Re: member comment: OR - Ursack Minor - Charles Nichols

  • hikingshoes
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 27, 2011
      "OOP" Dec 27,2011 - Jan.02,2012.Sorry guys but didnt think I'd be picked up until Jan..had this plan for three weeks.Hope you understand.
      Happy New Years,
      Charles

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2012
        RAY - Charles Nichols - Ursack Minor - Posted Dec 1(msg#80760), Taken Dec 17, Edit Dec 17(80811), OOP until Jan 2, Follow-up sent Jan 30

        Hi Charles,

        Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on 17 Dec. Please refer to message number 80811 at

        Editors Team Director
      • hikingshoes
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
          Ray,

          Here is my "EDIT" OR. Sorry for taking so long but due to working
          7/12's its hard to get to the report. Thanks for your help and time.
          Here is my HMTL : http://tinyurl.com/89hfvaz
          <http://tinyurl.com/89hfvaz>

          Ursack Minor
          BY Charles Nichols
          OR
          November 30, 2011

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Charles Nichols
          EMAIL: hikingshoesATyahooDOTcom
          AGE: 48
          LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
          GENDER: m
          HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
          WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

          Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked
          sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina,
          Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee.
          I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. After meeting
          other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of
          my own. My current pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          *Pictured here with and without optional aluminum liner
          *Photo Courtesy of Ursack website
          Manufacturer: Ursack
          "http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm
          <http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm> " LINK TEXT = "www.ursack.com
          <http://www.ursack.com> ">>
          MSRP: US $ 49.95
          Listed Weight: 2.7 oz ( 77 g)
          Measured Weight: 2.6 oz ( 74 g)

          PRODUCT DESCRIPTION :
          Over the years I've used a stuff sack as my food bag along with a zip
          lock bag. I was looking for a food bag that was safe for critters and
          not so much bears. I had a friend whos hike the Appalachian trail twice
          turned me on to the Ursack Minor. At first the food bag was stiff and
          hard to close the top, but over a period of time using the food bag on
          the trail it became more flexable/soft, not to the point that it wouldnt
          protect my food. I now own the Ursack Minor (hereafter referred to as
          "food bag") for a year now, which I love. If you're not familiar with
          the (Ursack), they're made out of Kevlar fabric, which is the same
          fabric that bullproof vests are made of. The food bag has a intergrated
          4ft (1.22m) cord which is ran through a channel at the top of the food
          bag to close the top using a double overhand knot. See picture below.
          At 8 inches (20m) x 13 inches (33m) tall the food bag holds about 650
          cubic inches (10652 cc ) I can pack 3 - 4 days of food with no problem
          and If needed 6 - 7 days of food. Once the food bag is packed and
          secured,I'll hang using the Pacific Crest Trail method or I'll tie the
          food bag to the base of the tree using a figure eight knot, because it
          is easy to untie even after Ursack has been pulled on by a 500 pound
          bear per Ursack website.

          FIELD USE

          The Ursack Minor has been with me on numerous backpacking trips like the
          Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness
          in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. Here are just a
          few trips where I have use my Ursack Minor car camping (2-3 days) and
          (3-4 days) backpacking trips.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>IMAGE3
          09/05/2010 - Hanging my food bag on the Appalachian Trail (AT). The
          weather was awesome,sunny,nice breezes was blowing and the temperture
          was in the upper 70's F (21.11c) and lower 50's F (10 c) at night. After
          I summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I setup camp had some dinner.
          After dinner I packed my food items in my food bag and headed off the
          summit to find a tree to hang my food bag for the night.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">> IMAGE 4
          04/09/2011 - In the picture (IMAGE4) is my Ursack Minor bag attached to
          the picnic table for testing. I normally use the Pacific Crest Trail
          method (PCT method) to hang my food bag, but at the time I wanted to
          test my food bag. It was a very nice night for car camping on the
          Tennessee River in Pickwick, Tennesse. The weather was in the upper 60's
          F (18.33 C) lows in the 50's F (10 C), with a light wind blowing. Once I
          was in bed I heard something outside my tent so I looked out and it was
          the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. After looking for my camera and
          light and making all that noise in the world I would think the raccoon
          would have left. After taking pictures and video for about 15 - 20
          minutes and trying three times to open the food bag he was done. What is
          funny the trash bag hanging up in the back ground the raccoon never
          tough it for the two days we was their camping.

