Owner Review, Coleman Dual Fuel 533 Stove, Jason Wendel

  • Scout Camper
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
      This is my first owner review.

      -Jason Wendel

      ----------

      COLEMAN DUAL FUEL 533 STOVE
      BY JASON WENDEL
      OR
      December 20, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jason Wendel
      EMAIL: campingwscouts@...
      AGE: 34
      LOCATION: Utah
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking for 20 years, starting as a scout, and now as a scout leader. I enjoy taking boy scouts on monthly campouts and challenging their abilities and mine. I typically carry a 40-45 pound pack for a week long trip, and a 25-30 lb for an overnighter.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Coleman
      Year of Manufacture:
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3000000792&categoryid=2020&brand=" LINK TEXT = "Website">>
      MSRP: US$69.99
      Listed Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
      Measured Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
      Other details: Burns White Gas or Unleaded Fuel

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Coleman Dual Fuel 533">>
      I have used the Coleman Dual Fuel 533 on many backpacking trips ranging from an over nighter to a week long trip near Kings Peak in Utah. Usually on overnighters I am with 6-10 boy scouts and we can get by with just the fuel in the stove if I fill it before I go (if we have one other stove as well). On longer trips I bring a MSR Fuel bottle and can make it last for a whole week. (it holds 1.1 Liters of fuel)

      I have used this stove on backpacking trips up to 13,000 feet in elevation, and in temperatures down to the single digits (F). I have never had a problem with it's function or use.

      I like to cut weight wherever I can, but I would rather use this bulkier stove than a lightweight canister type stove for a few reasons. I have used a canister type stove when it was pretty cold and at a high elevation and it wouldn't use up all the fuel in the canister. It's also hard to tell how much fuel is left in the canister. With the Coleman Dual Fuel 533 I can easily fill it up with fuel before a trip and know that I can make it. With a canister, it's hard to tell how much is in a used canister so you either risk it by taking it, or you take a spare that you don't need, or you buy a new one for each trip (resulting in many half empty bottles in your garage).

      SUMMARY

      I would recommend this stove to anyone who wants a durable, well built and useful backpacking stove. I wouldn't recommend it if you are trying to do ultralight backpacking as it is on the heavy side.

      THINGS I LIKE

      With a few quick instructions I can teach a scout how to use it effectively and properly.
      It's durable and holds up to quite a bit of abuse.

      It runs on White Gas or Unleaded Gas, which both are easy to buy, and both burn well at low temperatures (I've tried using a propane stove on a snowcave campout and quickly found that the propane doesn't come out of the tank when it's below freezing, white gas works great).

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      It is heavy, and bulky.

      It has no legs. So when it is used on uneven ground, you have to either dig in a level spot, or build one up. Flexible legs would allow it to be used in more locations easier.

      The plunger on the pump is made out of rubber. I have had a few coleman stoves and after I had one dry up and crack (making it useless), I have replaced them all with leather plungers. They hold the oil better and create a better seal.

      SIGNATURE

      Jason Wendel
      <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://campingwithscouts.blogspot.com/" LINK TEXT = "Check out my blog on camping with scouts">>

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2012
        Welcome to BGT Jason.

        Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

        I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Editors Team Director

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2012
          RAY - Jason Wendel(1) - COLEMAN DUAL FUEL 533 STOVE – Posted Jan 17 (msg#80871), On hold pending use clarification, Revised Jan 31 (80895), Taken Feb 12, Edit Feb 12 (80915),

          Hi Jason,

          I hope we didn't scare you off. Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on 12 Feb. Please refer to message number 80915 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/messages

          Editors Team Director