Edit - Patagonia Women's Down Sweater Vest - Erin Foudy

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2011

      Good to see that my mentee's girlfriend has started her own set of Owner Reviews. This is quite a good start, and I am going to proceed with specific edits. There are a few more general items I shall address first, though.

      BGT requires conversions for all Imperial and metric figures. You've missed a few, which I've noted below. And keep in mind that not all our readers (not even all our contributors) are American, and the non-Americans may not be familiar with US abbreviations. For the same reason, any US location must be identified by state. Again I've flagged some below. Please keep this in mind for future ORs.

      I'd like to see some commentary on the vest's durability, and what (if anything) you've done to clean or maintain it. You might check out a few reviews of down products to see how others have addressed these subjects, both of which are important to our readers.

      My specific edits below are in standard BGT format:

      EDIT (all caps) – required change
      Edit (initial cap) – suggested change or request for clarification
      Comment – just that, no change required

      After revising you should post the plain text version here, with "Repost," the product name, and your name in the subject line. At some point I'll need to edit the html version, and it would be preferable if you could post that for the next version in the Tests/Owner Reviews folder on BackpackGearTest.org, and include a tinyurl link to the html version in the body of your message with the plain text.

      Please note that while photos aren't required in a first Owner Review, we do require them in all subsequent ORs and in all Test Reports. I encourage you to include one in this Report.

      Cheers, Richard

      <<Owner Review by Erin Foudy
      Edit: This is comparable to my comment above about US abbreviations. In Europe and Australia numeric dates are done month first. This one's OK, as there's no seventeenth month, but I'd prefer writing out the date: November 17, 2011.

      <<Height: 5'11">>
      EDIT: Need the metric equivalent.

      <<I have been a backcountry ranger/LE ranger >>
      EDIT: law enforcement ranger [See my note above about abbreviations. Even I had to look this one up.]

      << I often carry a 30 lb pack>>
      EDIT: Need the metric equivalent.

      <<Manufacturer: Patagonia >>
      EDIT: Here (but only here) you need the full name of the manufacturer: Patagonia, Inc.

      <<Available Colors: Bougainvillea, Black, Pearl, Sky, Watercress>>
      Edit: You might mention that Patagonia sells a Men's Down Sweater Vest, in different colors.

      <<Patagonia uses recycled soda bottles, unusable second quality fabrics, and worn out garments to produce many of their clothes. >>
      EDIT: Unless you verified this independently (and I don't know how you would), this is what we call "projection" – reporting on another's claim. That's a BGT no-no. "Patagonia says that it uses . . . "

      << I wore this vest in Glacier National Park during two multiple day backpacking trips last year. >>
      EDIT: Glacier National Park, Montana [See comment above]
      Edit: multiple-day [with a hyphen]

      <<It's surprising how well a vest alone can serve to keep the body warm.>>
      EDIT: This is a more common example of projection. This may not be true for everyone, so "keep my body warm."

      << I also wore this vest on a two day trip in Teton National Park on my way back to
      Arizona. >>
      EDIT: Teton National Park, Wyoming [See comment above.]

      <<The temperature ranged from 30 F ( -1 C) to 60 F (16 C) over the
      two day trip.>>
      Edit: two-day [with a hyphen]

      <<I wear this vest often during the mild winters in Tucson, AZ.>>
      EDIT: in Tucson, Arizona. Or (better) "in Tucson," as you've identified that city by state in your bio.

      Being 5'11 I have a very long torso,>>
      EDIT: Need the metric equivalent

      <<3. Wind proof>>
      Edit: Windproof [one word]

      <<1. Doesn't protect my arms from the rain>>
      EDIT: This really isn't fair to Patagonia, since no vest protects the arms. And Patagonia sells a down sweater if arm protection is desired. Either delete this line, or add a qualifier such as "(but this is true of any vest)."