm inner lining that allows it to keep its shape while in use. It also has a waterproof lining that provides complete leak proof performance.

          EDIT: this says it has two separate linings. Does it? Or does it have a firm waterproof lining? I am guessing some sort of heavy denier coated nylon.

          ***The elevation is at around 2,000 ft (610 m),

          EDIT: delete "at"

          ***This dog bowl has become the second most important item to remember while out with my dogs. The first important is the water that I fill the bowl with.

          EDIT: The first is the water that I fill the bowl with. (Or you can say, Of most import is… or, the most important thing is…)