OR - Kleen Kanteen Classic - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2011
      I don't think there are any reviews of this one, so I went for it. HTML at http://tinyurl.com/7jms5zt

      Thank you for your time and edits!

      Kleen Kanteen Classic
      Owner Review by Alex Legg
      11/18/2011

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lbs (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies. I hike ranges near Tucson, Arizona during winter, Colorado during summer. I carry a light pack, mostly water. I tend to camp with a tarp whenever possible to reduce the weight of my two person tent. Primarily I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out. Temperatures range from to extreme winter to 100 F (38 C) , and elevation from 2000' (600 m) to 14,000 (4,300 m). I bag a mountain every weekend, and walk my dogs daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Product Information and Specifications:

      Manufacturer: Kleen Kanteen
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Listed Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
      Actual Weight: 5.8 oz (164 g)
      Size: 27 oz (798 ml)
      Available Sizes: 12 oz (355 ml), 18 oz (532 ml), 27 oz (798 ml), 40 oz (1,183 ml)
      Color: Ocean Blue
      Available Colors: Brushed Stainless, Active Pink, Be Green, Black Eclipse, Commuter Orange, Forest Green, Glacier White, Green Energy, Indicator Red, Ocean Blue, Pink Renewal, Prevention Purple, Reef Blue, Solar Yellow
      MSRP: $19.95

      Product Description:

      The Kleen Kanteen Classic 27 oz (798 ml) water bottle is a stainless steel water bottle with a sport cap. It is made of 18/8 food-grade stainless steel. It is completely BPA and other toxins free. There is no need for a plastic or epoxy lining like that on many aluminum bottles. The plastic cap is also BPA free and very strong and impact resistant.
      When I open the water bottle, I notice that the mouth is wide enough to stuff ice cubes into. A great feature in my opinion as a steel bottle can heat up fast in the sun. I also notice that there is no odor of plastic or anything for that matter. The lid opens much like the classic water bottle associated with bicycling. I simply pop up the spout and begin drinking. There is an air release valve on the cap that automatically opens as liquid starts flowing out. This feature keeps the fluid flowing evenly and continually, but produces an annoying squeaking sound.
      The bottle stands 11" high while the cap is attached. It can hold 27 oz (798 ml) of any fluid I want to put in it. My bottle is a dark blue color with a black cap, but there are many available color options.

      Field Conditions:

      I attached this water bottle to my bike and went up the Mount Lemmon Highway in Tucson, Arizona. This road offers the biological equivalent of driving from the deserts of Mexico to the forests of Canada. It is a 27 mile long trip one way with elevation starting around 3,000 ft (914 m) and ending at 9,100 ft (2774 m). The Kleen Kanteen was not my only water source, but instead it acted as a refill for my hydration bladder that was inside my pack. The temperature when I started was about 80 F (27 C) and when I got to the top I was riding in a pleasant 60 F (16 C).
      I took my Kleen Kanteen with me to do some peak bagging in the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson, Arizona. Again, it served as a refill for my hydration bladder. I climbed from 4,000 ft (1219 m) to above 9,000 (2743 m) ft in temperatures from 75 F (24 C) to 60 F (16 C).
      I often carry this water bottle with me in the car. In Arizona, I never leave the house without extra water. In this instance I drink directly from the bottle. It goes in the car with me on a daily basis driving across the city in temperatures from 60 F (16 C) up to 110 F (43 C).

      Performance:
      The Kleen Kanteen has preformed as I expected. It holds water or whatever I put in it without spilling. I like the classic style spout that reminds me of a bicycle water bottle. I am not too crazy for the sound that is made as air flows through the valve on the cap, but I understand that it is necessary to maintain a steady flow. I love that the bottle is stainless steel. I can throw it around all I want and it keeps its shape. I have even managed to open a few beer bottles on the opening of the bottle, and aside from a few scratches it looks undamaged. I also like that the inside never has any lingering scents from liquids, whether it be juice or beer or water. I will continue to use this water bottle as a daily driving companion and as an essential extra water storage carrier.