          SUMMARY

          Overall, I am very pleased with the Ursack Minor. Having seen a raccoon
          try to gnaw there way into the food bag, the Ursack was not compromised.
          The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon.Thats what sold me
          on buying this food bag.

          THINGS I LIKE

          *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
          *weight isn't bad
          * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus it will hold me cook pot
          too.

          THINGS I DON'T LIKE

          *The Ursack Minor is not waterproof, so I'll need to use a plastic
          liner, sil-nylon, or other method to keep the food dry.
          * Some National Park Service want let us use the Ursack Minor so check
          the regulations in your area.

          SIGNATURE

          Charles Nichols

          Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

          > Hi Charles,
          >
          > Looks like you get me for your second review too. As you will recall
          the edits will follow and take this format:

          > EDIT: must be changed
          > Edit: should be changed but will be left to your discretion
          > Comment: just that or something to think about
          >

          > ***The Ursack Minor is made of superfine fiber and dense weave Kevlar
          farbic to
          > prevent sharp toothed critters from getting your food.
          >
          > EDIT: remember that we need to keep the reviews in the first person.
          No "you" and "your"

          > Charles, can you please write a description of the Ursack. Just
          listing some bullet points is not enough. When testers are selected for
          gear tests they need to show that they can write a good review. The
          description is one of the most important parts. I know there is not much
          to describe, but put it into sentences. What does the material feel
          like? Is it stiff or loose? How is the integrated cord attached?

          > *** Items I use to Hang my Ursack Minor
          >
          > EDIT: no cap for "hang"
          >

          > *** Take the other end of the 550 cord and attach the D-ring which is
          attach to the food bag.

          > EDIT: "I" take the other end of the 550 cord and attach the D-ring
          which is "attached" to the food bag.

          > ***Once the food bag is attach I like to use the Pacific Crest Trail
          method

          > EDIT: attached
          >

          > *** I haven't nor have I had any problems with bear are critters on
          the "AT" for as food goes that I'm aware of.

          > EDIT: you seem to be missing something here. (You haven't what?)
          >

          > ***The only time I've had any animal trying to get in my food bag was
          for this test I'm doing now.

          > EDIT: what test? Ah, I see you mention it later. You should reword
          this sentence. The only time I've had any animal trying to get in my
          food bag was the time I purposely left it out as a test of its
          abilities.

          > *** The weather was awesome sunny, with a nice breezes blowing and the
          temperature

          > EDIT: the comma should be after "awesome. Delete "a" before "nice"
          >

          > *** Once I picked the right tree out and hang my food bag
          >
          > EDIT: and "hung" my food bag
          >

          > *** it was time to head back up to camp for a good nights rest.
          >
          > EDIT: night's
          >

          > ***If your camping on top of Max Patch you'll have to walk about 50 ft
          (15.24 m) - 100 ft (30.38 m) are more to hang your food bag.

          > EDIT: the you thing again. Plus, "or" more to hang your food bag
          >

          > *** In the picture (IMAGE5) is my Ursack Minor bag (hereafter referred
          to as the "food bag")

          > EDIT: you have already said this earlier in the review.
          >

          > *** attach to the picnic table for testing.
          >
          > EDIT: attached
          >

          > *** It was a very nice night for car camping on the Tennessee river in
          Pickwick, Tennesse.

