REPOST - OR - GSI Halulite Minimalist Inteorated Cookset - Charles Nichols

  • hikingshoes
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
      Ray,

      Here is my http://tinyurl.com/3hhapsr <http://tinyurl.com/3hhapsr>
      with my text version too.

      Thanks,Charles

      GSI Halulite Minimalist Integrated cookset
      BY CHARLES NICHOLS
      OR
      April 02, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Charles Nichols
      EMAIL: hikingshoes@... <mailto:hikingshoes@...>
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

      Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked
      sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina,
      Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee.
      I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. After meeting
      other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of
      my own. My current pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Pictured but not included: Coleman F1 stove,waterproof matches
      Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors
      "http://www.gsioutdoors.com/ <http://www.gsioutdoors.com/> " LINK TEXT =
      "www.gsioutdoors.com <http://www.gsioutdoors.com> ">>
      MSRP: US $24.95
      Listed Weight: 6.3 oz (177 g)
      Measured Weight: 6.5 oz (181 g)
      Measured Weight of Pot/Mug with Sleeve: 4.2 oz (118 g)
      Measured Weight of Lid: 1.5 oz (43g)
      Measured Weight of Silicone Gripper: 0.5 oz (13 g)
      Measured Weight of Foon: 0.3 oz (9 g)
      Measured Volume of Pot: 0.6 L (20.29 fl oz)

      Product Description
      The GSI Halulite Minimalist is a solo pot designed for one person with
      an insulated neoprene sleeve. The neoprene sleeve is thin and soft but
      protective enough not to burn my hands. The pot has a dual-purpose lid
      with two modes (boil and sip-it). It also comes with a Foon (spoon and
      fork combination utensil) and pot grabber. The pot gripper is made of
      silicone material. Insert two fingers at the top and the thumb placed on
      the back flap. Place the opening end over the lip of the pot and
      squeeze.The GSI Halulite Minimalist is a .6 L (20.29 fl oz) pot made of
      hard anodized alloy also called Halulite.The Minimalist is everything I
      need for cooking besides my stove and fuel.

      FIELD USE

      I used my GSI Halulite Minimalist four days and four nights on the
      Appalachian Trail (AT). The first two days was at 3500 ft (1067 m) on
      the summit of Max Patch on the AT. Once we reached the summit of Max
      Patch, I began heating 16 fl oz of cold water in my GSI Halulite
      Minimalist pot for supper, within 3 - 4 minutes, I had a boil. After
      turning my stove off I used the pot gripper to pour my hot water into my
      dehydrated meal. When pouring hot water from my pot, I position my hand
      and fingers in my pot gripper placing them on the side of the pot,
      pouring away from my hand and fingers so the steam from the water will
      not burn me. I complete the following steps when using the Halulite to
      boil water. I put my GSI Halulite Minimalist pot in the sleeve and
      attached the sip-it lid (press sip-it lid down to make a seal) so I
      could drink directly from the pot. If I don't use the sip-it lid I could
      burn myself because the exposed pot is still hot. The pot sleeve, has
      worked well at keeping the heat in and not burning my hand. The Foon
      worked well mixing my coffee too. Now I can enjoy a good cup of coffee
      and watch the early morning sunrise.

      Boiling water in sip-it lid mode (ready to drink)

      The next morning I setup my GSI Halulite Minimalist pot to heat up my
      water for breakfast. After adding my water to my pot I placed the sip-it
      lid on the pot as a demonstrated in (Image 1). To avoid losing the pot
      gripper, I attach my pot gripper to the side of my fuel canister (Image
      2). Once, the water comes to a boil I turned my off stove. Once I remove
      the sip-it lid, then I used the pot gripper (Image 3) to lift my pot and
      pour the water into the meal. Once I poured the water in the meal I
      slide the pot into the sleeve (Image 4). Next I added my instant coffee
      directly to my pot, then I turned my sip-it lid over (Image 5) and
      applied a little pressure to seal the sip-it lid to the pot.
      After using the GSI Halulite Minimalist for two more days, I learned
      that it makes it easier to remove and check the water if I turn my
      sip-it lid over (Image 1). I prefer to use it in the sip-it mode (Image
      5), because condensation builts up and drops off and makes a mess (see
      picture below). I have tried boiling water with the sip-it lid turned
      over in the cook/boil mode (Image 1), and drinking mode (Image 5) and it
      works fine both ways.