      Pros:
      1. Food-grade stainless steel
      2. Doesn't spill
      3. Strong and durable

      Cons:
      1. Makes a funny sound through the air valve while drinking.
      2. metal construction causes it to heat up quickly in the sun.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2011

        Editors Team Director
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
          Hi Alex,

          Thanks for the review. You are familiar with the procedure now, your edits are below.

          Once the changes are made you can place it at:

          Reviews > Hydration Systems > Bottles > Kleen Kanteen Classic

          Please delete your test files.

          Ray

          ***Listed Weight: 6 oz (170 g)

          EDIT: the listed weight is 6.1 oz without the cap.

          ***Actual Weight: 5.8 oz (164 g)

          EDIT: what is the total weight with the cap?

          ***Size: 27 oz (798 ml)

          EDIT: 27 "fl" oz

          ***MSRP: $19.95

          EDIT: "US" $19.95

          ***The lid opens much like the classic water bottle associated with bicycling.

          Comment: it would be better to say that the sport-cap opens much like the classic water bottle (it is not really a lid.)

          ***This road offers the biological equivalent of driving from the deserts of Mexico to the forests of Canada.

          Edit: do you mean the geographical equivalent?

          ***It is a 27 mile long trip one way

          EDIT: need the metric equivalent (km)

          ***The Kleen Kanteen has preformed as I expected.

          EDIT: performed

          ***2. metal construction causes it to heat up quickly in the sun.

          EDIT: capitalize Metal
        • alex
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
            Ray, thank you for your time. In response to your edit:

            ***This road offers the biological equivalent of driving from the deserts of
            Mexico to the forests of Canada.

            Edit: do you mean the geographical equivalent?

            I actually do mean biological equivalent in reference to the plant life that is seen along the highway. It starts in the Sonoran Desert among the saguaros and the ocotillo and ends in a forest of ponderosa, oak, and mixed conifers. The sentence I wrote is from the National Forest's description of the area.

            Thanks again. I will look around to see what other items I have that I can review.

            > Hi Alex,
            >
            > Thanks for the review. You are familiar with the procedure now, your edits are below.
            >
            > Once the changes are made you can place it at:
            >
            > Reviews > Hydration Systems > Bottles > Kleen Kanteen Classic
            >
            > Please delete your test files.
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > ***Listed Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
            >
            > EDIT: the listed weight is 6.1 oz without the cap.
            >

            > ***Actual Weight: 5.8 oz (164 g)
            >
            > EDIT: what is the total weight with the cap?
            >

            > ***Size: 27 oz (798 ml)
            >
            > EDIT: 27 "fl" oz
            >

            > ***MSRP: $19.95
            >
            > EDIT: "US" $19.95
            >

            > ***The lid opens much like the classic water bottle associated with bicycling.
            >
            > Comment: it would be better to say that the sport-cap opens much like the classic water bottle (it is not really a lid.)
            >

            > ***This road offers the biological equivalent of driving from the deserts of Mexico to the forests of Canada.
            >
            > Edit: do you mean the geographical equivalent?
            >

            > ***It is a 27 mile long trip one way
            >
            > EDIT: need the metric equivalent (km)
            >

            > ***The Kleen Kanteen has preformed as I expected.
            >
            > EDIT: performed
            >

            > ***2. metal construction causes it to heat up quickly in the sun.
            >
            > EDIT: capitalize Metal

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "alex" <alexlegg2@...> wrote:

              > I actually do mean biological equivalent in reference to the plant
              > life that is seen along the highway.<snip> The sentence I wrote is
              > from the National Forest's description of the area.

              OK, that makes sense. You credited them with the sentence then... ;-)

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
                Must be a reference to one our "Sky Islands". Just one more cool thing about AZ.

                jamie d