          > EDIT: Tennessee "River" in Pickwick, "Tennessee".
          >

          > ***The weather was in the upper 65 F (18.33 C) lows in the 50 F (10 C)
          >
          > EDIT: it was either 65 F or in the upper 60's F (Also notice the way I
          wrote it with an "s". That is what all of yours are missing.)

          > *** Once, I was in bed I heard something outside my tent
          >
          > EDIT: delete the comma
          >

          > *** After looking for my camera and light and making all that noise
          you would think the raccoon would have left.

          > EDIT: the you thing
          >

          > *** What is funny the trash in the bag hanging up the raccoon never
          tough it for the two days we was their camping.

          > EDIT: I don't know what this means.
          >

          > *** I have seen a raccoon trying to gnaw their way in,
          >
          > EDIT: unless there was more than one it would not be "their"
          >

          > ***The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon.Thats what
          sole me on buying this food bag.

          > EDIT: "that's" what "sold".
          > Comment: But you bought the bag long before you had your raccoon
          encounter.

          > ***Keeps my food safe for critters(not bears)
          >
          > EDIT: "from" critters and need a space before (not bears)
          >

          > *** It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), store my cooking set.
          >
          > EDIT: "store my cooking set" does not make any sense. What are you
          trying to say about it?

          > ***The Ursack Minor is not waterproof,you will need to use a plastic
          liner, sil-nylon, or other method to keep your food dry.

          > ***Some National Park Service want let you use the Ursack Minor so
          check the regulations in your area.

          > EDIT: the you thing again.

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 6, 2012
            Hello Charles,

            We still have a long way to go here. I would like to suggest that you use a spell checker before posting your reviews. Most of these edits would be caught beforehand if you did so making both our jobs a lot simpler. Same deal as before. Please make the corrections and repost here, placing a new version in the test folder too.

            Ray

            *** I was looking for a food bag that was safe for critters and not so much bears.

            EDIT: it keeps your food safe from critters. It is not safe for critters. I would say, I was looking for a food storage bag that would keep my food protected from small critters, but not bears.

            ***I had a friend whos hike the Appalachian trail twice turned me on to the Ursack Minor.

            EDIT: I had a friend who has hiked the Appalachian Trail turn me on to the Ursack Minor.

            *** but over a period of time using the food bag on the trail it became more flexable/soft,

            EDIT: flexible

            ***not to the point that it wouldnt protect my food.

            EDIT: wouldn't

            *** they're made out of Kevlar fabric, which is the same fabric that bullproof vests are made of

            EDIT: bulletproof

            ***The food bag has a intergrated 4ft (1.22m) cord

            EDIT: The food bag has "an integrated 4 ft (1.22 m)" cord (spelling and spacing issues here.)

            ***At 8 inches (20m) x 13 inches (33m) tall

            EDIT: please put a space before the abbreviations, plus it is cm, not m (20 cm)

            *** Once the food bag is packed and secured,I'll hang using the Pacific Crest Trail method

            EDIT: need a space after the comma

            *** because it is easy to untie even after Ursack has been pulled on by a 500 pound bear per Ursack website.

            EDIT: need the metric conversion for the bear's weight

            *** The weather was awesome,sunny,nice breezes was blowing and the temperture was in the upper 70's F (21.11c) and lower 50's F (10 c)

            EDIT: need spaces after the commas, spelling on "temperature" plus the abbreviation for Celsius is a capital C. Also the upper 70's F would be 25 C Also please round up to a whole number on the temps, no decimal places.

            *** After I summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I setup camp had some dinner.

            EDIT: After I summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I "set up camp and" had some dinner.

            *** It was a very nice night for car camping on the Tennessee River in Pickwick, Tennesse.

            EDIT: Tennessee (missing one e)

            ***What is funny the trash bag hanging up in the back ground the raccoon never tough it for the two days we was their camping.

            EDIT: This sentence is a mess. Try: It was funny that the trash bag hanging up in the background was never touched by the raccoon during the entire two days we were there camping.

