OWNER REVIEW --- SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2012
      SOG TECH BOWIE FIXED BLADE KNIFE

      BY PETE JAWORSKI

      OR

      January 31, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Pete Jaworski

      EMAIL: chef_pete@...

      AGE: 40

      LOCATION: Frisco, TX, USA

      GENDER: M

      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.08 m)

      WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)

      I have been a hiker, camper and climber since my childhood (7/8 years old).
      Most of my experience is weekend and occasional week long treks on the
      Appalachian Trail (NJ/PA north to Maine). In Texas I encounter more
      temperate and low altitude camping. Depending on climate and terrain, I
      will pack anywhere between minimalist (20 lbs or less) to a heavy pack (50
      lbs plus) with many creature comforts.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools, LLC

      Year of Manufacture: 2010

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sogknives.com/

      MSRP: US$ 207.00

      Listed Weight: 11.2 oz (317.51g)

      Actual Weight: 10.9 oz (308g) Knife only

      Other details:

      Kydex Sheath Included

      Sheath Weight: 3.6oz (102g)

      Blade Length/ Width: 6.4" x .24" (16.3cm x 6.1mm)

      Actual Length/ Width: 6.4" x .24" (16.3cm x 6.1mm)

      Actual Cutting Edge: 5.5" (13.97cm)

      Overall Length 11" (27.9cm)

      Edge: Straight

      Steel: AUS 8

      HRC : 57-58

      Handle: Kraton

      Finish Hardcased Black TiNi

      Country of Origin Taiwan

      SOG Warranty Information

      All SOG products are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials
      for the life of the original purchaser. This guarantee is voided (as
      determined by SOG) by misuse, abuse, improper maintenance, or alterations of
      the product and does not cover any normal wear or tear that might occur.
      Using your SOG folding blade or fixed blade knife for any purpose other than
      cutting or puncturing is considered abuse and may void your warranty.

      Product Description

      The Tech Bowie - Black TiNi (hereafter refered to as the "knife" or "Bowie")
      Is a single edge fixed blade tool. The blade is hardcased in black TiNi so
      as to not reflect light. The knife is full tanged, meaning that the metal
      continues throught the fulllength of the handle. The handle has 3/16'
      (4.762mm) hole in the steel end of the handle, This can be used as an
      attachment point for a lanyard or other type survival rope. The SOG
      Insignia and Tech Bowie Name are etched (in white) in to the lefft side of
      the blade and TIWAN on right the handle has SOG speciality knives releif
      printed into the handle on both sides.

      The Kydex Sheath (hearafter refered to as the "sheath") is a hard plastic
      type material. It has the SOG name Stamped through the edge end, and
      multiple attachement points for lashing to gear and MOLE. There is a
      flexable snap closure that connects around the knife handle and keeps it
      secured in the sheath. The sheath also has a belt loop attachement so it
      can be worn on the hip.

      FIELD USE

      This knife was purchased in the fall of 2010 and has traveled with me on
      every hiking trip, camping outing and day hike excursion I have ever gone
      on. I usually keep this knife on my person (when not at work) or in my
      vehicle.

      The knife was shipped in sheath in SOG Logo box with paper wrapping with a
      fixed blade product information brochure, including maintenance instructions
      and warranty information. The blade was extremely sharp coming out of the
      box and ready to use.

      I use this knife in altitudes between -75' (-22.86m) below sea level to over
      8000 Feet (2438m). Temperatures have ranged -3 °F (-19 °C) to over 110 °F
      (43 °C). Conditions have been full sun, rain, heavy fog, thunderstorms,
      freezing rain and snow storms. It has been in desert conditions in Big Bend
      National Park to Blizzard conditions on Mount Washington Maine

      The knife has been used to field dress deer and other game, filet fish, open
      cans and live shellfish. It has been extensively used to cut: wood,
      climbing rope, accessory cord and webbing, hair, clothing, brush (live and
      dead vegetation), branches, plastic (Cable Ties), paper and cardboard, duct
      tape, and my hand (once, and it performed extraordinarily well at that).

      This knife has also been used several times as a wood splitter in
      conjunction with a larger wood log/branch as a hammer (Not recommended by
      manufacturer), as a pry tool for separating wood (not recommended by
      manufacturer). Several times as a digging tool for cat holes (also NOT
      recommended by manufacturer). It has been lashed to the end of wood and
      used as a fishing spear (no recommendation by manufacturer). It has once or
      twice been thrown at trees and plywood (again not recommended by
      manufacturer). The knife has also been stabbed into logs, picnic tables and
      sheetrock. It has also been used to lift Dutch Ovens from fire pits and as
      a general cooking tool.

      I have sharpened this knife several times using a wet stone and/or tri
      stone combination and am able to refresh the blade using a burr steel from
      time to time. The blade does not have any knicks/notches or obvious damage
      and the Black TiNi coating has held up very well through heavy usage.

      .

      SUMMARY

      Over all I am very impressed with the quality of the blade and how long it
      keeps and edge, considering the rigors and amount of use it does get. The
      knife is heavy, part of the reason I bought it, I wanted a "meaty" blade to
      hold up to use and often abuse. This knife has outperformed other fixed
      blades I have owned in the past by far.

      THINGS I LIKE

      I did become disenchanted with the stock sheath and decided to upgrade to
      the seal team nylon sheath ($25.00 US) this gave me the same attachment and
      belt loop capabilities but added a Velcro closure over the handle and
      exterior Velcro pouch for the stowage of a multi tool.

      Pros:

      Hard blade

      Holds a great edge for a long time

      Optional accessories available