      Picture taken from GSI instruction booklet . Also a picture with
      condensation dropping off my sip-it lid, after boiling water.

      I have also used the GSI Halulite Minimalist, car camping twice at the
      Tennessee river in Pickwick, Tennessee. On my first two days at the
      river, the weather was awesome and sunny with a little wind blowing just
      enough to make it comfortable. So far I have only used the Halulite for
      boiling water for freeze-dried meals and coffee.I have found that it
      works well for this purpose. I was about to heat 16 fl oz of water and
      within 3 - 4 minutes, I had a boil. After turning my stove off I used my
      pot gripper to pour my hot water into my dehydrated meal.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, The GSI Halulite Minimalist is multifunctional and works very
      well for solo hiking and car camping.
      I can't nest my MSR fuel canister in my GSI Halulite Minimalist pot
      (diameter 4.2"/107 mm) due to the canister diameter being too big. Now
      the Jetpower fuel canister (diameter: 3.5"/89 mm) will nest really well
      in the GSI Halulite Minimalist pot.

      THINGS I LIKE

      * Lightweight
      * Multifunctional for solo hiking
      * Price is not bad at $ 24.95
      * I can nest all my items (stove, Foon, matches, pot gripper, and
      Jetboil fuel canister) very nicely in my GSI Halulite Minimalist.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      * Sip-it lid is a little hard to get off.
      * "Sip" part of the Sip-it lid is not long enough to seal my mouth
      around it.
      * Would be nice if MSR fuel canister also fit "nested" inside the pot.

      SIGNATURE

      Charles W. Nichols

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.

      > Hi Charles,
      >
      > Well it is getting there. You seem to have missed some of the edits I
      gave last time so let's try them again.

      > Please REPOST here when done. Please put a corrected HTML version in
      the test folder AFTER you have deleted the old ones.

      > Ray
      >

      > ***The GSI Halulite Minimalist is a solo pot designed for one person
      with an insulated sleeve.

      > Comment: what is the sleeve made of? What does it feel like? Is it
      soft to the touch, hard? The better we write a description the more
      useful the review is to the readers. The more useful our reviews the
      more likely we will get chosen to test free gear down the road.

      > ***The pot has a dual-purpose lid with two modes (boil and sip-it). It
      also comes with a foon (spoon and fork combination utensil) and pot
      grabber.

      > EDIT: Foon is a proper name. It needs to be capitalized every time you
      use it.

      > Comment: What is the pot grabber made of? How does it work?
      >

      > ***The Minimalist is everything I need for cooking besides your stove
      and fuel.

      > EDIT: we do not use "you" or "your" in our reviews. We keep it in the
      first person to
      > avoid projection. So it is "I", "me", "my" or "mine"
      >

      > *** If I don't use the sip-lit lid I could burn myself because the
      exposed pot is still hot.

      > EDIT: sip-it
      >

      > *** because when in cover mode steam drops off and makes a mess (see
      picture below) so I perfer the sip-it lid mode.

      > EDIT: prefer
      >

      > *** Also a picture with steam dropping off my sip-it lid, after
      boiling water.

      > EDIT: steam is water in its gaseous form. Steam does not drip. The
      steam has condensed back into liquid and that is what is dripping. You
      can say "with condensation dropping off my sip-it lid, after boiling
      water."

      > ***I have also used the GSI Halulite Minimalist, car camping twice at
      the river in Pickwick, Tennessee.

      > EDIT: as the reader has no idea what river is near Pickwick you should
      say "twice at the Tennessee River in Pickwick, Tennessee."

      > ***I can't nest my MSR fuel canister in my GSI Halulite Minimalist pot
      (diameter 4.2"/107 mm) due to the canister diameter being to big.

      > EDIT "too" big
      >

      > **** I can nest all my items (stove, foon, matches, pot gripper, and
      Jet boil fuel canister)

      > EDIT: Foon

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
        All right Charles, It looks good.

        You can place it at:

        Reviews > Cook Gear > Cook Sets > GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist

        Or: http://tinyurl.com/75dawtw

        Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload File,"
        be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the
        instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

        Congratulations on completing your first review.! Time to start the next one. Be sure to apply the things you have learned during this process on your next review.