            *** Having seen a raccoon try to gnaw there way into the food bag,

            EDIT: Having seen a raccoon try to gnaw "its" way into the food bag (If it was more than one you could have said "their")

            ***The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon.Thats what sold me on

            EDIT: Need a space after the period plus it is spelled "That's"

            *** It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus it will hold me cook pot too.

            EDIT: hold "my" cook pot

            *** Some National Park Service want let us use the Ursack Minor so check the regulations in your area.

            EDIT: please just delete this line. I understand what you are trying to say but the readers will find what the regulations are for their own areas.
          • hikingshoes
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 12, 2012
              Ray,
              Here is my edit "OR " and my HTML. Please keep in mind im working 6/10's
              so dont think Im not wanting to finish. Thanks, Charles

              http://tinyurl.com/88doohu <http://tinyurl.com/88doohu>

[...]

              lock bag. I was looking for a food storage bag that would keep my food
              protected from small critters, but not bears. I had a friend who has
              hike the Appalachian Trail twice turned me on to the Ursack Minor. At
              first the food bag was stiff and hard to close the top, but over a
              period of time using the food bag on the trail it became more
              flexible/soft, not to the point that it wouldn't protect my food. I now
              own the Ursack Minor (hereafter referred to as "food bag") for a year
              now, which I love. If you're not familiar with the (Ursack), they're
              made of Kevlar fabric, which is the same fabric that bulletproof vests
              are made of. The food bag has an integrated 4 ft (1.22 m) cord which is
              ran through a channel at the top of the food bag to close the top using
              a double overhand knot. See picture below <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
              "IMAGE 2">>. At 8 inches (20 cm) x 13 inches (33 cm) tall the food bag
              holds about 650 cubic inches (10652 cc ) I can pack 3 - 4 days of food
              with no problem and If needed 6 - 7 days of food. Once the food bag is
              packed and secured, I'll hang using the Pacific Crest Trail method or
              I'll tie the food bag to the base of the tree using a figure eight knot,
              because it is easy to untie even after Ursack has been pulled on by a
              500 pound bear (227 kg) per Ursack website.

              FIELD USE

              The Ursack Minor has been with me on numerous backpacking trips like the
              Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness
              in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. Here are just a
              few trips where I have use my Ursack Minor car camping (2-3 days) and
              (3-4 days) backpacking trips.
              <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>IMAGE3
              09/05/2010 - Hanging my food bag on the Appalachian Trail (AT). The
              weather was awesome, sunny, nice breezes was blowing and the temperature
              was in the upper 70's F (25 C) and lower 50's F (10 C) at night. After I
              summit Max Patch at 4629 ft (1411 m) I set up camp and had some dinner.
              After dinner I packed my food items in my food bag and headed off the
              summit to find a tree to hang my food bag for the night.
              <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">> IMAGE 4
              04/09/2011 - In the picture (IMAGE4) is my Ursack Minor bag attached to
              the picnic table for testing. I normally use the Pacific Crest Trail
              method (PCT method) to hang my food bag, but at the time I wanted to
              test my food bag. It was a very nice night for car camping on the
              Tennessee River in Pickwick, Tennessee. The weather was in the upper
              60's F (18 C) lows in the 50's F (10 C), with a light wind blowing. Once
              I was in bed I heard something outside my tent so I looked out and it
              was the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. After looking for my camera
              and light and making all that noise in the world I would think the
              raccoon would have left. After taking pictures and video for about 15 -
              20 minutes and trying three times to open the food bag he was done. It
              was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never touched
              by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

              SUMMARY

              Overall, I am very pleased with the Ursack Minor. Having seen a raccoon
              try to gnaw its way into the food bag, the Ursack was not compromised.
              The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon. That's what sold
              me on buying this food bag.

              THINGS I LIKE

              *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
              *weight isn't bad
              * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

              THINGS I DON'T LIKE

              *The Ursack Minor is not waterproof, but along with a plastic liner,
              sil-nylon, or other method it will keep the food dry.

