Owner Review

  • William Butt
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2012
      COLEMAN HIKING BOOTS, Excursion Series
      BY BILL BUTT
      OR
      January 02, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Bill Butt
      EMAIL: tinman1241@...
      AGE: 55
      LOCATION: Streetsboro, Ohio
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 214 lb (97.10 kg)

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer:  Coleman
      Year of Manufacture: not sure
      Manufacturer's Website: www.coleman.com
      MSRP: US $24.99 to $39
      Listed Weight:  Only listed as "Light-Weight."
      Measured Weight: About 3 pounds (1362 grams)
      Other details: Leather and man-made uppers with thick, durable, well-treaded sole.  These are tan, brown and black.  I chose High-tops so as to have ankle support.

      FIELD USE

      In July of 2011 after spending the day working with special needs teens at a Horse Camp, explaining and demonstrating the finer points of mucking horse stalls, I had the sole of my old hiking boots come off in my hand while removing them before getting into my car.  I was slightly panicked.  I had three more days of Horse Camp and a caving trip with my Cub Scouts coming up.
      I stopped on my way home to see what K-Mart had to offer in the way of new boots.  I was surprised to find they had boots on sale.  I picked up this pair of Coleman boots. My last pair of Coleman's had served me pretty well, may their soles rest in peace.  Deciding on a pair, I proceeded to the checkout and paid my $20 plus tax and headed home.  With so many seams on the uppers and the knowledge that they would be Oh-So near to horse manure for the next 3 days I sprayed them with CampDry water proofing and left them to dry overnight.
      The next three days of mucking stalls and two mile hikes with the teens proved no problem for my new boots.  A good brushing with a stiff scrub brush kept them looking pretty new.
      In August of 2011, I laced up by boots and traveled to Laurel Caverns in PA, to take part in a day of caving with my Cub Scouts.  My boots carried me through mud, over sandstone and into water during our three hour tour of the caverns.  My feet remained dry and comfortable in my new boots, but the outsides of the boots were covered red mud (red from the high iron content in the soil.).  I was not worried about the mud, I just let it dry good, banged them together to knock off the large clumps and then gave them a good brushing with the stiff scrub brush I mentioned earlier.  Then a quick wipe with wet paper towels made them almost like new.  But, I knew where they had been.
      Since August these boots have been served me well on about 20 miles of hikes, provided comfortable footwear for several Cub Scout meetings and kept my feet dry and warm on  two trips to the zoo.

      SUMMARY

      These boots are my choice of footwear if I am going to be doing any walking and/or it is raining or snowing. They have served me very well indeed.  If these boots ever wear out , Coleman will be my first choice to replace them.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1) Very durable
      2) Clean up easily
      3) Sturdy sole
      4) Affordable

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      These boots provide everything I need based on what I use them for, so there is nothing I don't like about them.

      SIGNATURE

      Bill Butt
      tinman1241@...
      Streetsboro, OH

      OF NOTE

      Please note I could not find these boots at the Coleman Website.  However, they seem to be available at many, many websites as well as Kmart.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2012
        Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org Bill

        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, it looks like this item is not a current enough product and you do not have enough backpacking use with it so it cannot be accepted for editing at this time. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. I've been informed that you have just recently started with our Mentoring Program. Very good choice. I'm sure your mentor will get you squared away with what we are looking for at BGT. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing another review from you in the near future.

        Editors Team Director