EDIT: Owner Review - Optimus Svea Outdoor Stove - Rusty Gaidzik

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2011
      Hi Rusty,

      Thank you for the Owner Review, the second one I see. My initial edits will follow below. They will take the following format.

      EDIT: must be changed

      When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Also you can put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;

      http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

      The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

      support group,

      BGTFileUploadHelp @

      Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you have it uploaded.

      Ray

      ***City, State, Country: Los Angeles, CA, USA.

      EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international readers

      *** Still I manage to keep my pack in the medium light range, usually between 30lbs to 40lbs.

      EDIT: we have a 100 word limit on the hiker bio's so you need to trim yours a bit. When you do please add the metric conversion for the weights.

      ***Manufacturer: Optimus (Svea)

      EDIT: they are actually owned by and part of Katadyn Products Inc

      EDIT: just http://www.optimusstoves.com

      *** Listed weight: 19.4 Oz (550 Grams)
      ***Measured weight w/o saucepan lid: 18.3 Oz (518 Grams)

      EDIT: no caps on oz and g (plus since you abbreviate ounces grams should be too)

      ***MSRP: EUR 99.95

      Comment: This is fine as they do show international numbers too, but I would list it as US $109.95. Your choice though.

      The Optimus Svea includes the burner with valve and a small pot with detachable
      handle, valve key and windscreen(which provides a stable pot support).

      Edit: the pop-up pot stand provides the pot support, right? Does the pot have an option to sit right on the screen?

      ***Priming pump, spare parts kit, cleaning tool, eye dropper, optional starting gel, and
      filling funnel sold separately.

      EDIT: "are" sold separately

      *** One tricky part about lighting this stove is that you have to put the windscreen on before you begin the process.

      EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

      Projection

      "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

      This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

      We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

      "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

      ***Though it is no longer in production, I found this stove and its accessories available through various vendors on the internet.

      Comment: It is still in production right?
      http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-svea/
      Is that what you have? If not then it can't be reviewed.

      *** Temperatures were about 20 to 30F (-7 to
      -1C).

      EDIT: need spaces between the F and C (30 F) please look for all instances of this. The same thing with ft, m, etc

      *** On my trip to Whitney in June 2011 the Optimus out performed an MSR Whisperlite. It boiled 16oz of water about three minutes faster than the Whisperlite.

      EDIT: we do not do brand comparisons. You can say that it out preformed other stoves that were in use in your group, or that you also own, but no names. There is a lot more later on to remove too.

      *** In order to operate the stove you need a detachable key to turn the valve.

      EDIT: the "you" thing again, please look for all instances of this

      *** it scratches the brass on the valve knob, and it adds about 12oz to the weight of the stove.

      EDIT: please add the metric conversion and a space before oz