OR # 2- Outdoor Earbags Fleece - Erin Foudy

  • erinfoudy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
      Alright, here is my second Owner Review! Thanks ahead of time for editing. The html version is at http://tinyurl.com/7c2hq8g

      Earbags - Outdoor Earbags Fleece Dark Color
      Owner Review by Erin Foudy
      12/29/2011

      Tester Info:
      Name: Erin Foudy
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'11'' (1.8 m)
      Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
      Email address: erinfoudyATyahooDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking while working for the National Park service ten years ago. I have been a backcountry ranger/law enforcement ranger and served on search and rescue crews. I typically take two or more camping trips a month, year round. I appreciate light weight, but am not obsessed by it. I often carry a 30 lb (14 kg) pack and stay out from three to nine days at a time. I also enjoy day trips with only water on my back. I take trips to Colorado and Montana in the summertime and enjoy the outdoors there as well.

      Info and specs:
      Manufacturer: Earbags
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Actual Weight: 14g
      Size: Small
      Available Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
      Color: Black
      Available Colors: Black, Brown, Forest Green, Dark Grey, Navy Blue
      MSRP: 12,50 pounds
      Sizing Chart (at http://www.earbags.com):
      Measure the height of your ear:
      Small - 6 cm
      Medium - 6 cm - 7cm
      Large - 7 cm -

      The Outdoor Earbags come in a small red stuff sack.  The writing on the stuff sack reads that they are bandless ear warmers.  There is a drawstring cord to tighten and loosen the sack.  The warmers themselves are black and made of Fleece.  The Earbags logo can be seen on the inside of the earbag's white colored Fleece.  They are an oval shape, contoured just right for an ear, with a little pocket that snaps comfortably around the ear.  They fit well, and the weight is unnoticeable.

      In the Field:
      Cayonlands National Park:
      Temperatures: 30 F to 80 F (-1 C to 27 C)
      Elevation: 4800 ft to 6800 ft. (1463 m to 2073 m)
      Duration of Trip: 3 separate 9 day backpack

      Mt. Whitney:
      Temperature: 20 F to 75 F (-7 C to 24 C)
      Elevation: 10700 ft to 14494 (3261 m to 4418 m)
      Duration of Trip: 1 day

      Sequoia National Park:
      Temperature: 20 F to 75 F 20 F to 75 F (-7 C to 24 C)
      Elevation: 6730 F to 12300 F (2051 m to 3749 m)
      Duration of Trip: 9 day backpack

      Performance:
      Canyonlands National Park:
      I used the Earbags most nights and early mornings during my backcountry ranger duties in the Maze district of the park.  The Maze is the least accessible district of Canyonlands, so I spent extended time in the backcountry every trip.  I liked that I could wear the Earbags instead of a hat or beanie and that they helped to keep my ears warm and cozy.

      Mt Whitney:
      The Earbags were a great wind blocker on this trip.  The weather fluctuated a lot and I wore them on and off all day long.  When I didn't need my Earbags it was easy to store them in a pocket for later use.  My one complaint is that if I brushed the Earbags with my hand while pulling my hair back the Earbags occasionally fell off.

      Sequoia National Park:
      The Earbags were a great wind blocker on this trip.  The weather fluctuated a lot and I wore them on and off all day long.  When I didn't need my Earbags it was easy to store them in a pocket for later use.  My one complaint is that if I brushed the Earbags with my hand while pulling my hair back the Earbags occasionally fell off.

      Things I like:
      1. Warm
      2. Lightweight
      3. Small
      4. Good wind blocker

      Things I don't like:
      1. Quick to fall off if they rub against anything.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2012

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2012
          Hi Erin,

          Thanks for the Owner Review, I shall be your editor for this one. Thanks for putting the HTML version up right away. Here are your edits. After going through them please repost here and put a corrected HTML version in the test folder. (Delete the old one first.)

          By the way it is nice to see that Arizona has another tall hiker gal. Our hard working Owner Review queue manager Jamie D is south of you.

          Ray

          ***Earbags - Outdoor Earbags Fleece Dark Color

          EDIT: the title should just be Earbags, Outdoor Earbags

          ***Actual Weight:14g

          EDIT: need the Imperial conversion and please put a space before the "g" (14 g)

          ***MSRP: Not listed

          EDIT: from what I see they sell the Earbags themselves and list them as €12,50 I see they do not sell to the US though.

          *** The warmers themselves are black and made of Fleece.

          EDIT: fleece (no cap)

          The Earbags logo can be seen on the inside of the earbag's white colored Fleece.

          EDIT: fleece (no cap) but the second Earbag does need one

          ***They are an oval shape, contoured just right for an ear,

          EDIT: let's play it safe and say that it is "just right for my ear" to avoid projection.

          Duration of Trip: 3 separate 9 day backpack

          EDIT: I think this should be "3 separate 9-day backpacking trips" even better would be "Three 9-day backpacking trips"

          *** during my backcountry ranger duties

          Comment: my hat's off to you, thank you for your work

          ***The Earbags are so lightweight that it is easy to forget you are wearing them at times.

          EDIT: you need to keep the review in the first person. Please change "you are" to "I am"

          ***This can be both a positive and a negative; positive in that they are almost unnoticeable yet still keep you warm, and negative in that you forget you have them on, and may inadvertently knock them off putting a pack on or messing with your hair.

          EDIT: same thing here.