Edit - Repost Patagonia Women's Down Sweater - Frances Penn

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2012
      Frances,

      Well done, just a few more changes and this Report will be ready for uploading. Before I can approve that, however, I do need to see the html version, so let's address that first.

      The html version, preferably with photographs, needs to be posted in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org. To do this you need to join the Yahoo Group, log in [the tests folder isn't accessible until you log in], go to the Tests/Owner Reviews folder, click the "Upload File" button, and upload the Report by following the prompts there [basically posting the html text and photos, and giving the file a name]. Use of BGT's Report Writer facilitates this process considerably, and there are a number of WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) applications that can be downloaded free. I use and recommend Kompozer.

      After uploading the report, copy the html address into your browser, go to http://www.tinyurl.com, and create the tinyurl for inclusion in the posting of the plain text of the report to the list.

      I am far from expert when it comes to computer matters, so if you need more help make a posting to our sister Yahoo group, BGTUpload Help, and one of our tech-savvy members can help.

      Edits in the same format as before: EDIT is a required change, Edit a suggested change or request for clarification, and Comment is a comment – no change required. After revising, upload the html version to the Tests/OR folder and repost the plain text, with the tinyurl link, to this list. Put REPOST, the product name, and your name in the subject line.

      Cheers, Richard

      <<My daypack weight is usually 15 lbs. and my backpack weight is usually 28-30 lbs. >>
      EDIT: 15 lb [7 kg]; 28-30 lb [13-14 kg] [All BGT weights and measures are singular, with no period. And metric equivalent is always required. As the Imperial is approximate, the metric should be too.

      <<Size: Women's Medium [Size XS-XL available] Listed Weight: 11.3 oz. [320 g]
      Measured Weight: 11 oz. [312 g]>>
      EDIT: As above. Please delete the periods after "oz"

      <<This jacket is warm, the fit is comfortable and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment.>>
      Edit: In writing this you have added commentary after the description of each trip. So long as you don't confuse things, this format is acceptable. I think, however, that the second clause "and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment" would be more appropriate if made at the end of the report. It touches on durability as well as warmth, and few of us can safely comment on durability after one trip. This is more style than substance, so it's up to you.

      <<Duration: 3-days, 2-nights>>
      Edit: The hyphens are grammatically correct only when nouns are used as adjectives {e g, "2-night trip"]. Not needed here or in your Joshua Tree section.

      <<Temperatures: 30s F to 50s (1C to 10C)>>
      EDIT 1: Two formatting issues – need the F after "50s" and a space in the Celsius measurements [1 C to 10 C]
      EDIT 2: The Fahrenheit and Celsius don't match. 30s to 50s F is 1 to 15 C; -1 to 10 C is 34-50 F. Please clarify, here and in an identical measurement in your Joshua Tree section.

      <<so I didn't have to allow space for the jacket in my pack.>>
      EDIT: allow extra space for the jacket

      << I contacted Patagonia to see if I could purchase a small stuff sack for this or another jacket and was instructed to use the rear stuff pocket turned inside out as a temporary stuff sack. >>
      Comment: Many products don't come with stuff sacks, and many manufacturer-provided stuff sacks are poor quality. If you'd like a separate sack for this sweater, or some other product, I recommend that you buy a stuff sack from one of the companies that specialize in them. For one thing, it's the only way to ensure a waterproof sack.

      <<Consider purchasing one size smaller if you want a close fit.>>
      Edit: We editors immediately flag any use of the second person (you or your), as BGT does not allow "projection" – speculating on another person's reaction. This isn't projection and it's useful information, but remove all doubt by saying something like "I recommend sizing down for a close fit." That would make it clear that this is a recommendation based upon your experience rather than a comment of general applicability.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2012
        > The html version, preferably with photographs, needs to be posted in
        > the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org. To do this
        > you need to join the Yahoo Group, log in [the tests folder isn't
        > accessible until you log in], go to the Tests/Owner Reviews folder,
        > click the "Upload File" button, and upload the Report by following
        > the prompts there [basically posting the html text and photos, and
        > giving the file a name].

        Frances. Richard...
        [EDIT] You actually need to join the http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
        group... NOT the Yahoo! Group. (You can join the Yahoo! group but don't
        upload your report there.) The rest of the instructions look fine.

        Jet
        Edit Mod

      • richardglyon@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2012