Revised OR - Coleman Dual Fuel Stove - Jason Wendel

  • campwscouts
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
      NAME: Jason Wendel
      EMAIL: campingwscouts@...
      AGE: 34
      LOCATION: Utah
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking for over 20 years, starting as a scout, and now as a scout leader. I enjoy taking boy scouts on monthly campouts and challenging their abilities and mine. I typically carry a 40-45 pound pack for a week long trip, and a 25-30 lb for an overnighter.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Coleman
      Year of Manufacture:
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3000000792&categoryid=2020&brand=" LINK TEXT = "Website">>
      MSRP: US$69.99
      Listed Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
      Measured Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
      Other details: Burns White Gas or Unleaded Fuel
      # of Campout Nights used: 20+

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Coleman Dual Fuel 533">>
      I have used the Coleman Dual Fuel 533 on many backpacking trips ranging from an over nighter to a week long trip near Kings Peak in Utah. Usually on overnighters I am with 6-10 boy scouts and we can get by with just the fuel in the stove if I fill it before I go (if we have one other stove as well). On longer trips I bring a MSR Fuel bottle and can make it last for a whole week. (it holds 1.1 Liters of fuel)

      I have used this stove on backpacking trips up to 13,000 feet in elevation, and in temperatures down to the single digits (F). I have never had a problem with it's function or use.

      I like to cut weight wherever I can, but I would rather use this bulkier stove than a lightweight canister type stove for a few reasons. I have used a canister type stove when it was pretty cold and at a high elevation and it wouldn't use up all the fuel in the canister. It's also hard to tell how much fuel is left in the canister. With the Coleman Dual Fuel 533 I can easily fill it up with fuel before a trip and know that I can make it. With a canister, it's hard to tell how much is in a used canister so you either risk it by taking it, or you take a spare that you don't need, or you buy a new one for each trip (resulting in many half empty bottles in your garage).

      SUMMARY

      I would recommend this stove to anyone who wants a durable, well built and useful backpacking stove. I wouldn't recommend it if you are trying to do ultralight backpacking as it is on the heavy side.

      THINGS I LIKE

      With a few quick instructions I can teach a scout how to use it effectively and properly.
      It's durable and holds up to quite a bit of abuse.

      It runs on White Gas or Unleaded Gas, which both are easy to buy, and both burn well at low temperatures (I've tried using a propane stove on a snowcave campout and quickly found that the propane doesn't come out of the tank when it's below freezing, white gas works great).

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      It is heavy, and bulky.

      It has no legs. So when it is used on uneven ground, you have to either dig in a level spot, or build one up. Flexible legs would allow it to be used in more locations easier.

      The plunger on the pump is made out of rubber. I have had a few coleman stoves and after I had one dry up and crack (making it useless), I have replaced them all with leather plungers. They hold the oil better and create a better seal.

      SIGNATURE

      Jason Wendel
      <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://campingwithscouts.blogspot.com/" LINK TEXT = "Check out my blog on camping with scouts">>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2012
          Hello Jason,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          We don't suggest making something like a stove (or backpack, shelter, GPS, etc) your first review as they really have a lot that needs to be discussed. I will go ahead and start the process with this, but if you would like to begin with an easier item just post that you would like to put this on hold.

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          Ray

          First thing you need is a title. It should be: Coleman Dual Fuel 533 Stove

          ***EMAIL: campingwscouts@...

          Comment: you may want to "disguise" your email address to keep it from being harvested by spammers. I do rayestrella AT hotmail DOT com

          ***LOCATION: Utah

          EDIT: we need a bit more than this. While you don't have to put your city if you don't want, at least put the area (north western Utah) and USA

          *** I enjoy taking boy scouts on monthly campouts

          EDIT: Boy Scouts (needs caps)

          *** I typically carry a 40-45 pound pack for a week long trip, and a 25-30 lb for an overnighter.

          EDIT: all numbers need the metric conversions. Plus if you use lb for one use it for both. "Week-long" needs a hyphen

          ***Manufacturer: Coleman

          EDIT: it is actually The Coleman Company, Inc.

          ***Year of Manufacture:

          EDIT: this is missing. If you don't know the year change it to year of purchase and list that.

          ***Manufacturer's Website:http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3000000792&cate\
          goryid=2020&brand=

          EDIT: we link to the top-level URL only, so in this case http://www.coleman.com

          ***MSRP: US$69.99

          EDIT: where are you getting this MSRP? I see it as $79.99

          ***Listed Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)

          EDIT: where are you getting this info?

          ***Other details: Burns White Gas or Unleaded Fuel

          EDIT: OK, here is where you will need to take some time. You need a product description section explain just what all this stove is. Take a look at some other stove reviews and reports for examples of what we are looking for. There is a lot to talk about.

          ***I have used the Coleman Dual Fuel 533 on many backpacking trips ranging from an over nighter to a week long trip near Kings Peak in Utah.

          EDIT: from "overnighters" to a "week-long trip" near Kings Peak in Utah.

          ***Usually on overnighters I am with 6-10 boy scouts

          EDIT: Boy Scouts

          ***On longer trips I bring a MSR Fuel bottle and can make it last for a whole week.

          EDIT: the first time you use a brand name abbreviation the full name needs to be used with the abbreviation in parenthesis. (This applies to state names too.)

          ***(it holds 1.1 Liters of fuel)

          EDIT: Capitalize "It" plus it needs the Imperial conversion (ounces). This is info that should be in the product description.

          ***I have used this stove on backpacking trips up to 13,000 feet in elevation, and
          in temperatures down to the single digits (F).

          EDIT: all numbers, weights, temps, volumes, etc. need the metric conversions. A great one can be found here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

          ***I have never had a problem with it's function or use.

          EDIT: its

          ***It's also hard to tell how much fuel is left in the canister. With the Coleman Dual Fuel 533 I can easily fill it up with fuel before a trip and know that I can make it. With a canister, it's hard to tell how much is in a used canister so you either risk it by taking it, or you take a spare that you don't need, or you buy a new one for each trip (resulting in many half empty bottles in your garage).

          EDIT: you need to rewrite this to put it all in the first person. As it is right now you are projecting your thoughts on the reader. Here is my canned explanation.

          Projection

          "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

          This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

          We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

          "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."
          So you need to say, It's also hard "for me" to tell how much fuel is left in the canister. And change all the "you" and "your"s to "I" and "me"

          *** I wouldn't recommend it if you are trying to do ultralight backpacking as it is on the heavy side.

          EDIT: we just talk about how the gear works for us, not if we think it will or won't work for others. Please remove this.

          *** So when it is used on uneven ground, you have to either dig in

          EDIT: the "you" thing again.

          *** I have had a few coleman stoves and after I had one dry up and crack (making it useless), I have replaced them all with leather plungers. They hold the oil better and create a better seal.

          EDIT: "Coleman", and this is good information and really should be in the main body of the review