REPOST OR PATAGONIA DOWN SWEATER Frances Penn

  • Frances
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2012
      PATAGONIA DOWN SWEATER
      Owner Review by Frances Penn
      December 23, 2011

      Reviewer Information:
      Age: 55
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 130 lbs. (59 kg)
      E-mail: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      Location: Costa Mesa, California USA
      I have been backpacking for four years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one- or two-week long trips per year in the Sierras. My daypack weight is usually 15 lbs. and my backpack weight is usually 28-30 lbs. I am a tent camper and have experienced snow camp once, all night rain twice and heavy winds but mostly fair weather.
      Product Info:
      Manufacturer: Patagonia Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Description: The cerise color I own is similar to the Bougainvillea currently available but a few shades lighter. There are two zippered handwarmer pockets, and one interior zippered stretch mesh pocket which doubles as a stuff sack and has a carabiner clip-in loop. The nylon-bound elastic cuffs and drawcord hem seal in warmth and keep drafts out. This jacket can be worn as an outer layer or mid-layer in colder climates. This jacket does not come with a stuff sack. The back pocket is intended as the temporary stuff sack. Patagonia advises the jacket should not be stored stuffed into the back pocket.
      MSRP: $200.00 US
      Field Info:
      Locations where tests were conducted:

      Location: Big Pine Lakes area of the Sierras September 2011.
      Elevation: 10,000 ft to 11,500 ft (3,050 m to 3,500 m)
      Duration: 3-days, 2-nights
      Conditions: Rain and wind
      Temperatures: 30s F to 40s (1 C to 4C)
      I wore the jacket at night in camp over my thermal and light fleece base layer. Since it was raining and windy, I wore my rain jacket on top. I was toasty warm but did not overheat. When I removed my rain jacket to get into my sleeping bag, I was happy to find I did not perspire under all those layers and the cuffs had kept my base layers dry from the windy rain. This jacket is warm, the fit is comfortable and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment.
      Location: Dollar Lake in the San Gorgonio Wilderness September 2011
      Elevation: 9,500 ft to 11,000 ft (2,895 m to 3352 m)
      Duration: 3-days, 2-nights
      Conditions: sunny but cool
      Temperatures: 30s F to 50s (1C to 10C)
      I wore the jacket at night in camp with a lightweight thermal, a heavier thermal, and light fleece underneath. I may not have needed all of these layers, but I am not a fan of being cold. The jacket kept me toasty warm. I had my rain jacket handy to use as an extra layer in case of wind or rain but it was not needed on that trip.
      Location: Joshua Tree December 2011
      Elevation: 5,000 ft 1,524 m)
      Duration: 2-days, 2-nights
      Conditions: cloudy and windy
      Temperatures: 30s F to 50s (1C to 10C)
      I wore the jacket over a lightweight thermal base layer, a heavier weight thermal and a lightweight fleece. There was ice in my water bottle in the morning. Because it was windy during the day, I wore it to hike for a few hours until the wind died down and the sun and hiking warmed us. I was very happy that I did not overheat wearing the jacket for hiking. I was worried I would snag the jacket on the plants we were hiking past and a few small snags did occur. I removed the jacket as soon as I was warm enough to minimize the damage. Since it is only 11 oz (312 g) and highly compressible, it fit easily into my daypack without being stuffed into its back pocket. I did not notice any additional weight or bulk in my pack.
      The jacket does not come with a stuff sack. Its rear stuff pocket is intended as a temporary stuff sack. I tried stuffing the jacket into the rear pocket and found the result to be too bulky. I contacted Patagonia to see if I could purchase a small stuff sack for this or another jacket and was instructed to use the rear stuff pocket turned inside out as a temporary stuff sack. I tried this method and the results were too bulky. I achieved better results folding and rolling the jacket and then stuffing it into my pack.
      Pros:
      Warmth to weight is awesome
      Lightweight and highly compressible
      Non-bulky feel. I almost forget I have the jacket on it is so lightweight.
      Comfortable fit for ease of layering
      Attractive style and color

      Cons:
      Expensive
      Rear stuff pocket zipper could be a little larger to protect the jacket during the stuffing process
      Sizes run big to allow for layering. Consider purchasing one size smaller if you want a close fit.

      SORRY BUT NEED HELP POSTING THE URL LINK TO THE HTML VERSION. I HAVE THE HTML VERSION READY TO POST.

      ALSO, TRIED TO UPLOAD REVIEW BUT WAS NOT ABLE TO LOCATE PROPER FOLDER. THE CLOSEST FOLDER WAS A PATAGONIA DOWN VEST AND I DON'T THE UPLOAD WAS SUCCESSFUL. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.