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 13, 2012
                Hi Charles,

                No worries, I understand time constraints. (But not work constraints right now unfortunately ;-)

                This is looking a lot better. There are still a few edits. (Some I had before, please check them thoroughly). Hopefully this will do it. REPOST and let me check the corrected HTML one more time and if it is good I shall make the permanent folder for your review.

                Ray

                Take a look at your HTML. Look at the picture showing the knot. The period that is supposed to be at the end of "See picture below" ended up under the photo. That needs to be corrected.

                ***I can pack 3 - 4 days of food with no problem and If needed 6 - 7 days of food

                EDIT: no capital I for `if"

                ***It was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never touched by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

                EDIT: we "were there" camping.
              • hikingshoes
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 13, 2012
                  Ray,
                  Reposting my "OR" and HTML . Thanks,Charles

[...]

                  by the raccoon the entire two days we were there camping.

                  SUMMARY

                  Overall, I am very pleased with the Ursack Minor. Having seen a raccoon
                  try to gnaw its way into the food bag, the Ursack was not compromised.
                  The Ursack Minor was never penetrated by the raccoon. That's what sold
                  me on buying this food bag.

                  THINGS I LIKE

                  *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
                  *weight isn't bad
                  * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

                  THINGS I DON'T LIKE

                  *The Ursack Minor is not waterproof, but along with a plastic liner,
                  sil-nylon, or other method it will keep the food dry.

                  SIGNATURE

                  Charles Nichols

                  Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

                  > Hi Charles,
                  >
                  > No worries, I understand time constraints. (But not work constraints
                  right now unfortunately ;-)

                  > This is looking a lot better. There are still a few edits. (Some I had
                  before, please check them thoroughly). Hopefully this will do it. REPOST
                  and let me check the corrected HTML one more time and if it is good I
                  shall make the permanent folder for your review.

                  > Ray
                  >

                  > Take a look at your HTML. Look at the picture showing the knot. The
                  period that is supposed to be at the end of "See picture below" ended up
                  under the photo. That needs to be corrected.

                  > ***I can pack 3 - 4 days of food with no problem and If needed 6 - 7
                  days of food

                  > EDIT: no capital I for `if"
                  >

                  > ***It was funny the trash bag hanging up in the background was never
                  touched by the raccoon the entire two days we was their camping.

                  > EDIT: we "were there" camping.

                • Ray
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                    OK Charles, let's finish this up. Looking at the HTML I find just one more problem. But fix it and then go ahead and upload the corrected version to:

                    Reviews > Cook Gear > Bear Resistant Containers > Ursack Minor
                    Or: http://tinyurl.com/87rzx5r

                    Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload File", be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

                    Now take what we have gone through on this review and apply it towards writing your next one. One down, one to go.

                    Ray

                    EDIT: Look at your Things I Like section.

                    *Keeps my food safe from critters (not bears)
                    *weight isn't bad
                    * It holds 6-7 days of food (if needed), plus my cook pot as well.

                    Capitalize "Weight" so it matches the other bullet lines and remove the space before "It" so that line matches the others too.
                  • chuck nichols
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                      Ray,
                       This is my second OR. Thanks,Charles

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                        Ah, in that case,

                        As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
                        Agreement, for which see:

                        that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

                        You will also need to join:

                        This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

                        However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

                        Congratulations!
                      • chuck nichols
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                          Ray,
                          Thanks for all the help!!! I mailed my BGT
                          Agreement2012.doc  about 2 - 3 months ago. I'd like to do some more OR's and test gear as well, if thats ok? I think i still need alittle more work. I think the more i do OR's or test gear the better i'll get. Once again a big thank you for your time and help. Thanks Charles

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                            Tester agreement has been received - you are ready to GO!

                            Congratulations!
                            Kathy

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 14, 2012
                              Kathy,
                              Thanks for the warm welcome ..Thanks, Charles